Corsair Community

On-demand "TRIM" for WinXP

RejZoR

I have just ordered Corsair Force 3 120GB drive for my netbook. However i'm limited to WinXP only on it (no, Win7 is not an option).

Are there any tools to perform TRIM like optimizations under WinXP. Something like Intel offers for their drives? Or some other 3rd party tool that does the same job. I know SandForce is suppose to perform automatic garbage collection but i somehow have doubts about its effectiveness under non TRIM operating system like WinXP. I'll tweak WinXP so it will make a minimal load on the SSD, but this is really the only important thing that i'd like to sort out when needed and not when controller decides to maybe clean up the drive...

Actually i was more thinking of a Windows utility that can do such thing. I thought writing zeros to all empty sectors is what TRIM does. Is there no such program that would do that?

I mean Intel does offer such software, but only for their drives. So i guess it's possible, but no other vendor seems to put effort in such utility... Oh and it has to be reliable. Data storage is a segment where instability or bad design has no place.

I never said i want a native automatic thing like TRIM in Win7. I just asked if there is any program which can do the same thing as TRIM but on demand whever i want it to perform the cleanup and not the controller itself which will do that god knows when and how often.

I never said i want a native automatic thing like TRIM in Win7. I just asked if there is any program which can do the same thing as TRIM but on demand whever i want it to perform the cleanup and not the controller itself which will do that god knows when and how often.

The guys over here do not know what you mean.

I got the same experience at this threat:

http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=96776

it's a big site; got a specific link?
Yes but like I already told you, there is VERY little information available. It's proprietary and they do not explain publicly how it works.

LINK

Technology

Automatic Encryption

RAISE

SATA 6Gb/s Interface DuraClass technology represents a set of NAND flash management features that work in tandem to deliver world-class SSD reliability, performance, and power efficiency that differentiate SandForce SSD Processors from standard flash controllers. Of particular importance is the use of processing elements to optimally overcome a number of the inherent issues associated with commodity NAND flash memory. DuraClass features include:

•DuraWrite, which optimizes the number of program cycles to the flash effectively extending flash rated endurance by 20x or more when compared to standard controllers.

•Powerful flash media error correction (ECC) and RAISE (Redundant Array of Independent Silicon Elements), which deliver an orders-of-magnitude improvement in drive reliability versus today’s best enterprise HDDs and SSDs. The result is single-drive RAID-like protection and recovery from a potentially catastrophic flash block failures – all while avoiding the inefficiencies of traditional RAID.

•Advanced Wear Leveling and Monitoring - Optimized wear leveling algorithms, further extending flash endurance

•Advanced Read/Program Disturb Management, which safeguards against errant re-programming of cells during read and program cycles

•Recycler, which intelligently performs garbage collection with the least impact on flash endurance.

Scalable Technology for Generations to Come

With smaller silicon geometries and the trend toward packing more bits per cell in flash devices, there has been a dramatic reduction in the cost-per-Gigabyte for NAND flash-based SSDs which has accelerated deployment in mainstream applications. However, these changes have also reduced the reliability characteristics of flash devices, i.e., lower endurance, worse data integrity, and shorter data retention, placing increasing importance on advanced flash management technology. DuraClass technology is architected to scale and compensate for commodity NAND flash memory shortcomings ensuring SSDs can be reliably used in enterprise and client computing environments for generations to come.

Well this still doesn't exactly help for what i was asking. I found out that O&O Defrag 14 supports TRIM on demand on every SSD regardless of OS (i assume) through some commandline command. However it's not free, though with 30 EUR pricetag it's not the most expensive thing on Earth.

I've sent them a mail with some questions regarding this feature. I'll post the anwers here when i get them.

Archived