Corsair Community

New 800d build - info needed

andyvee

Hi all , just got me an 800d / corsair 1000w psu & an H50 cooler and want to ask a couple of questions for a new machine i'm building .

I am looking at the gigabyte GA-X58A-UD7 motherboard , will there be any issue mounting this with its silent pipe module along with the H50 or could there be a clearance issue anywhere .

Apart from the H50 i was going to use the standard fans and just add 3 fans in the top on a controller but looking through the threads its hard to see what cfm would be needed per fan if i was too use all 3 ( machine will have 2 gtx280's from my old rig for now ) , also i see some people have added a second fan to both the h50 and to the lower inlet fan on the 800d , does it make much difference in a push/pull arrangement , if it helps the pc is mostly used for gaming so the gfx get warm and i only tend to mildly overclock my cpu's ( have'nt decided which i7 i will get yet ) .

Thanks for any advice :-)

Also forgot to add this to my last post , i am going to use the H50 and use the rubber vibration plate that came with the case as in the video but i also want to use the 120mm fan for the lower hdd bay so will need another rubber vibration plate will Corsair supply one or can i get them somewhere else ? .

• Corsair Employee

I would not know the dimensions of the silent pipe module you are referring to, but the H50 dimensions can be found in the FAQ.

The rubber vibration plates are not sold separately that I know of, but I would suggest that you contact our customer service at 888-222-4346 and dial "0", (510) 657-8747 or email rmaservice@corsairmemory.com to see if they are able to supply you with some.

Also, here is a link to some detailed push/pull performance results with the H50.

Hi there

There will not be any mounting issues with the Giga Ud5 got one fitted inside my 800D really nice board, the silent pipe module is slightly smaller than the top of the connections on the rear of the motherboard (where the usb connectors etc are).

If you were to add 2 120mm fans to the H50 all will fit ok in the 800D, there is plenty of space for the H50 if you either mount it on the rear of the case vertically or horizontally in the back rear position in the top of the case( pulling cool air in which I found is the best postion for my H50)

I have mounted 2 1200rpm Sythe Sflex's in the top of my case pulling air out as well.

I have 3 140mm Xigmateks mounted in the case, one at the back rear of the case, one at the very bottom in front of the psu & another in the dividing tray where the stock 140mm fan was fitted, it all runs cool & quiet.

I have kept the stock 1400mm hard drive bay cooling fan as it was when i got the case last September

My I7 920 is running at stock speeds & idles at around 30 degrees centrigrade & gets up to 45 degrees c under load.

Also in the 800D are 2 Ati 5870's in crossfire & my temps on the 2 cards at not an issue at all, playing World of Warcaft for around 3 hours the Ati's never go over 68 degrees c under load.

Really pleased with the 800D you may have to play around with your setup, it took me a while to get it right, hope this helps?

I will post up some more photos of my system asap as it has evolved again over the last couple of months.

One thing I would say is the UD7 just has a slightly different Northbridge cooler to the Ud5 but I cant imagine that both boards are not that different, look on Gigabytes website & download both pdf manuals to compare them both.

Cheers

Thanks for that post , its been very helpful . One thing , you say you have a fan at the front of the PSU at the bottom , is this the one by the lower HDD bays or somewhere else ? . Looking forwards to seeing the pictures :-) .

So i went for the Scythe 1600 Flexx's for top exhaust and will run them thru the Scythe server master controller , also got another 1600 to use as intake by the lower HDD fans .

I'm gonna mount the top fans with those silicon pins instead of screws to make it even quieter i hope but still trying to find 1 of them rubber pads that they supply with the 800d as i'll be using that 1 for the H50 but will need another for the lower HDD bay .

Not too impressed with Corsair CS at the moment as they only supply 1 of those but on their video's and info sheets they tell you to use these with the H50 and the lower HDD bay but only supply 1 with the 800d and none with the H50 and CS wont send me another 1 , bit tight when you consider this is a premium product and priced as such :evil: .

• 3 weeks later...

Just to ask , has anyone had a faulty mic jack on the front panel , mine constantly connects/disconnects , it seems to be the jack , no dry joints on the board or broken tracks but cant get one the same at any of the component places as the normal pcb mounted ones are 90 degress whereas this is 180 degrees .

Anyways , logged a ticket so will see if they can send me the jack or complete io panel .

Hello I am having the same issue I am using a supreme xfi sound card and when I have my headset plugged into the front panel jacks I am getting Low volume, and electrical noise though my headset. This is a huge problem I am part of a team for battlefield bad company and having to reach around this monster case to try and plug in my headset is not the easiest thing to do.. I sent a rma and have gotten a response but I am confused with the response. Tech support said that they will sending me a replacement part (unknown what part) and that the part is not readily available as of yet and that they are working on it as we speak. Has anyone got the same issue and or a replacement part for this problem yet?

Thats interesting to know , i noticed that when i plug in headphones into the front jack i can hear weird noises as well so guess we have the same thing going on and i am also in a clan so need that mic socket working .

It seems the same that happened to a friend who built into an Antec 1200 case , this was resolved by Antec who sent out new front io's with a more heavily shielded cable , lets hope Corsair step up to the plate and do the same .

