Corsair Community

Corsair H50 starting to fail..

Killer01ws6

Hey Gang,

I have had this H50 in service for 4 or so years.. had it on a I7 920 that I had a mild OC on, zero issues..

A few weeks ago I replaced the 920 with a 980X to go along with my new Monitor and MSI 970s in SLI..

I have to seat 2 times due to me putting a bit much Arctic Silver on.

All seemed good, I did notice at time or two my CPUID monitor would show 0 on low setting but it always was good when I looked at it, temps good.

fast forward to today.. I seen RPMs heavy fluctuation, can now see item temps flux up down by 1-3* on cores also...

So, it is failing.. what is the best new one if the line that will fit same foot print for the fan/Radiator and the same backing plate setup or do I just need to get another H50??

your temp of individual cores will fluctuate depending on the particular load app at any given time,are overall cpu temps still inline?

Yes, I am aware the temps will fluctuate and that is normal..

What I was referring too is the Monitor shows the RPMs varies between 1547 to 1499 real fast with a drop down to 450 or have seen zero... That is on the cooler,

ON the CPU cores yes, again I know the will fluctuate but at Idle you don't seem them changing constantly up and down like now..

And no, they are ranging from 31 to 47C again at idle..

I have not loaded a game and played today fearing a failure and it would only take minutes to fry this new 980

I guess I can load Prime up and watch it closely and see... I have my temps screen shots from OC tests so I can see if they are falling out of line that way.

Ok, Stressing it hard in Prime with my normal and a heavier OC...

the temps stay within acceptable margins..

But the repetitious fluctuation of the RPMs on the H50 still bother me..

I'd still like to know if Corsair deems this normal and what other models would fit the same backplate so I could do a easy swap if needed.

Thanks.

Pete

Yes, I am aware the temps will fluctuate and that is normal..

What I was referring too is the Monitor shows the RPMs varies between 1547 to 1499 real fast with a drop down to 450 or have seen zero... That is on the cooler,

ON the CPU cores yes, again I know the will fluctuate but at Idle you don't seem them changing constantly up and down like now..

And no, they are ranging from 31 to 47C again at idle..

I have not loaded a game and played today fearing a failure and it would only take minutes to fry this new 980

Sorry I have a habit of speed reading and at times miss points in a post.

my hydro's vary around 50 rpm at any given time but rather than rely on your software,it would be best to get a pump reading in your bios for accuracy.

as for your core temp spikes load your task mgr and look to see if theres any high demand processes going on that would spike your core temps ,it may be that your new CPU puts out more heat which results in higher idle temp spikes...

Sorry I have a habit of speed reading and at times miss points in a post.

my hydro's vary around 50 rpm at any given time but rather than rely on your software,it would be best to get a pump reading in your bios for accuracy.

as for your core temp spikes load your task mgr and look to see if theres any high demand processes going on that would spike your core temps ,it may be that your new CPU puts out more heat which results in higher idle temp spikes...

Its Cool, I do the same thing ha.

Yes, it does have a higher idle than my 920, but it is also higher than it was with the 980X a week or so ago...

Is the CPU Fan (or any other fan port on the motherboard that the pump is plugged into) set to always run at 100% or full speed?

If its connected to the psu via 4pin to molex try a different cable?

I had wondered if that is what made the pump have issues...

when I did the CPU swap, I did a reset to default and built the 980 its own profile. well I forgot to go back and turn smartfan off.. it is 100% Manual now, but for a while it was not..

Also, I do have it plugged into the CPU fan header.

That's quite likely the cause. It would also explain why it didn't do it on load as much since the cpu fan port would be running full speed then, but fluctuate on idle heavily.

Agreed,

Same conclusion that I came too..

but my main questions are still not answered...

is the 1580 to 644 fluctuation a sigh the pump is dying and if so.. what other modes would work as good or better in my HAF case and use the same backplate as the H50

it would make sense for the pump to be throttled by the motherboard if it wasn't correctly set to 100% fan speed since it would be giving it less voltage.

Now that you have it set to 100% fan speed (or full speed) does the pump still fluctuate like crazy? If so try it in another fan port (to be sure it isn't the mobo) and it if still fluctuates like that then its failing.

Random small rpm fluctuations are normal but not the big dips you were seeings.

it would make sense for the pump to be throttled by the motherboard if it wasn't correctly set to 100% fan speed since it would be giving it less voltage.

Now that you have it set to 100% fan speed (or full speed) does the pump still fluctuate like crazy? If so try it in another fan port (to be sure it isn't the mobo) and it if still fluctuates like that then its failing.

Random small rpm fluctuations are normal but not the big dips you were seeings.

Yes, it still jumps around.. the lowest it goes is 475rpms that is rare, but it will drop to 675 more often..

The fluctuating pump speed is a bad sign. Newer models that you can use in the same space: H55, H60, H75, H80i.

I kind of see issues it seems with the H80i...

if all 4 of these will fit the same backplate and radiator mounts.. what are the main Cooling differences if any?

The H60 and H80i use the same bracket. They are produced by CoolIT, therefore uses CoolIt's pump design. The H80i has a thicker radiator over the other three meaning there will be lower temperatures allowing more room to overclock your CPU.

H55 and H75 are made by Asetek, they use Asetek's pump design. The radiator thickness is about the same with the H60 so cooling performance wise, it may be similar, you can confirm it by looking at reviews.

The fluctuating pump speed is a bad sign. Newer models that you can use in the same space: H55, H60, H75, H80i.

The H60 and H80i use the same bracket. They are produced by CoolIT, therefore uses CoolIt's pump design. The H80i has a thicker radiator over the other three meaning there will be lower temperatures allowing more room to overclock your CPU.

H55 and H75 are made by Asetek, they use Asetek's pump design. The radiator thickness is about the same with the H60 so cooling performance wise, it may be similar, you can confirm it by looking at reviews.

Now I am confused again..I want to order a replacement on cyber monday.. but I want a drop in a be done.. I don't want to have to pull the MOB out and replace the back plate for the pump.. will any of the above give me that option or am I stuck with a H50 again

What Dustin said where you can use the H55, H60, H75, H80i in the same space is the 120mm radiator that they all have in common.

The H55 and H75 by eye balling the block should work fine with the H50 backplate.

If you buy a H60 or H80i, you will need to replace the backplate.

What Dustin said where you can use the H55, H60, H75, H80i in the same space is the 120mm radiator that they all have in common.

The H55 and H75 by eye balling the block should work fine with the H50 backplate.

If you buy a H60 or H80i, you will need to replace the backplate.

Thats what I was looking for!! H75 it is. Tnks Man!

• 2 weeks later...

FYI

For those that research on such later..

I replaced my suspected H50 with a H75 as I said I was...

the 75s RPMs stay rock solid between 1930 and 1885.. so no low dip down to 400s or zero, so H50 was failing.. I put my 4.4G OC back and it runs 8*+ cooler also..

I had made my own push-pull on the H50, it comes that way on H75.. tad(1 to 2 db) louder that old setup... but I am glad I noticed the old one starting to fail and went with a better pump..

The H75 did mount on the old already seated backplate FYI also.

Archived