Corsair Community

H100i v2 and Asus Rob maximus x hero

Zora50

So I am trying to figure out how to best cool my cpu. My mobo had an AIO header, cpu_fan header and a cpu_fan optional header.

Would I get better performance if I plug in the pump to the all header and the 2 fans to each of the cpu fan header? I would still use the usb plug on and would set all the headers to 100% or 12V.

Any thoughts or concerns?

• Corsair Employee

Any of those fan headers will work for the pump, just make sure the fan header you plug the pump into is in full 12v in BIOS, so disable any PWM control or any temp control for that fan header.

But since the board has AIO header, by default, I'd use that over the 2 other headers. As for the fans, the H100i V2 has 2 fan ports attached to the pump, I'd use those for your fans so that you can control the fan's behavior using Corsair Link.

Any of those fan headers will work for the pump, just make sure the fan header you plug the pump into is in full 12v in BIOS, so disable any PWM control or any temp control for that fan header.

But since the board has AIO header, by default, I'd use that over the 2 other headers. As for the fans, the H100i V2 has 2 fan ports attached to the pump, I'd use those for your fans so that you can control the fan's behavior using Corsair Link.

Bios requires a fan to be plugged into the cpu_fan header which is why I thought maybe I should split the fans on the h100i?

Bios requires a fan to be plugged into the cpu_fan header which is why I thought maybe I should split the fans on the h100i?

Well, that can always be disabled. Personally, I had it on the CPU Fan header when I was using an H100i V2 on my Maximus IX (I have the same AIO header, too) so that I get the CPU fan warning if my pump happens to completely die. IF you do that, you just need to make sure that it's set to 100%. On the Asus boards, you can disable Q-FAN control for the header and that'll do the trick.

No performance difference for any of the above. The pump lead needs its 12v, one way or the other. No reason to waste the cooler's fan controller and headers, particularly since you need it there to run via coolant temperature. Fans on the board will likely mean CPU temp as the control variable and that will be a bumpy ride on the very dynamic 8700K.

It is board dependent, but your AIO or W_Pump headers can often be converted back into regular chassis fan headers. CPU fan is unique. It can only be CPU temp controlled and has other special properties, most of which are not helpful in this application. As mentioned, it will give you the warning when the pump doesn't start and that may save your bacon one day. OPT is even less useful, since it is a copycat of CPU Fan with no controls of its own. It is for dual fan control, radiator or air tower.

Archived