Corsair Community

can't seem to find this product # for support. CMSO16gx3m2a1333c9

cjvs22

I had went to fry's (In December) wanting to upgrade my Alienware m15x with their suggestion they recommended corsair 16gb dd3 laptop memory. (cmso16gx3m2a1333c9). I realized that my laptop was getting intermittent blue screens, and started talking to dell support. For over 6 months they have not been able to fix my problem. So I finally decided to re set my laptop to it's original settings. I re installed windows 7 ,but for got to change the ram back. The issues continued until i realized to change the memory back to the original and noticed the problem went away.

when this happened I checked to see IF this memory I bought was defective or not compatible.

I was not able to find the product number in the Corsair website (cmso16gx3m2a1333c9) So did not have too much to go on.

the only thing they had that was 16gb for a laptop is for a mac notebook.

http://www.corsair.com/en/memory/laptop-memory-upgrades/corsair-mac-memory-16gb-dual-channel-ddr3-sodimm-memory-kit-cmsa16gx3m2a1333c9.html

So I called Fry's and they said that the product number is for a MAC.

My Question is

Is this laptop memory I have FOR a Mac?

IF not then how can I get proper support for this product? I went through the proper support channels and it does not have the product number on the list. So i chose something close to it and stated on the notes.

Is it possible to get a replacement from corsair for a similar memory that is 16gb for pc? ( I did not see any available for PC with the same specs)

I Tried talking to frys and they will not help remedy something that was clearly their fault in suggesting me to buy this product. When they knew it was for a PC laptop, and sold me a product for a MAC.

thank your for any information and suggestions you guys can give.

What did DELL support say about the modules? Did they say it was okay to use in that system?

And which part number is in question?

CMSO16gx3m2a1333c9 = PC laptop

The link you provided

CMSA16GX3M2A1333C9) = Mac Memory

Which one do you have CMSO or CMSA?

Also make sure you have the latest BIOS for your laptop. New BIOS's often add compatibility for new modules.

Is it possible to get a replacement from corsair for a similar memory that is 16gb for pc? ( I did not see any available for PC with the same specs)

That you would have to take up with fry's. I would keep after them until they do! Generally,If you send your sticks in for RMA they will get replaced with the same part number.

You can also test the memory by testing one stick at a time with memtest(link on the left) and let each stick run for about 3 passes or until you get an error.

CMSO is what I have, I am new to all of this, but when Dell was doing a system test they checked the memory and said they said everything passed. But I was still getting blue screens and to be honest I am only guessing by process of elimination that it is the memory. Only b/c when I finally switched back to the original sticks the problem stopped.

Dell helped me in updating the bios when originally trouble shooting, but since I re installed win 7, I believe I may have to do so again?

I'll def try the memory test hopefully pretty streight forward to do so.

thanks Peanutz94 i'll give it a try.

Sure thing!

Really the only difference between the PC and MAC memory is that thos emodules were specifically tested at Apple to be compatible with their systems. Those same modules may also work equally as well in a PC based machine.

MAC actually use the same hardware , or most of it as the PC does. It's the OS and the little Apple on the case is all that basically makes them different.

Let us know how you make out with memtest.

Cheers!

Archived