Corsair Community

Corsair Obsidian 1000D USB connection and fan help

sanadsaad

Hi guys. Ive just bought a Corsair Obsidian 1000d. The motherboard I'm using is the ASUS Crosshair Hero VII. I can see 6 cables coming from the front panel.

2 x USB 3 connectors for 2 Type C ports

2 x thicker USB connectors for 4 USB ports

1 x Power cable

1 x Reset cable

My motherboard has 1 x USB 3 Gen 2 port which takes one of the USB 3 connector. The other USB 3 x Gen 1 port takes one of the thicker connectors which im assuming is USB ports. The power and reset cable go into the pins on the respective pins on the motherboard. My questions are:

1. What to do with the remaining 2 cables? I can see a solution on the forums to get a usb 3 gen 1 to gen 2 converter. That would solve the 2 cables for type C but then i'll have 4 non functioning usb front panel connectors. Anyone else have the same problem?

2. On the pins for power and reset, there's also HD LEDs pin which isn't on the case. There are some wires on the back but im assuming those are for ITX board so i've left them unconnected. Is there any cable im missing that goes on the board?

3. This will be a water-cooled build at a later stage. At the moment, i'll be using air cooled till I get familiar with overclocking again after a gap of 6 years. How many case fans do you think I need at this stage? Should I get a 3 pack of ML 140/120 or more?

I would really appreciate your help. Decided to get back into PC after travelling from place to place and really keen on making my own desktop so please pardon any questions that may sound stupid. Thanks!!

Hi buddy...

firstly..

if you are heading down the RGB road...

read this.

http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=173880..

Here is my 1000d build log.. similar plan to yours..

http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=180073

1. didnt have the Problem my self as my board had 2 of the connectors reacquired for front IO 4 x usbs.. none on my board for types C's.. so will prob get the converter pcie card for them. but i have little use for type C right now... but remember all those Front IO ports are designed to be shared between 2 systems...

2. no cable missing and i only used power and reset and audio my self...

3. personally I would fill it with fans as a priority to reduce costs when adding the Loop etc.. but i did run my with 4 in front. 3 up top and 2 in the rear for a week or 2 with no issues....

4. welcome aboard matey :)

My motherboard only has one usable USB 2 header as well. I got one of the NZXT USB extensions, it works well enough, but is another item to mount and hide. Worst part though is that is uses an old school molex connection for power. Seriously NZXT, molex? So *another* cable from the PSU.

https://www.amazon.ca/NZXT-AC-IUSBH-M1-Internal-USB-Hub/dp/B01IFGFTJ2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1542550067&sr=8-1&keywords=nzxt+usb+hub

My motherboard only has one usable USB 2 header as well. I got one of the NZXT USB extensions, it works well enough, but is another item to mount and hide. Worst part though is that is uses an old school molex connection for power. Seriously NZXT, molex? So *another* cable from the PSU.

https://www.amazon.ca/NZXT-AC-IUSBH-M1-Internal-USB-Hub/dp/B01IFGFTJ2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1542550067&sr=8-1&keywords=nzxt+usb+hub

LOL, yeah. I have the same hub. It is the only molex connection in my system so I would up getting a SATA => Molex adapter!

Hi buddy...

firstly..

if you are heading down the RGB road...

read this.

http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=173880..

Here is my 1000d build log.. similar plan to yours..

http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=180073

1. didnt have the Problem my self as my board had 2 of the connectors reacquired for front IO 4 x usbs.. none on my board for types C's.. so will prob get the converter pcie card for them. but i have little use for type C right now... but remember all those Front IO ports are designed to be shared between 2 systems...

2. no cable missing and i only used power and reset and audio my self...

3. personally I would fill it with fans as a priority to reduce costs when adding the Loop etc.. but i did run my with 4 in front. 3 up top and 2 in the rear for a week or 2 with no issues....

4. welcome aboard matey :)

Thanks a lot for support and making me feel welcome! Ok so overclockers UK have the ML fans on black Friday deals on 3packs 120mm and 2pack 140mm. I'm thinking of getting three 120mm 3 packs (9 fans) and 2 140mm 2 packs (4fans). I was thinking of either going for an 8 front, 3 top and two back fans but that will give a 140/120 mismatch at the back. The whole setup costs 298 pounds. If I add the lightning node pro with 4 led strips, it becomes 350. What do you think @Zotty?

Well, if you are getting a total of 5 multipacks, you don't need to get the strips with a NoPro. You should be able to save a couple of quid if you just get the Expansion pack, which just as the strips.

Since it's a Black Friday deal, it's probably cheaper to get the multipacks but if it isn't then you can replace some of them with singles. You'll need at least 3 multipacks tho (for the RGB Fan Hubs).

Ok, so I've purchased the following after your advice @DevBiker and looking at @Zotty's build log:

3 x triple fan packs ML 120 RGB

1 x twin fan pack ML 140 RGB

1 x 120mm ML 120 RGB

1 x 140mm ML RGB

2 x LED RGB controllers

2 x pwm fan splitters to control all front fans on one copro

1 x co pro for the top/rear

1 x LED rgb expansion pack with 4 led strips

30cm fan extension leads x 2 (will need more but unavailable at OCUK)

They will all come in hopefully by tomorrow so I can start decorating this case like a Christmas tree! Will need all the help I can get guys. Never done this before.

Everything is here. Connected all the fans. Now trying to route cables. Only problem I see is not enough USB headers on crosshair VII hero. @Zotty, I kept all the fan cables facing inward like you for the front fans. Do you have a picture of your cable routing and copro placement?

Everything is here. Connected all the fans. Now trying to route cables. Only problem I see is not enough USB headers on crosshair VII hero. @Zotty, I kept all the fan cables facing inward like you for the front fans. Do you have a picture of your cable routing and copro placement?

Hi bud.. will try to get some better photo's sorted for you soon as i can ;).. as for copro.. it's mounted next to the 1000d copro.. side by side.

http://i.imgur.com/rb9zqvHl.png

http://i.imgur.com/Q9YodMCl.jpg

Thanks a lot! I have connected all cables to CoPros and LED RGB controllers as follows:

Front fans:

8 fans on CoPro 1

6 LEDS on one LED hub, 2 LEDs on second RGB hub, both LEDs connected to CoPro 1

USB of CoPro 1 connected to USB of CoPro 2

Rear fans:

All 5 fans on CoPro 2 and LEDs on RGB hub connected to CoPro 2

USB of CoPro 2 connected on USB of motherboard

Trouble is, only 5 fans are showing up in iCue and only the front fans are lighting up. Not sure where the issue is.

Update: All fans working fine. Turns out the LED 1 on one of the CoPros is defective. When I switched the fan hub LED with case front LED, the fans led turned on and case front led went off. Might need to talk to corsair about a replacement. Still no joy in icue but ready to manage cables now that all issues have been identified and sorted.

@Zotty, thanks for that. Useful to know about that connector. The trouble is this:

Included CoPro has LED 1 & 2 connector. When I have the case LED on 2, the case logo and peripherals glow. The fan LED hub on 1 doesnt work. When I switch the two, the fan LEDs work but the case logo and peripherals go dark. This leads me to wonder if the LED 1 is dead. What do you think?

Update:

Still no devices in Link or iCUE

Archived