Corsair Community

Unlock XMP Profile

soopytwist

I'm an overclocking virgin, I have absolutely no idea what I should, shouldn't overclock and what settings those should be.

I bought Corsair Vengeance 16Gb (CMZ16GX3M4A1600C9B). I was told though they're 1600Mhz you don't get that with an X79 motherboard. Uh? So apparently I have to turn on XMP profile. How do I do this, where do I do it and is it simple?

My specs:

Intel Core i7 3970X Extreme 3.5Ghz

Asus P9X79 Deluxe

EVGA GeForce GTX 690

Corsair H100i Watercooler

1200W Cooler Master Gold Pro PSU

Samsung 256Gb SSD

Western Digital Black 1Tb HDD

Seagate Baracuda 500Gb HDD

Corsair 600T Chasis

Hello Soopytwist, When you reboot press the del key which will take you in to the bios then look for the shortcut to the advanced mode. click on AI tweaker scroll to AI overclock tuner choose XMP. Scroll down to turbo ratio and set to by all cores can adj. in os. Press F10 and click save it will reboot. When you are up and running open up AI Suite II in there you can up your turbo ratio. This is one method a safe one.

Hello Soopytwist, When you reboot press the del key which will take you in to the bios then look for the shortcut to the advanced mode. click on AI tweaker scroll to AI overclock tuner choose XMP. Scroll down to turbo ratio and set to by all cores can adj. in os. Press F10 and click save it will reboot. When you are up and running open up AI Suite II in there you can up your turbo ratio. This is one method a safe one.

Repro, this is partially correct

Soopy, Pg3-8 in your owners manual shows how to do it. All you have to do is change the AIoverclock tuner from manual to xmp. save and exit. Thats it. there is no need to adjust turbo ratio uless you plan on overclocking the CPU but is NOT needed to use XMP.

Hello Peanutz94, You are right that's all Soopytwist needs to enable XMP with the procedure I suggested it is an easy way to throttle up/down depending on one's usage. Since he mentioned he was new to overclocking I thought I would let him know a easy and quick way, as he becomes more familiar he can choose from the 100's of ways to achieve his goal. And as you said one should read the manual first. Have a good day.

No worries repro, like you said since the OP is new to overclocking I just figured it would be best to start out simple and not complicate things with out adding settings that are not needed or may complicate the issue.

However another good source is google. There are plenty of overclocking guides specific to both CPU nd MB that nay be of some help if they are interested in overclocking.

I see, thanks for that guys. I've enabled XMP profile, though I doubt I'll notice a difference.

I was thinking of overclocking my Intel Core i7 3970X from 3.5Ghz to 4Ghz (keep it small and simple). I have issues with the H100i watercooler at the moment though so I think I'll knock that on the head for now. Thanks for the tips.

• Corsair Employee
Nope, it's just nice to throttle it up when using large programs - games, simulators etc. To get smooth game play one needs to overclock to get realistic motion.

An overclock isn't necessary unless there is a bottleneck when you're using said application. Otherwise you just get more heat and possible instability.

• 5 weeks later...

My system has remained stable with the XMP profile turned on - can't say I've noticed much of a difference to be honest.

Anyway a friend of mine has an almost exact same system as as me - except he bought the low profile dual Vengeance (CML16GX3M2A1600C10). Turning on the XMP profile was fine until he installed an EVGA GTX 690 and now he gets BIOS messages that an overclock failed and fails to boot. I too have a GTX 690 and my RAM is the quad channel vengeance with the large blue heatsinks and I don't have this error.

Everything is fine when he disables XMP and like me is using whatever default settings are in the BIOS whether XMP is on or off.

Archived