Corsair Community

New 120 GB Corsair Force 2 SSD, laptop at times does not detect drive, cold start

dinub1

Hello folks, I am new to this forum.

This is my 3rd SSD. I am travelling on assignment to S CA but I live in WA State.

I just bought this top of the line HP dv7 laptop and thought to replace the HDD with a 120 GB SDD.

I chose this time the Corsair Force 2 SSD. My former other 2 SSD's (which are currently in use in desktops) are ********.

I bought your's from Fry's Electronics. They do not carry ********. I do not regret buying Corsair. :)

With this Corsair SSD I am glad to report instl went flawlessly, I cloned the Win 7 HDD disk, swapped drives and presto :)

The only issue I had so far is, when laptop is started, after a complete shut down (cold start) the laptop says "no drive detected".

I have to restart again or press alt+ctrl+delete after that message and it goes thru. I setup laptop not to sleep. When I shut down or need to reboot

I do a complete shutdown and not just restart from Windows.

I know these are known issues with SSDs installed in laptops. With the SSD's installed on destops I do not have such issue. Is there a work around this?

• Corsair Employee
There is a known issue with some OEM systems and MB's the BIOS may put the SSD in the incorrect state and when it wakes up it may not detect the SSD drive until its shut down and restarted. And using suspend to disk would be suggested. However, your issue is slightly different in that it does this from a cold boot if I understand your post correctly and as such I would suggest checking for the latest driver version for the chipset as that will be the most likely cause of that issue. Its putting the SSD in the wrong state at shut down and when you turn it back on it will not detect until you reset the system.

RAM GUY,

I think the issue is not serious. This Corsair SDD needs a little bit longer initialization time.

After no drive is found during cold boot, if I do a Alt+ctr+delete it boots normally. I think it is an initialization issue. Not a biggie. Thank you for your reply.

RAM GUY,

I think the issue is not serious. This Corsair SDD needs a little bit longer initialization time.

After no drive is found during cold boot, if I do a Alt+ctr+delete it boots normally. I think it is an initialization issue. Not a biggie. Thank you for your reply.

Try the work around in the stickies for the startup and hibernate issue. ::pirate::

Try the work around in the stickies for the startup and hibernate issue. ::pirate::

Thank you Yellowbeard, but I do not seem to have a hibernate issue. It is just a slow initialization of the AHCI driver in my view.

The only issue I had so far is, when laptop is started, after a complete shut down (cold start) the laptop says "no drive detected".I have to restart again or press alt+ctrl+delete after that message and it goes thru. I setup laptop not to sleep. When I shut down or need to reboot

I do a complete shutdown and not just restart from Windows.

I know these are known issues with SSDs installed in laptops. With the SSD's installed on destops I do not have such issue. Is there a work around this?

This occurs LONG before the OS is present and cannot be affected by the AHCI driver. Just try the work around, If it does not help, set it back the other way. But, based on our testing, your cold start issue above is exactly what the work around is set to address.

This occurs LONG before the OS is present and cannot be affected by the AHCI driver. Just try the work around, If it does not help, set it back the other way. But, based on our testing, your cold start issue above is exactly what the work around is set to address.

@Yellowbeard,

I think I expressed myself wrong. In my view is the AHCI hardware and the BIOS that have an issued detecting the SSD and not the OS AHCI driver. So yes, it is "long" before the OS kicks in with its drivers.

I just do an alt+ctrl+del one more time and then Win 7 boots.

Interesting, this does not happen on warm starts (Windows restart). and sometimes the cold starts also boot fine.

I need to get some time and read the work around. I do not see this issue as a big one. Otherwise the Corsair SSD works just great!

Yellow, your picture reminds me of an early Jethro Tull :biggrin:

I have a HP NX6320 which had the same issue...no drive detected...shutting down and restarting resolved the issue...It wouldnt happen every time and originally I would go into the BIOS to check what was happening....

Perhaps its an issue with HP laptops....?

Yellowbeard, could you please post a link to the work around and stickies for my "issue"? I do not seem to find it. Much appreciated.

Regards.

dinub1

Is that it? Disable quick boot? I knew it... SSD does not initialize fast enough for quick boot. I could equally extend the boot screen time from initially 0 sec to what is set now, now 5 sec, but I should extend it more. Like 10-20 sec. That practically equals "disable quick boot".

It works for me :) thank you.

There is a known issue with some OEM systems and MB's the BIOS may put the SSD in the incorrect state and when it wakes up it may not detect the SSD drive until its shut down and restarted. And using suspend to disk would be suggested. However, your issue is slightly different in that it does this from a cold boot if I understand your post correctly and as such I would suggest checking for the latest driver version for the chipset as that will be the most likely cause of that issue. Its putting the SSD in the wrong state at shut down and when you turn it back on it will not detect until you reset the system.

RAM GUY,

After the fact... :) This is just a 1 week old HP laptop. And I already upgraded anything on it, including the chip set drivers. All is up-to-date.

Your response makes sense from a logical point of view, only that I think that's not it. The issue being (apparently) a slow SSD initialization time. As long as this laptop's boot time is longer than the SSD's initialization time, system boots normally. When that is shorter (aka quick boot enabled), then the system does not immediately see the SSD.

Therefore disabling the quick boot (as per the work around, & stickies) forces a longer boot, which allows the SSD to properly initialize, and therefore be seen by BIOS before OS kicks in.

Archived