Corsair Community

VS1GB333 and eMachines D4362 / FIC VL33

Toby

Hi,

I just installed 2 VS1GB333 DIMMs into my mom's eMachines D4362, which uses a FIC VL33 motherboard (also known as a P4M-865G MAX II). Unfortunately it seems the computer only recognizes each DIMM as having 256 MB, instead of 1 GB.

Any ideas here or am I SOL? Unfortunately I don't think I can return the memory to the place of purchase since my dad bought the memory a while ago now, but waited for me to be home so I could install it. It's long past the return period.

I did look up your system on our memory configurator and it is not listed how do you know it will support 1.0 Gig modules.

Based on the M/B specs:

Memory 4 DIMM slot / DDR 400/333/266 SDRAM support / Non ECC support / Dual Channel Support / Max. Cap. Is 1 GB for each channel / 4GB total / PC 2100 / 2700 / 3200 DDR support

Do they have a bios update available. Also, do your modules have ICs (chips) on both sides or the module or only on 1 side? And, is the original memory still in the system with the new stuff?

The latest version listed on an unofficial site I found was 415, the version on the M/B is 416, so it seems to be up to date.

The VS1GB333 DIMMs have ICs on both sides.

The original memory (2 x 256, single sided) was factory installed in slots 1 and 3. I removed that and installed the VS1GB333 sticks in slots 1 and 3. The computer only saw 512MB. :[pouts: I tried in slots 2 and 4 with the same results. Then I tried only one stick in slot 1 and it only saw 256. So now I've installed all 4 (the original 2 x 256 and the 2 x VS1GB333) to have 1GB of memory available since that's still better than just 512...

• 1 month later...

Well I'm finally back at my parent's again. I tried clearing the BIOS (both with a soft reset in the BIOS menu, and by clearing it with the jumper) but it still doesn't see more than 256MB per DIMM, even if I only have a single VS1GB333 installed.

Any other ideas?

Well I'm finally back at my parent's again. I tried clearing the BIOS (both with a soft reset in the BIOS menu, and by clearing it with the jumper) but it still doesn't see more than 256MB per DIMM, even if I only have a single VS1GB333 installed.

Any other ideas?

Unfortunately it sounds as if you have memory that is not compatible with your MOBO. My guess is that the memory is made with ICs much newer than the MOBO+chipset and the chipset cannot fully address the higher density ICs.

Archived