Corsair Community

High CPU Temperatures until post stress test

UKChris

Hi

This one is a strange one, on initial boot (and the CPU in idle) the package temperature sits around 50 Degrees with the 110iGTX fan and pump running in performance mode. This will not go down until i do a stress test for 5 minutes (via Intel extreme tuning) which has the CPU thermally throttled as its at 100 degrees (not good I know). post this the package temperature drops to ~40 degrees (probably as the cooler has not caught up.

Now if I repeat the stress test, the package temperature only gets to 70 degrees.

Post this, the temperatures settle down to 40 degrees (ambient temperature is 26 degrees).

I have removed and replaced the heat sink and replaced the heat sink compound, this made no difference.

Any ideas?

I just shut down (power off) and restarted into the bios, prior to this the CPU temps were around 40 Degrees.

Once in the BIOS temps rose to ~60 Degrees, I then continued to boot and the package temperature was at 89 Degrees.

Now fully booted (idel except for this forum window), temps are at 74 degrees, H110 temp is 49.2 (holding) and fans / pump are on full

It sounds like a pump issue but the "settling down" after a load test is quite odd.

Question: have you verified that the fan header that the pump is on is in PWM mode or 100%/DC Mode? It looks like your BIOS setting for the fan header would be "Full Speed" for the fan header that the pump is plugged in to (assuming that you don't have a SATA power connection ... I don't think the H110 does from the manual but I may be incorrect).

H110GTX/H115i is SATA powered. (Usual omission in the manual). 50C coolant temp is too warm for any Sky Lake at that room temperature. Best guess is there is some kind of intermittent power issue. This could be in the unit or elsewhere. Try a different SATA connection or PSU point. If no change, it may be on the unit. Keep a line graph of pump speed up in Link or some other program. If power is cutting in and out, it should show with rpm fluctuations.

• Corsair Employee
74°C for idle is way too high, that's load temp for most systems under load. There's something off here, just not sure what's causing it. When you reseated the pump, did you make sure that you have a full contact between the pump/coldplate and CPU? I really hope that this is just a poor contact.

Well i took the heat sink off again and refitted it, temperatures have improved on start up, but still hit 60 degrees on idle.

I was just reading a thread where someone said that having one pipe significantly warmer than the other is a sign of a faulty pump. I have that however i would have though that if the cooler was doing it's work then this would be expected?

No, you have some kind of flow problem. It’s not a contact issue. Your coolant temp is too high for any normal use and this is not possible if the cpu and cold plate don’t transfer heat.

The part you need to resolve is whether this is a blockage (replace cooler) or a bad power connection (you fix this). Most likely it is the former, but a RMA is not completely hassle free, so you want to rule out the simple fixes. Move the SATA power connection to a different PSU line and see if it improves. You should see a H115i Temp (coolant) of 4-6C over your room temp at cold boot. If you boot up and the H115i temp ticks up every few seconds, coolant is not moving, no matter what the pump speed reads. You may also notice high coolant temps (40C+) but with cool radiator exhaust.

If you haven’t done so already, start the tech support ticket. You can add more info later if needed.

Thanks for teh quick reply, I have a RMA open at the moment and jumping through the hoops, however the though of loosing the PC for a few weeks does not thrill me.

The pump does not seem to be cutting out, I can shut down most of the fans and hear the pump, in fact if you switch from performance to silent you get a change in CPU temperature. Next chance i get to get the case open I will swap the power cables around.

I am starting to suspect a blockage of some sort too, :sigh!:

Unfortunately I agree and you need to have a back-up cooler these days if you need to stay operational. You can go about this in several different ways.

1) As suggested above, get a decent mid-size air tower. It can sit in the box for an eternity and it doesn't matter. Few moving parts to fail. Fans can always be cheaply replaced. Watch out for ones with really intricate installation procedures.

2) Another water cooler either cheap and disposable or something in a different flavor. I eventually went this route after my RAM choices made the air tower back up obsolete. Also, I can take down and reinstall 15 H110 GTXs in the amount of time it takes to install 1 single Dark Rock Pro 3 air block. If you are an elf with mild magical abilities than the little wrenches should pose less difficulty.

3) Ask support about an advanced RMA where they place a hold charge on your credit card, ship you the new unit, and drop the charge when you send the old back to them. You have to ask for this and it is not always available, but should be for the UK on a common model. FYI, good chance you will get a H115i back instead. This is not an issue. Same cooler, slightly better firmware.

Well I couldn't wait for the RMA so i fitted a new h115i, on the out of the box standard setting, idle sits around 30 degrees (ambient is 26 in the case) and reaches a dazzling 50 degrees during a 15 min stress test.

Looks like the old cooler was the problem, back to Corsair it goes.

Archived