Corsair Community

How to Connect H110i GTX

mattlach

Hey all, just got my H110i GTX.

I was reading the manual regarding how to connect the wiring, and was just hoping to clarify one thing before proceeding with my install.

The cooler has a 4 pin fan connector, which the manual instructs to plug into the CPU fan outlet.

It also has a SATA power connector which is not mentioned in the manual at all.

Does the 4 pin fan connector both power the fans AND the pump? If so, what is the SATA connector for? Is it only if you are not using a CPU fan header on the motherboard?

Also, how does the cooler interact with the PWM signal coming off the motherboard? Does it use it for the fans at all, or is it completely replaced by the Link logic? If the latter, how are the fans controlled if Link software is not running (like, for instance, when I am booted in Linux?)

I am currently debating whether to connect link at all, or if I am just going to rely on motherboard PWM to control the fans, because Linux is my primary OS. I only dual boot to Windows 8.1 occasionally for games.

Appreciate any thoughts.

The H110i GTX only has a single wire tach output and the SATA power header. The tach output wire will connect to the MB and keep you from getting the "CPU FAN FAIL" error that stops the machine from booting. it does not control the fans in any way. There is an onboard fan controller that will automatically control the fans even if no software is installed. There is no need to install LINK if you will be running primarily in Linux.

The H110i GTX only has a single wire tach output and the SATA power header. The tach output wire will connect to the MB and keep you from getting the "CPU FAN FAIL" error that stops the machine from booting. it does not control the fans in any way. There is an onboard fan controller that will automatically control the fans even if no software is installed. There is no need to install LINK if you will be running primarily in Linux.

Ah, Thanks Makes sense.

I'm a little unhappy with the stock fan profile in the unit. it's louder than it needs to be for temps at idle, but I can't run the Link software in linux...

I might just get a 4 pin fan splitter and run both fans off the motherboard instead.

I'm a little unhappy with the stock fan profile in the unit. it's louder than it needs to be for temps at idle, but I can't run the Link software in linux...

Actually, I take this back. After firing up the link software in windows for the first time, the RPM's changed, and it is MUCH quieter at idle.

I also think it remembers the fan profile setting (quiet/balanced/performance/default/fixed %) even when the link software is not running, so I can set it, and then boot up in Linux just fine.

What I have been told it DOESN'T remember are custom fan profiles. This is too bad, but not a huge issue.

Now what I would like to do is set it up to control fan speed based on CPU temperature diodes, rather than the coolant temp. The closer to the source the better IMHO.

Huh, I thought I read in a different thread about the differences between the H110i GT and H110i GTX that the GTX did away with the SATA connector, and was powered completely through the cable connecting to the motherboard. Could've sworn that's what Dustin said in one of his posts. And the install instructions on the Corsair webpage for the H110i GTX make no mention of a SATA connector. I wonder what's up.

I can confirm that the 110I GTX does in fact use the sata power cable to power the unit and fans. It comes with the adapter cable to plug your radiator fans into, that will terminate to a single 4 pin that plugs into the mother board in CPU_FAN for RPM readings as the plug only has 2 of the 4 wire bays filled.

I can confirm that the 110I GTX does in fact use the sata power cable to power the unit and fans. It comes with the adapter cable to plug your radiator fans into, that will terminate to a single 4 pin that plugs into the mother board in CPU_FAN for RPM readings as the plug only has 2 of the 4 wire bays filled.

A 4-pin with two of the wires filled? Doesn't it only need one wire for the RPM readings? Isn't the layout of a 4-pin connector: 2 pins for power, 1 for RPM and 1 for PWM? What's the second wire used for?

In the online manual, there is no comment on a sata cable (in contrast to the GT model), so I guess the unit gets all the power for the pump and fans via the pwm fan connection on the mainboard?

The printed manual is the same. No mention of the SATA cable at all.

In reality - however - there is a SATA cable, and a separate 4 pin motherboad connector that only passes fan RPM signals to the motherboard, and doesn't power anything, or read the PWM signal from the motherboard.

It looks like someone at Corsair goofed in creating the manual/documentation.

I got my h110i GTX now.

The h110i GTX have a single wire Cable, that is connected to any 3-pin or 4-pin connector on the motherboard. This connector only provides pump RPM information to the motherboard. All Power is supplied by the SATA connector.

The reason of this is either the larger fans requiring more Power to these, or its the pump that is more powerful.

So the 4 pin connector is in fact not PWM-capable and can be plugged into a 3-pin connector on the motherboard?

Yes, you might want to plug it in the CPU fan connector though.

From what I understand, the only reason this connector exists at all is to provide RPM information to the motherboard, so the BIOS doesn't panic, like some do, and aut shut down, or something like that because it thinks your CPU fan is dead.

• 4 months later...

Hi,

Currently i have a new build started recently with also a H110i GTX. As instructed the 1-pin cable connector is connected to the CPU_FAN Header on my MB. (Asus Z170 Sabertooth), and the FAN's go to the FAN Connectors coming out of the unit itself.

Since the CPU_FAN connection is only a RPM measurement for the board, and in this way you cannot regulate the fan's. This board is also equipped with a PUMP_Header, but regarding the manuals only for specific sets, which one is not clear.

My questions :

Can i also connect the connector to the PUMP_Header on the board? I'm not sure because a board is normally not booting without CPU_FAN Connected

Can i also connect both FAN's to available PWM connectors on the board to regulate them?

Or leave it as it is default?

Thanks in advance

Eric

So I got a H110i GTX AIO cooler and I would like to change the fans on it. With that in mind, I have two questions:

1. Does the H110i GTX support 3 pin fans?

2. If I connect the fans directly to the MB and control them that way (I assume I can do that), what would be the default pump speed set at on the H110i GTX? Do I need to install LINK to configure the pump speed?

1. Support, as in to also control the fan speeds, No.

http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?t=141470

2. It depends what mode the pump is set on.

If i recall correctly, there are two modes, Quiet and Performance. I don't have the specific RPM numbers for the pump though.

Yes, you will need to install Corsair LINK as well as connect the cooler to the PC via a USB cable to change pump modes.

So the 4 pin connector is in fact not PWM-capable and can be plugged into a 3-pin connector on the motherboard?

I also have this unit installed and actually, it's a 3-pin connector with only 1 wire in it, that should definitely be plugged into a cpu-fan header on the motherboard for the reason already mentioned.

Archived