Corsair Community

New HX1050 emitting terrifying sounds

Prothean

Hello people of Corsair, today I come to you in dire need of your help. My new HX1050 is has been making some truly terrifying noises whenever I play games or sometimes when I watch bluray movies and skip around, which leads me to suspect there may be connection with my GPU.

I first came across this problem when I played Borderlands 2, the first game I installed on this new rig, there was this clicking/rattling noise constantly coming from the PSU. I don't know what this is but I have some clues which may help you figure this out. Strangely enough, this noise stops:

-during the intro cutscene (pre-rendered I believe)

-during loading screens

-the instant I Alt+F4 out of the game

I tried a few other things to make it stop but minimizing it does not work and the clicking will be present at times even when the GPU would not have to work very hard at all, for instance, when you boot into the game and you see all the logos eg Gearbox software, Nvidia etc - its on even then! Unless the GPU is working behind the scenes I'm not sure why it would be on then.

Second game I installed was Crysis Warhead, and instead of a rattling noise its a much more alarming WHINING noise! This is again present from the logos at game start and naturally I got the hell out of the game when I heard that noise so I'm not sure about loading screens etc.

I did, however, go back in fleetingly to record the noises for you to give you a clearer description. The first recording is at where I'm sitting and the second is roughly 20cm from the case (lid on) to provide a clearer sound. You can download the two files here:

20cm from PC.WMA (934.94 KB) http://Removed

From Seat.WMA (1.49 MB) http://Removed Per forum Rules please dont post links to spam or third party utilities

I should also note that I am running a Hybrid GPU setup with a 7970 GPU and a 8800GT for Physx computing, not sure if this should have any impact. This setup requires me to have both Nvidia and ATI drivers installed.

I am also convinced it's not the CPU because I went ahead and overclocked it to 4.6ghz, stress tested it in Prime95 for 20 minutes and no funny noises from the HX1050.

I also went ahead and uploaded a few pictures of my setup for you guys, nothing is falling into the grill of the HX1050 or obstructing the fan, it is something from within methinks.

attachment.php?attachmentid=11655&stc=1&d=1352909629

attachment.php?attachmentid=11656&stc=1&d=1352909637

Anyhow, please help, I'm afraid to do anything on my computer and I'd really rather not RMA because I would be without a PC for goodness knows how long! Been waiting a whole month to put this bad boy together and that would totally suck if I had to wait some more.

I've read through the stick here: http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=85166

I've tried forcing vsync, disabling Intel speedstep, Power saving mode, C1E, C3, C6 and Package C state support but to no avail. I am open to any suggestions and I hope you will work with me to get this sorted so I can finally enjoy my brand new PC : D Many thanks!

Kind regards,

Ray.

EDIT: Should also mention that sometimes the clicking sound (similar to the borderlands 2) also comes on during web browsing when I scroll up and down quickly, presumably the GPU kicks in to handle it thus causing the noise?

HX1050.jpg.a7a576466a11de8f5567c5dcafca62c3.jpg

HX10501.jpg.a64723622c80ff9c7c7c2fa7baf2bbb7.jpg

I cant seem to access the videos, because of the file hosting site your using. Could you use something else plz and provide direct links to them.?

At any rate what you describe sounds alot like normal coil whine which is not uncommon, but shouldn't be so loud that it overpowers every other component in your system.

The clicking sounds like the fan controller switching on and off.

Basically noise is subjective and differs from person to person. If it's to loud for you and you are really worried about it, i would have it replaced.

If you are still within your resellers time frame for returns i would start there. If they can not or will not help you use the link on the left to request an RMA.

• Corsair Employee

The links to the Videos were removed the site was suspicious and was blocked

I would suggest youtube for the Videos.

Can you play the game that you say caused the clicking and watch the Fan in the PSU and see if the clicking is or seems to be related to the Fan?

@ramguy, I have no idea how to upload youtube vids, is there a "trusted" file hosting service you guys would prefer? The file is only 1 mb or so.

And sure, I'll have another look at the fan when it starts to make the noise, due to my setup I can't really get all that clear a look inside but I will try my best.

@peanutz94, how would one provide direct links to the files? If someone could point me in the right direction I would be more than happy to do so. Yea I've read up about coil whine, I've never had it before so I cant be sure but this is 2 very specific types of noises clicking and whining which does not sound like the coil whine videos you see on youtube. The 2nd noise from playing crysis may be but not the clicking. And it is REALLY loud, I can hear it over everything else and sometimes even over my headphones, hopefully I can get those links up for you so you can have a listen : )

Thanks, guys!

@ramguy, I have no idea how to upload youtube vids, is there a "trusted" file hosting service you guys would prefer? The file is only 1 mb or so.

Go to youtubes main website and click upload. Then you browse the file just like you would for any file hosting site. That would be a direct link because it would play as soon as you clicked on the link for the video. No downloading involved

I've never seen this on a PSU before. But I have seen this in GPU with stupid high fps in cut scenes. Well not necessarily what your getting as I can't see your video, but crazy capacitor squeel on the GPU. Especially on non reference xfx cards that use cheap caps. Could happen to PSU as well I guess.

@HOODedAssault: indeed! This did occur to me but the sound is definitely coming from the PSU, I will have a third party listen to this again but I'm not exactly deaf so 90% sure its from the PSU.

Please do bear with me I'm uploading the video now : )

Sorry about the delay, here you go! And I tried to get a look inside the grill as well so you can see the fan, doesn't look like anything is going on to be honest.

http://youtu.be/9u_n3_g-KOQ Here we go : ) or is it this link? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9u_n3_g-KOQ&feature=youtu.be

The second whining sound will come later, i reformatted my PC last night to test...same thing. Appreciate your help, everyone!

NOTE: The noise only stops because I quit game at that precise moment! Sorry I forgot to mention!

Much better links! Thank you!. That is not normal and Im not exactly sure where that sound is coming from.But it is 100% the PSU.To me, it almost sounds as if something is hitting the fan, but then quits. It sure is a head scratcher , never heard one sound like that before.

If you are still within your resellers return time frame i would start there. If you cant exchange it or they are unwilling to help, use the link on the left to request an RMA. and post the case number here.

But it is 100% the PSU.To me, it almost sounds as if something is hitting the fan, but then quits. It sure is a head scratcher , never heard one sound like that before.

I must be extremely lucky!!! : D lol, thank you peanutz! Appreciate your help! ALSO, forgot to mention, it stopped in the video because I got my sister to quit the game at that very instant!

If you are still within your resellers return time frame i would start there. If you cant exchange it or they are unwilling to help, use the link on the left to request an RMA. and post the case number here.

I actually purchased this in advance when it was on sale at PCCG on the 5th of October, I only recently finished exams and installed it to find it has this particular issue. It's not the 17th of November so I don't imagine they'll take it back, I will call them tomorrow just to be sure.

Yes please do and post the case number I would like to test that PSU in our lab.

Yes, I am happy to do this, however, do you have any recommendations for me as the product guru? I would really like to get this sorted out and as I mentioned before RMA will leave me without a computer which is disastrous to me holiday plans.

Thank you everyone! :D:

• Corsair Employee
I would suggest you request the RMA and once you have the RMA conformation you can contact our customer service and request an advanced RMA so you have no down time. But post the case number as I would like to test this unit in our LAB.

• 3 weeks later...
Thanks, RAMGUY, so where do I find this case number for you and how do I go about initiating this special RMA process? I've never had to RMA a product before so I'm a little uncertain and would appreciate a bit of a hand here :D: Many thanks, guys.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived