Corsair Community

Problems booting with 2 pairs of TWIN2X2048-6400

Boge

I have 4x1 gig chips of CM2X1024-6400 5-5-5-12 ram. I have a Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 rev 1.0 motherboard.

My system won't boot normally with all 4 gigs installed. I've tried changing the voltage up to +.4, it will boot to windows at that point, but will give me problems.

I bought the chips separately 2 gigs at a time. One set looks to be v5.1, and another is v 7.3. Not sure if that's a problem.

My computer runs perfectly with just 2 chips installed, even if one chip is 5.1 and one is 7.3.

What can I do to correct this problem?

• Corsair Employee
With 4 modules I would suggest setting the memory frequency at DDR667 and set the memory Voltage to 2.1 Volts (+.3 Volts with Gigabyte) and set the NB/MCH/SPP Voltage to +.05 Volts as well and test the system with http://www.memtest.org. In addition, with some MB's (Mostly ASUS) you have to disable legacy USB in the bios when running any memory test.

I switched to 667mhz (266x2.5), I also changed the MCH to +.1v, I only had the option for +.1, +.2, +.3v. I also didn't see anything for NB or SPP.

When I saved and exited with just 2 gigs in, my system beeped rapid beeps and then restarted, so I went to bios and changed the settings back.

What did I do wrong?

2x1 gig - CM2X1024-6400 5-5-5-12

800mhz XMS2-6400

1.90V ver 7.3

1556994 08180981

And

2x1 gig - CM2X1024-6400 5-5-5-12

800mhz XMS2-6400

XMS6405v5.1

670747 0646402-0

Again, I've mixed and matched 2x1 gigs in my system in various slots and it works fine as long as there aren't more than 2 chips.

The setting will be either NB or NB SPP or NB MCH on most MB's but I would try setting the MCH Voltage to +.3 Volts and set the memory Voltage to +.3 Volts.

This didn't work. My system won't boot. I don't even get a screen, but as soon as I take two of the chips out, it boots up just fine.

Okay, I'm at normal voltage settings with 4 chips at 667mhz. It appears to be working fine. I'll continue to see how it is over the next day or two.

Obviously this is hindering a bit of performance going from 800mhz to 667, so what's the best setup for me? 2 gigs at 800mhz, or 4 gigs at 667mhz? By the way, I'm running Windows XP pro sp3 so only 3.5 gigs is showing up.

It will depend on your usage. If you are multitasking, gaming, doing graphics work, etc you will benefit from the extra memory. As long as the memory speed is not holding back your CPU overclocking then you will not see much difference between 667 vs 800. But the additional 1.5gb or so will pay off.

It sounds like this is sort of a common problem with this motherboard. I've been reading that other people are having a similar issue. I guess this extra ram I bought will just have to rot.

• 7 months later...

Old thread which I'm bringing back up. I'm still having problems. I can't boot with more than 2 chips.

I have ran Memtest86 during the bootup and all chips show they are fine unless all 4 are in the slots (I didn't try 3 chips).

I tried pairing them 7.3s together, 5.1s together, even 7.3 and 5.1 together, and singles as well. No errors unless I put them together, all 4, then I showed 227 errors on test 8.

• Corsair Employee
Old thread which I'm bringing back up. I'm still having problems. I can't boot with more than 2 chips.

I have ran Memtest86 during the bootup and all chips show they are fine unless all 4 are in the slots (I didn't try 3 chips).

I tried pairing them 7.3s together, 5.1s together, even 7.3 and 5.1 together, and singles as well. No errors unless I put them together, all 4, then I showed 227 errors on test 8.

Have you tried raising the memory controller voltage? On a 965 chipset board, you will likely need 1.4v or more on the memory controller to get stable with 4 modules.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RAM GUY View Post

The setting will be either NB or NB SPP or NB MCH on most MB's but I would try setting the MCH Voltage to +.3 Volts and set the memory Voltage to +.3 Volts.

This didn't work. My system won't boot. I don't even get a screen, but as soon as I take two of the chips out, it boots up just fine.

Isn't this what you mean? I've tried it already.

Sometimes different versions will not play nice together and doubly so with some BIOS's that do not have a mature DRAM BIOS table. Have you the newest BIOS?

If so, I think you might have to accept that these two different versions are not playing nice on your board.

I just got a new motherboard thinking maybe there was a problem there, but first thing that happened, I had 2 chips installed in the dual channel slots said in the manual. The system wouldn't even allow me to go into the bios. It showed the motherboard screen, but wouldn't do anything from there.

I removed one chip and it's fine now. So I filled out an RMA form. Hopefully that will fix my problem. Thanks for the help.

• Corsair Employee
I am sorry but no we would normally only be able to replace them for the same part you send in, but once you have the RMA number you can call in and talk to our customer service and discuss the options if any on the return parts. 888-222-4346 Ext "3".

Archived