Corsair Community

32 bit OS and RAM Compatibility Problems

Levzi

ok ive been everywhere trying to get answers to my questions and nothing has helped, so im praying that this is the place :D

Im using Vista 32 bit Home Premium and I understand that a 32 bit OS wont recognise 4 gig of RAM. Apparantly its max is 4 gig but when you add my gig of Graphics Ram is 5. Therefore Vista would only use 3. (Hope ive understood the RAM issues right :S)

So my problems are

a) Should I get 3 gig of RAM (2x1024 DDR2 800Mhz and 2x512 DDR2 800Mhz) for dual channel use or ,

b) Get 4 gig of DDR2 800Mhz and just leave 1 idle

Either one im going to have compatibility problems as the mobo im using is the Striker Extreme. I currently have XMS2 DDR2 800Mhz in my machine (2 gig) and its working ok, but apparantly you cant use an additional 2 gig of the same, as its not compatible. (Its standard XMS2, not the SLI ready stuff with EPP) Therefore, what DDR2 is compatible (Ive used the config on the corsair site and im confused) Im not au fait with setting my own voltages n timings tbh, im a noob at that, so im hoping whatever I use the auto will pick it up.

So can anyone help me please, cos im on the verge of getting an Xbox lol :p

Only problem with that is, im at 100% RAM Usage with some applications. An additional gig would be a great help.

2gig is at 100%

3gig would solve it

4gig would be extreme performance.

COD2 and BF2142.

Both hit the 100% mark.

Ive decided that 64 bit is the way to go, but not now. Im going to get some

Corsair 4GB DDR2 XMS2 Dominator DHX PC2-6400C5 TwinX (2x2GB)

And let it use what it wants, and then when the time is right, ie when Vista 64 bit has better support, i'll go to that.

I think from what ive seen I shouldnt have any hassles running that RAM with a Striker Extreme.

• Corsair Employee
Both of those games do not offer 64 Bit support at this time, but later this summer they will. And that is normal when the game is running as it will reserve more memory for the game.

ok well the 4 gig of XMS2 is working fine. 2x2gig sticks in dual channel. Although its showing 2.5gig of RAM installed in vista 32 bit.

My only question now is, when I go to Vista 64 bit in the summer, can I add another 4 gig of the same XMS2 ?

Hopefully, the games/applications I use will be 64bit compatible by then.

Id sooner use 8 gig of RAM, but 4 would be ok :D

In all honesty, ive no idea what you just said there ! lol:sigh!:

When you add memory to an existing system, and especially a dual channel memory MOBO based system, you need to add memory that EXACTLY matches the memory you already have. If you mix different types, brands, speed, sizes, etc you have the potential for instability.

By this summer, it is possible that we may have a different revision of IC or PCB used in that memory due to supply changes or changes in revision by the IC maker.

So basically if I order another 4 gig of what I just ordered, it should be ok ?

And if I leave it too late, I might not be able to get the same stuff.

And is 8 gig really going to be overkill for a system built mainly for gaming ?

4 gig should last me a long time for gaming really yeah ?

With 4 gigs you should be good to go for a number of years gaming-wise. Unless game map sizes get radically larger in games, it's going to be tough to swamp 4 gigs. On a four slot motherboard capable of holding 8 gigs, you'd need to swap out the four 1gig modules for four 2gig modules. Hope this helps.

I think 8gb will be extreme overkill unless you have some incredible system demands such as multiple virtual machines, extreme CAD or 3D modeling, HUGE Photoshop images, etc.

And, if you do buy memory later to add to the system, there is a chance you may not be able to get the exact same modules.

Archived