Corsair Community

Obsidian 250D Cooling

dtr19

Hello All

My new build will involve a H100i and the 250D. At first glance there is no obvious optimal air flow configuration, so hopefully you can help me out.

Now if i use the H100i in an intake configuration the airflow will be heavily positive. Where as if I use it in an exhaust configuration I feel it would effect the cooling performance of the radiator.

This may be incredibly stupid of me but what is the reason (if any) against having one of the 120mm fans on the 240mm radiator as an exhaust and the other as an intake? This might be hard to picture so Ive included a crude illustration.

http://s21.postimg.org/y3henniif/250d.png

If it is rediculous the my other question would would you guys do in this case regards cooling configuration.

hello Ive looked over your pic and see no reason has to why that wouldnt work how ever depending on your graphics card heat sink design you might be better off using both cpu fans has a exhaust. The rear 80mm fan holes will act like a passive radiator of sorts either exhausting air if the air is being stacked or providing more intake air for your 100i. If your graphics card has a cooler similar to lets say a asus gtx 780 more hot air will be dumped into the case. bot i have ran a similar configuration and had no issue at all with the 100i running both fans has exhaust the cpu was even overclocked @4.6ghz.

and to add to that i see no reason in occupying the two rear 80mm fans at max speed most of them only put out no more then 30 cfm which is not going to make a huge difference in anything they are better left open. And just an FYI im a HVAC/R tech and do load balancing on ventilation systems on a daily basis.

I tend to agree with SinSoft76. While it would look cool with 2x80mm fans there it might not help to cool as much as the big side exhaust fan drawing air through the rear vents and across the motherboard, etc. Might be good to add a magnetic dust filter there if it acts as a secondary intake? Also, what do you think if the Noctua NH-U9B SE2 tower CPU cooler was turned 90 degrees clockwise? - from how it is oriented as seen in this photo from the Corsair Obsidian 250D Club forum thread. One advantage would be the cooler not blocking the inner RAM slot. Would it cool the CPU better blowing towards the side exhaust fan or better blowing towards the rear 80mm vents? I'm worried if it would draw heat from the graphics card one way or not allow the rear vents to act as an extra intake the other way.

http://cdn.overclock.net/3/37/900x900px-LL-37c4669f_IMG_0217.jpeg

I tend to agree with SinSoft76. While it would look cool with 2x80mm fans there it might not help to cool as much as the big side exhaust fan drawing air through the rear vents and across the motherboard, etc. Might be good to add a magnetic dust filter there if it acts as a secondary intake? Also, what do you think if the Noctua NH-U9B SE2 tower CPU cooler was turned 90 degrees clockwise? - from how it is oriented as seen in this photo from the Corsair Obsidian 250D Club forum thread. One advantage would be the cooler not blocking the inner RAM slot. Would it cool the CPU better blowing towards the side exhaust fan or better blowing towards the rear 80mm vents? I'm worried if it would draw heat from the graphics card one way or not allow the rear vents to act as an extra intake the other way.

http://cdn.overclock.net/3/37/900x900px-LL-37c4669f_IMG_0217.jpeg

Having a look at that photo it should be fine their is hardly any static pressure of any kind with case fans in general so air flow/turblance is really non existent. So has far that goes the 80 mm fans in the rear of that case arnt really doing anything actually I would imagine with a cfm meter on the outside in the rear it will probably read like 5 to 10 cfm max if any because the two 120mm fans on the side are pulling more cfm and also probably all the air from the cooler is still going out the side fans. So them putting the 80 mm fans in that setup is nothing more then a waste of money and possibly less cooling/ cfm/air volume

I just find it amusing how people think they need to fill every fan hole in their cases. Sometimes depending on the case layout it makes sense and sometimes it has a complete adverse effect. Reading fan cfm/rpm needs to be taken in consideration when purchasing new fans for a case has well has fan location and type of cooler on the video card. Most of the time proper ventilation can be achieved with minimal fans and won't make your case sound like a hoover lol

• 4 weeks later...

I am using same setup. (250D and H100i).

Using the H100i as intake instead, as there are dust filter on the right panel.

The front fan is as default intake.

The GPU will also has its own cold air intake from the left panel with dust filter.

The PSU will has its own intake from bottom with with filter.

This somehow created positive pressure and no 80mm exhaust fan is used.

On idle: 34-39 degree Celsius

On load: 65-70 degree Celsius

Note:

I live in Singapore (warm) and this is in (non air-conditioned) room temp.

I changed the stock to SP120 Quiet edition as the stock was quite noisy... :)

Just mine two cents...

• 5 weeks later...

I'd make the 120's and 140 intakes and the 80's exhausts.

I just find it amusing how people think they need to fill every fan hole in their cases. Sometimes depending on the case layout it makes sense and sometimes it has a complete adverse effect. Reading fan cfm/rpm needs to be taken in consideration when purchasing new fans for a case has well has fan location and type of cooler on the video card. Most of the time proper ventilation can be achieved with minimal fans and won't make your case sound like a hoover lol

I have my headset on with either Slipknot or explosions coming out of it at all times. My PC sounds like a jet engine and I never hear it anyway. For my new 250D I'm ordering a bunch of BGears B-Blasters, which are pretty much the loudest and most powerful fans I could find, and I don't plan to hear those either. Computers are a pretty personal thing. I think your fans suck because you don't have to chip ice off the front panel to clean your dust filter. You think my fans suck because my neighbors 3 apartments over can hear them. It's subjective.

Pictured: not enough cooling.

http://technabob.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2007/11/fan_casemod.jpg

Archived