Corsair Community

Mouse pads that nail perfect score in surface quality test?

Anisotonic

So, according to corsair's software, apparently my Steelpad SX is a 4 out of 5. I wasn't aware that a mouse pad could possibly better than a SX. Are there confirmed 5/5 pads for the m90 sensor out there? Just curious, as so far it seems I have a good match, I see a smothness improvement over the G9x.

You're right. Got to move the mouse quite fast to register a 5. Now I have a clear conscience :P

I'm jumping in on this thread but I don't own a Corsair mouse. What is this rating telling you? Even for any other brand, am I best off with one of the mousepads mentioned in this thread?

thanks

• Corsair Employee

I know a lot of people use mouse pads religiously and its critical in the event that you have a desktop surface that does not react well with a Laser mouse.

That is the soul purpose of that utility to test the surface you use the mouse on weather it is a desktop or Mouse Pad.

Other than this I don't know I would use it as a tool to judge what mouse pad to use. Or what one mouse pad would be worth compared to another.

I know a lot of people use mouse pads religiously and its critical in the event that you have a desktop surface that does not react well with a Laser mouse.

That is the soul purpose of that utility to test the surface you use the mouse on weather it is a desktop or Mouse Pad.

Other than this I don't know I would use it as a tool to judge what mouse pad to use. Or what one mouse pad would be worth compared to another.

I'm asking because I have a bleeped-out brand laser mouse that sometimes acts erratically on my desk surface, which is teak wood but pretty worn out by now.

for anyone curious, in my own surface testing I found the only surface that gave a reliable 5 rating from the corsair software was the glossy surface of a cardboard box that a video card came in. I would think glossy surfaces are not great for mousing - too much surface friction in my experience and opinion - but it may be what the laser sensor prefers most. The color of the glossy box i got this score from is a dark blue but different colors didn't seem to have a noticeable impact on the rating from what I've seen.

I prefer to make my own mouse pads (from plexiglass, I might use metals if i had access to the tools and materials for doing it) and I love the surface rating functionality in Corsair's software because of this :)

http://i.imgur.com/nrrB3.jpg - my new mousepad on the left there is black vinyl dye applied to plexiglass. The plexi was sanded with 200 and 400 grit and then i sanded the the dye after it dried with 400 grit as well. This is the best surface I've made so far using plexi - very very smooth surface but it's still got some texture - really nice matte surface basically. The one on the right in the pic is what regular spray paint on plexi looks like after 9 months of use - I didn't sand/prime the plexi before painting that one though which is why it ended up with the paint coming off the plexi. Both pads in the picture give me consistent 4 ratings from corsair's software.

• 2 years later...

Hope this helps. I have a Vengeance M65 mouse and I did notice the difference between moving the mouse fast versus slow. As we've read, to get a 5/5, it seems you need to move the mouse fast so I did a fast and slow movement test between 4 mousepads and here are the results:

SteelSeries 4HD - Fast: 5/5. Slow: 4/5.

Kingston HyperX Skyn (Control) - Fast: 5/5. Slow: 4/5.

SteelSeries QcK - Fast: 4/5. Slow: 3/5.

Anker Gaming Mouse Pad - Fast: 4/5. Slow 3/5.

The interesting thing with those 4 is that the two that scored high are both hard surface pads. The cloth ones scored the 4/5 and 3/5. As a note, all of these mousepads were purchased at about the same time, within 30 days so they're all fairly new.

The concern I have with using the hard surface is that the mouse feet might get worn out/scratched out quicker :( But... I do see slight accuracy differences when using the hard vs cloth surfaces on this mouse. Most may not, but since I've been FPS gaming since 1990, I do notice these things.

• Corsair Employee
Hope this helps. I have a Vengeance M65 mouse and I did notice the difference between moving the mouse fast versus slow. As we've read, to get a 5/5, it seems you need to move the mouse fast so I did a fast and slow movement test between 4 mousepads and here are the results:

SteelSeries 4HD - Fast: 5/5. Slow: 4/5.

Kingston HyperX Skyn (Control) - Fast: 5/5. Slow: 4/5.

SteelSeries QcK - Fast: 4/5. Slow: 3/5.

Anker Gaming Mouse Pad - Fast: 4/5. Slow 3/5.

The interesting thing with those 4 is that the two that scored high are both hard surface pads. The cloth ones scored the 4/5 and 3/5. As a note, all of these mousepads were purchased at about the same time, within 30 days so they're all fairly new.

The concern I have with using the hard surface is that the mouse feet might get worn out/scratched out quicker :( But... I do see slight accuracy differences when using the hard vs cloth surfaces on this mouse. Most may not, but since I've been FPS gaming since 1990, I do notice these things.

We do sell replacement feet for the mice if they get worn out.

Archived