Corsair Community

Corsair AX1200 Shut Down Issues

goathunter

Hey All, its been a while since I've been on this, but I have an issue that started yesterday. I was overclocking my system to get 4.2ghz on a core i7 920 (been running at 4.1ghz sinc 2009 primed and intel burn stable) was trying to PIMP it, and while running intel burn, the computer shut off, no BSOD, no nothing, just shut off and restarted, I logged back into windows and double clicked IE, then boom, restart again, no BSOD, just shuts down like there was a black out or something, computer restarted again, logged into windows, I launched Prime 95 and right when I hit the "start" button in Prime, computer restarted again, I had no power outages since my other computer was still on and my light was on. I changed out the power strip and same thing. I did not adjust voltages, I left them as is but jumped the BLK from 195 to 199

System specs:

EVGA x58 SLI LE

EVGA GTX 480's SLI

Intel Core I7 920

Cosair 3x2 Dominator 1600mhz 8-8-8-24 1.66 volts

Corsair AX 1200 Gold

Samsung 830 SSD

WD Black 1TB

Dual LG DVD Burners

Swiftech GT-Z cpu block

Swiftech 220 Radiator with Int Pump (MCP350)

Corsair Mouse and Keybard

Have been running this set up sice 2009, pick up the AX 1200 in 2010/11 when my HX1000 died on me (RMA when perfect, using as back up)

you guys have any clues as to what is going on? I put everything back to stock settings last night, ran XMP on the Ram and primed 95 all night, no restarts, but when I put it back to my OCed settings that's been running since 2009 I get the shut downs! Any help would be greatly appreciated. Tonight im going to plug in my HX1000 and see if it is the PS, i'll let you guys know what happens. But if you guys have any input or if any one else experienced this, I would greatly appreciate it! Thanks!

GIL

you guys have any clues as to what is going on? I put everything back to stock settings last night, ran XMP on the Ram and primed 95 all night, no restarts, but when I put it back to my OCed settings that's been running since 2009 I get the shut downs!

If you have been running a high overclock for that many years it's possible the CPU has been damaged and wont run overclocked anymore. But usually they just die completely. But there are exceptions to everything. It could also be a board issue.

To me it sounds like you munched the CPU.

The only way to tell for sure is to try with another PSU and that should give you an answer.

was trying to PIMP it

I have to ask what that stands for...Prime,IBT,Memtest and one other?

I'm no sure if its the CPU though since I was able to Prime last night for a few hours at stock speed, only when I go to over clock the thing is when I get the reboots. I put the OC to the settings that I had before, still no go (reboot)

PIMP (Prime 95, Intel burn, MemTest, Passmark) LOL!! it was a term that me and my friend use when stress testing the computer!,

But yah! thanks for the info bro! Im gonna try tonight and swap the AX1200 with my HX1000, if it does the same thing, its going to be for sure the Mobo or CPU, Thanks for the input Peanutz! I'll keep you guys updated once I get the other PS hooked up

update.... so I just got home and out or curiosity, I took out my ram, reseated it and overclocked to 4.0 (191 x 20)cpu v core 1.375 volts -1.35 cpu vtt and ram at 1.66, as im typing this i'm about 10 minutes into prime 95 blend, so far so good, no hard reboots yet. This is tripping me out, last night right when I click start on prime 95 it would hard reboot when it was OCed, stock was fine, right now I oced and its running prime95 as if nothing happened last night, i'm freaking stumped now! Does the Ax1200 have some kind of fail safe or something? you think the PS got too hot last night from all day / night stress testing? let me know what you guys think... i'm gonna let this thing prime for a while, time is about 5:45 PM PST, i'll update you guys in a couple hours!

so I swapped and ran prime 95 with the hx1000, no reboots running prime 95..... im gonna have to break out my old trustee multimeter and check the ax1200 PS's and Mo-Board.... oh god...let you guys know what I find out.... btw, my computer is all over the floor!! just took that mofo apart and rebuild it, reseated the cpu, ram, water block, vid cards, etc.... we'll see what happens in a bit!

so time is about 8:30pm PST, got done volt testing the mobo and ax1200, everything seems to be fine with the exception of the 5.5v running as low as 4.6 volts... is this normal? but anyways, started priming about 7:45 PM at 4.1ghz, 195 blk 1.425 volts... and its still going... so far so good....

Thanks for the input Peanutz, I'm probably gonna RMA it tomorrow, cuz it was fluctuating between 4.6 and 4.8, even at idle its at 4.7 volts...im going to submit an RMA today, it ran all night though priming no reboots... this thing is a trip

So I guess the +5v is dying. Computer was running for a while and now the computer restarts constantly. I took readings again and +5v is dropping down to 4.3-4.5 which is causing my system to shut down. I submitted an RMA, hopefully everything goes well!

Took more readings from the psu 12v is reading 11.55v - 11.95....man I hope this rma is approved...

Thats still within spec for the 12v. But if you can't be without a PSu i would suggest calling the CS line and that way you could set up an advanced replacement.

Update.... I shipped out the AX1200 on Friday, UPS says delivered today, RMA has not updated, i'll give it another day... whatevs! but here my situation now, I ordered the AX1200 sleeving kit the other week, they came in today and I totally forgot that I ordered it. LOL? but anyways...for some strange reason, I have a feeling that they are going to send me an AX1200i for the replacement rma.... I don't see the AX1200 (non "I") on corsair's website anymore..am I S#!T out of luck and stuck with these cables? and BTW im not paying 20 bucks to ship em back LOL + the 15% restocking fee...

Honestly though I hope they just replace it with the same one (AX1200 non I) cuz to be honest it was a pretty damn good PSU, its lasted bout 3 years before this stuff started happening

Update... got my new RMAed AX1200 yesterday, installed it with the sleeving kit I bought at stock settings, +5v rail reading 4.9-4.98, when I rebooted and overclocked to 4.0 my +5v rail is sitting between 4.71 - 4.89, Is this normal? or do I need to RMA it again?

• Corsair Employee

Update... got my new RMAed AX1200 yesterday, installed it with the sleeving kit I bought at stock settings, +5v rail reading 4.9-4.98, when I rebooted and overclocked to 4.0 my +5v rail is sitting between 4.71 - 4.89, Is this normal? or do I need to RMA it again?

That is within spec, there is no need to RMA the unit again.

Thanks Ramguy! RMA is working great. Got my computer back up to my original oced settings. Computer is running perfect. Just one more question, since I got my new RMA, does that mean the 7 year warranty starts all over again? LOL... nah really though... I wanna know! Thanks!

Archived