Corsair Community

Who manufactures the Corsair CS 450 M PSU?

MSwhip

• Corsair Employee
Thank you for that Legit reviews has a very positive one. Wished Jonny Guru corroborated it with his own opinion

:D: I won't, but Jeremy will:

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=366

Corsair CS 450 M (semi-modular) 80+ Gold Certified

Part Number is: CP-9020075-NA

Is it a "made by Seasonic" unit? Or is it of a cheap chinese manufacture?

Does anyone know for sure?

Sorry... this made my chuckle. Like Seasonic isn't Chinese? Like Seasonic makes the best PSUs? I think not. ;):

Jonny glad I made you chuckle

From Wikipedia now:

(on Sea Sonic)

1984 Headquarters relocates to Shih-Lin, Taipei, Taiwan.

1986 The factory phases in Automated Test Equipment in production methodology, this is the first in switching power supply manufacturing in Taiwan.

1990 Second factory in Tao-Yuan, Taiwan begins operation.

1993 European office opens in The Netherlands.

1994 Dong Guan China I factory begins full operation.

1995 Sea Sonic develops an ATX power supply for the Pentium market.

1997 Dong Guan factory receives ISO9002 certification.

1998 The Dong Guan II factory begins full operation.Taiwan headquarters and Tao-Yuan factory receive ISO9001 certification.

1999 Headquarters relocates to present address at Neihu, Taipei.

- Lian Li Industrial Co., Ltd. is a Taiwanese computer case and accessories manufacturer. (excellent quality if I may add<< that is my quote)

- Asus is a Taiwanese multinational computer hardware and electronics company headquartered in Beitou District, Taipei, Taiwan.

UNQUOTE

Taipei and Taiwan in general is a little different than Continental China, especially in quality controls I prefer them over all the tea in China. I will concede that there is always a personal preference component in every election.

And by the way, in your opinion, who makes the best PSU in the 400 to 760 Watt range?

Thank you Jonny

• Corsair Employee

Taiwan and China are certainly different. I've been to both places numerous times. I would CHOOSE to go back to Taiwan. China, on the other hand....

Seasonic's home office is based in Taiwan, but, as your quote from Wikipedia points out, their PSUs are made in China. The Dongguan factory that opened in 1994 is now the only factory they use. The factory in Taoyuan closed down a decade ago.

CWT, Super Flower, Chicony, HEC, Andyson, FSP, Enhance, etc.... they're ALL *based* out of Taiwan, but they're all made in China. There are no PSUs manufactured in Taiwan anymore except maybe Win-Tact and Zippy.

Asus makes most of their stuff in China. Not Taiwan.

Lian Li is the exception. They're made in Taiwan... but they have almost ZERO manpower. I've been to their factory. All of their chassis are made on CNC machines. Only a handful of people work there and they're there to design the cases and program the CNC machines.

• Corsair Employee
Thank you for your versed and informative reply.

And the best PSU in the 400 to 760 W range is...?

Anyone who answers that with a definitive answer is either a fan boy or a shill.

Here's why...

400 to 760 is a huge wattage range. 400 for someone using integrated graphics on up to 760 for SLI and all wattages in between for single card users.

Some are fully modular, some aren't modular and some are semi-modular. I prefer fully modular, but I'm always surprised of the people that don't like modularity. Some people like flat cables, other people like sleeved. Some people want the most efficient PSU while others feel you'll never see the ROI. Some people want a really quiet PSU, while others don't care because their GPUs are way louder. And speaking of noise, some people know that an oversized PSU with a fanless mode is quieter while some guys get a 450W PSU when their load is going to be 400W maximum, get the 450W and then complain that the fan is too loud when they're gaming. Some people think multiple +12V rail is necessary, some people think that a single +12V rail is far easier to work with. Some people have had good experience with service, while others haven't. Some companies have support in a particular country while others have support in the next country over so shipping costs for RMAs are more..... yadda yadda yadda....

After reading all your truisms in this thread, I have decided to change my conceptual approach to technology (not only about computers but definitely) around computers

The capitalistic world has made another turn towards the worst. The big concept now is "planned obsolescence". And the Chinese seem to have become experts and leaders in producing massive products designed with that concept in mind. The lower the quality today the guaranteed volume of sales of the future. It used to be a short sighted approach for business to live by so dangerously. But it seems that it is the norm these days.

I learned quite a bit with this discussion. And I ended up buying the semi-modular Corsair CS-450 M. I am replacing a Liteon Model PS-6351-2 350Watt original in my Dell Studio 540 (non slim) Desktop PC.

Thank you kindly.

Note:

Can anyone offer some tips how to smartly replace the old PSU with all unsleeved cabling with the new semi modular sleeved cables.

I want to make sure I will not have to end up having to go pay $50 to have it connected in a computer store. Is it easier to connect the modules before or after the PSU has been seated in the case? Any other tip from your own experiences?

• Corsair Employee

With what you said... I will say that the CS450M is an excellent choice. Great Wall has a great record. They've made award winning PSUs for OCZ and Sparkle... never mind being fairly successful in China with their own brand.

Like I said... personally I like fully modular, but semi-modular is good for most. Lack of fanless mode may upset some silent freaks, but if you realize your GPU or CPU cooling will be louder, you won't notice. And the price for Gold ROI is better than Platinum.

See... there's a power supply for everyone and no one person can say what one PSU is best for anyone. ;)

Is it easier to connect the modules before or after the PSU has been seated in the case? Any other tip from your own experiences?

You can do it whichever way you want. It depends how much elements of your case and your other components obstruct you from connecting them after fitting the PSU. From a quick Google of your PC/case it looks as though you'd be better to attach them prior, but only attach the cables that you need.

You don't have any nice holes behind the motherboard tray to keep the cables hidden, so have a rough plan of how your cables are going to be routed before you start connecting them to your components, maybe even grab a couple of cable ties to hook the cable(s) onto something to keep it tidy.

It shouldn't be too challenging. It's almost impossible to connect things incorrectly, since all the connectors are of different shapes and sizes.

• 4 months later...

Archived