Corsair Community

Cannot get commander pro to fire Node pro strips

Arock387

So, today my commander pro, lightning node pro, and rear HD120 fan arrived. I plugged all the fans PWM lines into fan ports 1-4 on the commander, and the RGB ports into the fan splitter, then splitter into LED channel 2, fans work. Check

Ran the RGB strips around the case, connecting them, then taking the last one with a cord and running it to LED channel 1.... that sit right? Then I plugged the USB port and SATA port from the commander into available slots on the motherboard and free sata port.

Everything is in, right? Check?

Fans light up and work beautifully. RGB strips on the other hand wont light up. They are detected in corsair Link (latest version) and I can change them, I have hit up to four strips. the channels are set correctly and configured

Troubleshooting I have done;

-Plugged the Lightning Node Pro controller in and looped the other side to power just to make sure they work. I can configure Node Pro and change everything in Link, so the strips work

- Unplugged the strips and used the fan RGB splitter port to test both Channel 1 and 2 on the commander pro, both work..

So then why wont the commander pro light up the RGB strips? I'm not supposed to need the lighting node pro controller right? Isn't the Commander Pro supposed to handle the strips?

I would also like to add that I just realized I burned money when I bought the lightning node pro as they now sell just the RGB strips in the expansion pack, oh well. I still cant figure out how to get the strips to work without having the Lightning node pro installed.

Kind of beginning to irk me. everything works by itself. Am I missing some kind of power for the LED strips without the node pro controller? How do I get the USB to plug in to the node pro if the other end is micro USB

MarkAnthony TS: Hi, my name is MarkAnthony TS. How may I help you?

Alex Rock: Hello

Alex Rock: So yesterday my lighting node pro and cmmander pro arrived

Alex Rock: I hooked them all up, but I cant seem to figure out how to get the LED strips going without also hooking up the entire node pro controller, I was under the impression all I needed was the commander pro?

Alex Rock: Corsair Link is up to date, and the fans work and light up perfectly

Alex Rock: but when the strips are plugged to LED #1 on the commander they wont light up, unless I also plug in the node pro controller, but thenthe commander pro doesn't control the lighting and I need to use the node pro seperately

Alex Rock: Am I correct in thinking I'm not supposed to need the Lightning Node Pro controller installed? Isnt the string of LEDs supposed to connect into the LED port of the commander pro and that's it?

MarkAnthony TS has disconnected.

This was my CS chat real cool guys

MarkAnthony TS: Hi, my name is MarkAnthony TS. How may I help you?

Alex Rock: Hello

Alex Rock: So yesterday my lighting node pro and cmmander pro arrived

Alex Rock: I hooked them all up, but I cant seem to figure out how to get the LED strips going without also hooking up the entire node pro controller, I was under the impression all I needed was the commander pro?

Alex Rock: Corsair Link is up to date, and the fans work and light up perfectly

Alex Rock: but when the strips are plugged to LED #1 on the commander they wont light up, unless I also plug in the node pro controller, but thenthe commander pro doesn't control the lighting and I need to use the node pro seperately

Alex Rock: Am I correct in thinking I'm not supposed to need the Lightning Node Pro controller installed? Isnt the string of LEDs supposed to connect into the LED port of the commander pro and that's it?

MarkAnthony TS has disconnected.

This was my CS chat real cool guys

Sorry to hear you are having problems with Corsair tech support. I wouldn't waste anymore time talking to them. Disconnecting was probably doing you a favor as at least they are not wasting your time telling you to RMA, or format and re-install your OS, which are their go-to responses.

YES the CLCP (Commander Pro) should be able to control 4 x LED strips off of either LED port. The CLNP (Lighting Node Pro) is redundant which is why they now offer the LED strips as a separate item. I don't know what the problem is but your assumptions are correct and it sounds like you have wired it up correctly.

BTW - There is nothing magic about Corsair LED strips other than their higher price. You can use any WS2812B 5VDC Individually Addressable LED strip. See http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?t=168504&highlight=WS2812B.

• Corsair Employee

To be fair, there ARE reasons to go with our strips.

For one, they're actually designed to work with Corsair Link software which does depend on LED count.

Another, they use a specific connector so they can't be connected the wrong way.

Third, we use magnets and adhesive backing along with a rubber texture above the lighting.

To be fair, there ARE reasons to go with our strips.

For one, they're actually designed to work with Corsair Link software which does depend on LED count.

Another, they use a specific connector so they can't be connected the wrong way.

Third, we use magnets and adhesive backing along with a rubber texture above the lighting.

Yes I suppose they are fair points. I don't own any Corsair LED Strips but I don't doubt that they are nicely done. Individually addressable LED Strips have a polarity as the Data coming from the CLCP / LED Hub or whatever HAS to enter the LED strip at the correct end. That is easy to mess up. If the Corsair strips have connectors that only work one way, that is a nice touch. Magnets are always a nice touch because adhesive and "peel and stick" tapes usually don't work very well - especially in a high ambient temp environment like inside a computer case.

If you go to Amazon or where ever and look at the generic ones, some are really nice, IP67 rated, etc. and some are soldered together end scrap junk. They are cheaper but riskier. My first generic strip failed as soon as I separated it into 2 sections, and did not like to be flexed at all. $20 down the drain. The 2nd one I tried worked great. YMMV!!

But back to ARock387's issue. Sounds like the LED strips work b/c he tested them when connected to a CLNP, and the CLCP LED ports both work b/c he tried his fan LED hub on both ports. Honestly, it sounds like a configuration problem in Link. I don't use Link so can't really help here. IIRC, you have to hit the + sign to tell link how many strips there are. Did you do that?

Maybe Corsair Dustin or someone more familiar with Link can help you out here. Good luck!!

Thanks for the responses everyone, And Corsair Dustin as well. I got it figured out. It was a silly mistake but oddly enough have me confused for a bit. I was using the wrong cord to connect it to the Commander Pro. I had the two wired cord from the tail end of the LED strips connected to the Pro when I should have used the other side of the strips with the three corded wire. Silly mistake really but was excited when all the stuff arrived and jumped right in.

Yep that would do it. The strips need +5vdc, data, and ground or no joy. That other cable is only 2 conductors IIRC. Those little connectors are not keyed in any way. Easy mistake to make and I bet you are not the first. Perhaps Dustin or another Corsair rep could get this back to tech support. Maybe help someone else avoid an unnecessary RMA which does noone any good. Enjoy your new bling!! :D:

Archived