Corsair Community

If I have Corsair SP120 High Performance RGB, do I need the commander mini?

2BOnest

Hi everyone,

I just signed up to ask a simple question but confusing in my mind:

I need 4 fans to be installed on my 480mm radiator and I wanted to use the 3 pack + led controller of the SP120 RGB HP Edition + another single fan.

I also want to check, monitor and adjust the fan curve if I want to.

So I was wondering in order to do that if I need the Commander Mini or the controller for the leds is enough.

Those fans are voltage controlled fans and you should ideally use PWM fans such as http://www.corsair.com/en/hd120-rgb-led-high-performance-120mm-pwm-fan-three-pack-with-controller with a CL Mini. In general PWM fans are better than voltage fans.

The fan RGB LEDs can't be controlled by the CL Mini which is stupid and I am at a loss as to why Corsair did not implemt this. AFAIK they are 5 volt rather than 12 volt RGB LEDs which is why this is not possible.

Ok thanks, one last question: using the HD120 should I then connect on the CL?

It's been 6 years since my last build and I've never used a fan controller so:

I connect the fans to the led controller and then how do I connect the the fans to the CL?

I don't want to bother you too much so if you have a guide or a video that I can follow is enough :)

Yes, connect the HD120 fans to the CL Mini and the HD120 LEDs to the LED controller.

I suspect once you get the items it will all be rather obvious.

It would be easier to help you if you added your PC specs to your profile and fully specified what the cooling system is.

Archived