Corsair Community

High Pitched noise on new build

Stryker412

I think I've narrowed it down to my PSU but want to make sure. The sound appears almost always when Firefox is open. I've tried launching a game from Steam and it goes away. When not in Windows, I don't hear it.

I turned off Intel Speed Step but that had no effect. Anything else I can try before I RMA it?

Ok, so I ordered a new Corsair CMPSU-650HX to see if it was my original power supply since I'm impatient to wait for an RMA. Unfortunately this PSU has the noise as well BUT it's definitely coming FROM the PSU. I don't think I have the luck to get two PSs with the same issue.

So what could be causing both power supplies to do this? Could it be some sort of electrical noise from my motherboard?

Edit: I was able to capture a sound recording of it.

http://cid-c408d06cee2f382b.office.live.com/self.aspx/Public/noise.rar

I called Corsair Tech support and the guy I spoke to seemed to think it was my UPS that my PC is connected to. I removed the UPS and hooked the PC to a normal surge protector but nothing changed, still getting the noise.

I'm going to try and buy an HX850w to see if perhaps it's just the PS being overworked or something.

I doubt it. My last PC also had an HX620 and never made this noise. Also the noise is not constant.

It does it when:

-Firefox is open

-transferring files to my NAS

-Tweetdeck is open

Does not do it when:

- In the BIOS

- Idle at the desktop

- Playing Bad Company 2

Here is a video I found of someone who had a similar issue.

Reading the comments, some say it's the PS and others say it's the motherboard. Which is it?

After looking up a little more info I found a suggestion that has helped but not fixed my issue.

Someone suggested switching from high performance to balanced in the power options. Once I did that the sound stopped but has not gone entirely away. It has helped with the constant whine I was getting when Firefox was open.

@Stryker412

Hi Mate....

Same Prblms here , Anyway im using Corsair CX400W one tat has same Coil Whine, After Booting entering to desktop can be heard Constantly, and then it stops Yeah when Playing Videos Mostly GPU accelerated and opening Firefox while Scrolling Page like that, But it's Not Faulty i think My friend has the same model i Have , He have the same prblms with a different mobo ....

If u want Try RMA .... Don't knw why these happens on Branded ones, Someone told that High End PSU's are More Sensitive , MAy be that, My CHeap PSU Old one doesn't have these issues... But Not Stable....

Corsair is 100% stable.........Love The Brand and Product....

I would think it was the PSU if it only happened to one of them but it's happened on two different models bought months apart form different stores. I'm going to try a higher wattage one to see if that helps. If not, I'm completely at a loss.

So after installing the new 850w PS, the sound is still there yet it is MUCH less noticeable. I really had to strain to hear it this time.

So ultimately, I've had enough fiddling with this. I'm guessing it's some sort of capacitor/coil whine on the motherboard. Is it just an annoyance or will this cause actual damage? If it's just an annoyance, I think it's soft enough now that when I put the side panel back on I probably won't even hear it.

Archived