Apart from that mine is nearly done , just waiting for new 140mm fans as the ones that ship with this push no air at all hardly , my gtx 280's are running approx 25 degrees C hotter than in my old case atm at idle :eek: so cant use this for gaming yet although h50 push pull ( in rear top pulling in ) is keeping the proc reasonabley cool , other 2 tops are exhausting

Yes having to reach around this monster and trying to find the mic/headphone jacks is going to throw my shoulder out lol. I scrapped all the fans that came with this case and am using a 140mm yate loon red led (high speed) for my intake (140cfm) and a cm r4 red led for my back exhaust my temps have improved alot my i7 860 is still about 30 at idle using hyper 212+ and ac5 paste. My gtx 260 is still about 50-60 (gpu fan set @ 55%) well gaming (BFBC2) I have 2 cm r4 red led fans on top of the case (towards rear) This is warmer than I would like but still with in gaming condition I am adding a alc cpu cooler this week and can't wait to see the difference

Here is the yate loons well worth the switch imo..

http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=36_316&products_id=27147

I am using my motherboards fan control right now (turbo setting) fans are running @ 1600rpms

I'm running a 930 on a gigabyte x58-ud7 , really nice board , well pleased with it , as for the case , it may go down as " get shot on Ebay " jobby if Corsair CS can't sort it , got corsair memory and psu and no problems but this case has been a PITA from day 1 .

Can you let me know what Corsair will or are sending you so i can ensure i get the same seeing as we both have similiar issues and also i guess yours will arrive before mine as i have only just logged the ticket so let me know if it fixes the problem .

Forgot to ask , those 140mm fans , your running them at 1600rpm ? , i was looking at the Xigamtek 140mm fan but they only push 63cfm but was looking at using them on the back and 2 on the bottom in push pull as it seems possible to mount one below the existing one and bolt through the mesh and still use the filter ( test mounted 1 of the originals ) , you think they should be man enough for inlet ? ( i already have Scythe 1200rpm's S-FLEXX's running as exhaust ) .

Yes np I will keep you posted on the rma. I thought of running a push pull on the bottom I have noticed I am losing rpm on the intake with the panel closed. If you are going to do a push pull use a stock fan for the very bottom ( at least get some use out of them lol) These yate loons are well worth it yes I am running it 1600rpms and they are still some what quiet and are throwing in the air quite nice and @ $10 there is nothing that beats them I would honestly say they are pushing the full 140 cfm they claim (rare I know lol)

You know the more I think about the heat issue the madder I get. I always had respect for corsair on there quailty but obviously this one is the one that got away so to speak. You can not tell me that corsair did not know there was air flow issues with this case yes I did my homework on this case and have lost my trust in alot of review sites based on there review of this case (obviously corsair was pulling some strings). How is it that my previous $100 scout case with no modding beats the hell out of this $300 dollar case with complete fan changes? I have spent a excess of $40 on fans trying to cool this case down to a point I can use it IMO corsair should at least cover some that cost. This case is one of the reasons I chose a different cpu cooling solution how can I trust corsair to cool my cpu properly after this expensive nightmare??

Update for you , i'm up and running on the 800d now , i have got the h50 at rear top as inlet with scythe sflexx 1200e's in push pull ( ~50cfm ) , 2 more of the same as exhaust in the other 2 top positions as exhaust , xigamtek 140mm (~64cfm ) at rear as inlet ( having as exhaust was worse ) , and 2 more xigamateks at bottom in push pull , stock fans at both of the hdd bay positions .

I7-930 at idle runs approx 28-33 , after 2 hours prime95 ( blend ) gets to approx 50 , board reports max ICH temp as 49 . Are these reasonable figures ? .

Graphics are better but not as good as my last case , top card idles at 58/9 , bottom card at 53 , top card will hit 66/8 after a few hours of BC2 , i might add one of those 3*5.25 bay inlet fans as from Scythe and others but trying to find a picture of one in this case to see how it looks as its pretty clean atm .

Overall i'm reasonable happy but if i knew before what i know now i would not have gone for this case ( but it does look pretty :D: ) .

Have you heard any more about your io panel , the last update from mine was that it was being transferred to the correct department a couple of days ago .

Those are some good temps you got going on.. To bad it took changing all the fans to get this.

I agree I would NOT buy this case again but it does look pretty and will probably not buy corsair again I know my cpu cooling is not a h50...

Well I have not heard any more about the IO issues and to be honest I am not surprised

P.s get a decmi magnetic dust filter for the intake trust me they are awsome

Yeah i have one of those filters on the rear and yes they do work great .

I think my RMA is at the same point as yours now as i have had another mail saying that one will be sent out when available , just does'nt say when that will be :sigh!: .

To top it off my hx1000 psu has a dodgy ATX connector so just waiting to find out if Corsair do advance RMA in the UK otherwise i'll be machineless for a few weeks :mad:

P.s get a decmi magnetic dust filter for the intake trust me they are awsome

Kounty, A google search on "decmi magnetic air filter" didn't turn up any products.:[pouts: Can you provide a vendor name or URL for this filter. Thanks.

Hello sorry for the slow reply. I received a email yesterday for corsair sating that the io was shipped out to me looking forward to having my front jacks back in use.

I got my filter from here they have pretty much every shape and size and they are awsome..

http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=36_463_500&zenid=efadd8208c602d6cbfdafe5c886fe3bd

Hope this helps you.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Kounty , did you get your new io , mine arrived today and all seems to work now , not yet tried the mic in TS but local tests seem ok so far ... getting to like the case now its all finished , gfx cards are running reasonable now and will add the coolit omni when it comes out which will hopefully run them a lot cooler .

Archived