Corsair Community

H100I Coil Whine noise?

Tinker765

I sound like a right prat now lol as i was bigging up this cooler the other day! But the last few days i have been noticing ( In the evening mostly due to there being less noise) A constant coil whine noise which i can hear if i tilt my head in different directions.... So today i unplugged the GPU, every single fan, hard drive which left psu mobo and h100i running, i stuck my head in close it sounded like it was coming from the pump, so i unplugged the pump for 10 seconds and as soon as i unplugged it the noise was gone!

So is this noise normal? That is all i want to know, yes it is annoying but i just want to know if they all do this.

Thank you!

Hi tinker786,

Are you sure its not coming from the psu?

Normally psu,s are typical culprit for coil whine, But from what you say, you have unplugged the pump for 10 seconds and the sound went away, so that kinda sounds like the pump.

Did you also get this from Scan, Did you get this with the h105?

i have heard that some of the top end air coolers perform just as good AIO liquid coolers plus you don't have to worry about leaks.

Fifo i have a brand new antec 750 platinum, also like i said i turned every fan off, hard drive off, took graphics card out, which left mobo, pump and psu on i then unplugged the pump and immediately the noise was gone. I have googled it and many people are reporting the same issue with the h100i it's the most annoying coil whine noise that is constant... Arghh i will never buy corsair again fifo there awful quality.

No i got the 2 x h100i from box.co.uk i just cannot believe i have gone through 6 x brand new corsair aio coolers and all were defects! Cannot make this stuff up.

The H105 was ok but was a very loud constant buzz with that one, and it didn't fit properly in my case. Yep i think i am going to end this nightmare and go for an air cooler!

Sorry to hear about your h100i problems, when i originally tried it is was quiet, i never had it for long hence did not test in anger, so i take it this noise started coming some time after initial install. Cause you said it was very quiet when you fitted it, so i probably started makingvthe noise after some use.

Sorry to hear about your h100i problems, when i originally tried it is was quiet, i never had it for long hence did not test in anger, so i take it this noise started coming some time after initial install. Cause you said it was very quiet when you fitted it, so i probably started makingvthe noise after some use.

Yeah i noticed it a day or so after install, I'm just going to stick my intel stock cooler back on till i decide what i will buy next. Shame you cannot get the h220 in the Uk.

I gotta level with you, dude, you may just have extremely sensitive hearing and I suspect any liquid cooler you get - including the Swiftech - is going to give you similar problems.

Not at all Dustin, I like a quiet system but i can handle noise etc if it is normal noise but the noise i get from the coolers i have received from corsair are abnormal noises.

• Corsair Employee

I can understand liking a quiet system, but Occam's Razor applies. You've had one after another of closed loop coolers and ALL of them have had pump noise that's irritating. This is extremely rare. So either you've had a bad run of luck or you just happen to be sensitive to pump noise; not your fault, it's just the way things work out.

If you do try a liquid cooler from a competitor and find the noise more tolerable, please let us know, though.

I can understand liking a quiet system, but Occam's Razor applies. You've had one after another of closed loop coolers and ALL of them have had pump noise that's irritating. This is extremely rare. So either you've had a bad run of luck or you just happen to be sensitive to pump noise; not your fault, it's just the way things work out.

If you do try a liquid cooler from a competitor and find the noise more tolerable, please let us know, though.

Well i have never been a lucky person that's for sure, I might be slightly ocd about this i guess lol, Well received another h100i which makes the same noise it is not loud but annoying BUT i am going to keep it as it appears they all make this noise.

I switched the Antec PSU to a EVGA 750 gold g2 it is really nice.

• Corsair Employee

Honestly I appreciate you being willing to give us as many chances as you have.

If you do wind up swapping to a different vendor's product in the future, I'd still like to know if you have the same problems with them that you had with us.

Thanks Dustin, I am testing out a Silverstone Tundra TD02-E tomorrow, i know there not the best performance wise but by some of the reviews i have seen they seem to be on a par with the H100i.

Shame as i really do like the H100I, performance and the looks is spot on just this noise that the pump makes has got the better of me lol.

The nightmare continues! Got the Silverstone td02-E today installed it and re-seated it 4 times due to high temps.. I am getting 75 c in bios and 60 c in windows at idle!!! AIO water coolers are an absolute joke.

Pump is working as the rpm is 2700, But if i touch the pump block it is red hot!

• Corsair Employee

SilverStone makes a lot of great products. The TD02-E is not one of them.

If you want to try a better AIO and are burned out on Corsair stuff, NZXT's stuff is usually pretty solid, and Swiftech's solutions get a lot of love. Would be curious to hear your experiences with those, personally.

Thank's for the tips Dustin i will take a look later. The installation of the Silverstone was awful also, nice looking unit!

Trouble with swiftech is i don't think i can get them in the UK? All i want is a watercooler with similar performance as to the h100i but without any annoying pump noises!

Coil whine is a very hard thing to deal with and to figure out the root cause, it's usually when certain frequencies cause electronics to vibrate.

in the end it's usually related to the PSU even though the noise is coming from the watercooler, or videocard, or ram ....etc, it's probably some frequency the PSU is throwing out conflicting with the h100i (or even something else near it), I suggest trying another PSU (another brand as even different models from the manufactures are likely to have the same or similar parts / brands internals)

I used to have a bad coil whine issue with my videocard and turns out every corsair PSU i tried had the same results, I changed over to OCZ and noise went away.

Coil whine is a very hard thing to deal with and to figure out the root cause, it's usually when certain frequencies cause electronics to vibrate.

in the end it's usually related to the PSU even though the noise is coming from the watercooler, or videocard, or ram ....etc, it's probably some frequency the PSU is throwing out conflicting with the h100i (or even something else near it), I suggest trying another PSU (another brand as even different models from the manufactures are likely to have the same or similar parts / brands internals)

I used to have a bad coil whine issue with my videocard and turns out every corsair PSU i tried had the same results, I changed over to OCZ and noise went away.

It's not my PSU, it did the same noise on my old PSU i then brought a new EVGA 750 gold g2 and noise is still there. It is the pump and reading on google there are many out there encountering the same problem,

Archived