Corsair Community

commander pro question

specialedge

I have an Asus Crosshair 6 Hero motherboard which has only a single usb2.0 header on the board. My h100iv2 pump previously had failed to interact with Link using the included cable, so I had a mini-usb to usb cable snaked out of my case plugged into the back IO panel. This allowed me to manage the pump and controller in the corsair link utility.

I installed my commander pro and ran the h100iv2 stock usb connector cable into it. H100iv2 failed to show up in corsair link, and the device was not found in windows device manager. It continued to pump and cool my cpu, and the fans were able to turn and leds ran the default program, but I was unable to connect to the pump using the Corsair Link software, nor control the fan LEDs.

The next step I must take will be to test whether another usb2.0 connection will work through the header. But that aside, since the commander pro usb cable is fixed, is the only way I will get this to work by splicing a usb cable into the commander pro? It seems like every step of this process is more trouble, I am wary to find out what is next.

Hi there,

In most cases, you would be able to run the H100i v2 through the Commander Pro. However, there is a known issue with the AsMedia USB chipset and the USB hub on the CoPro. This also apparently affects some other devices, such as the NZXT Internal USB hub. From what I understand, it has something to do with how the AsMedia USB controller works. I know that it's something that Corsair has been looking into but I've not heard of a resolution. Sorry.

"This also apparently affects some other devices, such as the NZXT Internal USB hub."

Whoa, I was planning on plugging my yet to be purchased H150i Pro directly into the NZXT internal USB hub because I am out of internal USB headers. Does this mean that I probably will have trouble with Link recognizing the H150i Pro?

"This also apparently affects some other devices, such as the NZXT Internal USB hub."

Whoa, I was planning on plugging my yet to be purchased H150i Pro directly into the NZXT internal USB hub because I am out of internal USB headers. Does this mean that I probably will have trouble with Link recognizing the H150i Pro?

You may. We've had a couple of reports on here of issues with that internal hub. What we haven't seen are reports of the NZXT hub working just fine - which may be; typically you only see posts where things don't work. So ... "apparently" and not "certainly". I would give it a shot but be prepared to return the device if it doesn't work. And please, let us know one way or another.

Corsair has confirmed the issue with the CoPro.

OK, this is good to know. I'll definitely report back once I make the install. One glimmer of hope is that some reviews on Amazon and Newegg report that the NZXT hub works fine with Corsair Link products (with none of the reviews noting compatibility problems) so that is encouraging. Obviously anecdotal evidence is not definitive. We'll see. Thanks for the heads up.

OK, this is good to know. I'll definitely report back once I make the install. One glimmer of hope is that some reviews on Amazon and Newegg report that the NZXT hub works fine with Corsair Link products (with none of the reviews noting compatibility problems) so that is encouraging. Obviously anecdotal evidence is not definitive. We'll see. Thanks for the heads up.

Well, I can confirm that the NZXT hub does, definitely, work with Corsair Link devices ... at least on a z270 chipset. I have that hub and have several devices connected to it.

You may. We've had a couple of reports on here of issues with that internal hub. What we haven't seen are reports of the NZXT hub working just fine - which may be; typically you only see posts where things don't work. So ... "apparently" and not "certainly". I would give it a shot but be prepared to return the device if it doesn't work. And please, let us know one way or another.

Corsair has confirmed the issue with the CoPro.

I have an H110i (formerly H110i-GT) cooler plugged into a Co-Pro, along with a No-Pro. The Co-Pro USB is plugged into an NZXT AC-IUSBH-M1 internal USB2.0 hub, which is then plugged into my MOBO USB2.0 header, and I can report that it works fine.

I am not sure how relevant this is because the H110i uses a CoolIT pump and the H100i-v2 uses an Asetek pump. The firmware is different in them. AFAIK, the CoolIT pump uses a standard Microsoft HID driver whereas the Asetek pump uses a standard USB to Serial device driver. This difference could affect the issue you are having, so maybe someone with an Asetek based unit and an NZXT hub can chime in here.

I'm don't know the details of the H150i. It's a new model, so most likely an Asetek pump. It's firmware and USB idiosyncrasies may be different than the older models. I think there may be too many variables to guarantee success in any particular system. The NZXT hubs are not expensive, and useful even if you end up not being able to plug your pump or Co-Pro into it for whatever reason. Best bet is to try it and hope it all works. :o:

edit to add - This is on an Asus Maximus X Hero Wifi Z370 MOBO. I have also done this on my X99 rig, but with the old style NZXT (UI01) hub. It worked there too, but - more variables.

OK, thank you for the clarification, guys. I mistakenly read into the thread that the NZXT internal USB2.0 hub might not work with Corsair Link devices at all. But that is not the case -- as confirmed by DevBiker and SpeedyV.

The issue then (in regards to my initial question) is whether the Asetek pump on the H150i Pro might have compatibility issues with the NZXT hub, which remains to be seen.

I think I have it straight now. I regret the confusion on my part.

Either way, my question (and initial worry) more or less is moot now. Because if there IS indeed a compatibility problem with H150i and the NZXT AC-IUSBH-M1 internal USB2.0 hub, I can just plug the H150i Pro directly into my CoPro and then plug one of my NodePros into the NZXT USB2.0 hub. Right now I have 2 NodePros plugged into my CoPro, but I can easily free up a USB slot in the CoPro for the AIO cooler if need be. My mobo has 2 USB2.0 headers to work with -- 1 for the CoPro & the other for the NZXT hub.

Thank you for the clarification everyone!

OK, thank you for the clarification, guys. I mistakenly read into the thread that the NZXT internal USB2.0 hub might not work with Corsair Link devices at all. But that is not the case -- as confirmed by DevBiker and SpeedyV.

The issue then (in regards to my initial question) is whether the Asetek pump on the H150i Pro might have compatibility issues with the NZXT hub, which remains to be seen.

I think I have it straight now. I regret the confusion on my part.

Either way, my question (and initial worry) more or less is moot now. Because if there IS indeed a compatibility problem with H150i and the NZXT AC-IUSBH-M1 internal USB2.0 hub, I can just plug the H150i Pro directly into my CoPro and then plug one of my NodePros into the NZXT USB2.0 hub. Right now I have 2 NodePros plugged into my CoPro, but I can easily free up a USB slot in the CoPro for the AIO cooler if need be. My mobo has 2 USB2.0 headers to work with -- 1 for the CoPro & the other for the NZXT hub.

Thank you for the clarification everyone!

Looking at your system specs, the issue discussed does not impact you at all. It's very specific to the AMD/AsMedia chipset used with the Ryzen and ThreadRipper platforms.

I've not seen or heard of any issues with the various Intel chipsets for either the CoPro or the NZXT internal hub.

Archived