Corsair Community

CMX4GX3M2A1600C9 on P7P55D PRO won't run at rated speed

Exostenza

I got the CMX4GX3M2A1600C9 and it is rated for 1600mhz at 1.65v and I cannot get it to run over 1384mhz.

I was wondering what is the highest voltage I can give it that won't kill it over time? I have been reading that a lot of people are using 1.8v and 1.9v without worries. I just want to make sure I am warrantied and am not going to kill my RAM.

Also will raising my IMC voltages help?

Yes. I am over clocking, although even at stock when I put on the XMP on the RAM was highly unstable and cause BSOD and crashing.

Stable 3.8ghz with RAM at 9-9-9-24 / 1384mhz / 1.65vdimm / stock IMC voltage

• Corsair Employee
Max Voltage for the Core I5 and Core I7 would be 1.65 Volts for memory and what happens if you just load setup defaults then enable XMP and set the memory Voltage to 1.65 Volts and set the CPU/QPI VTT Voltage to 1.45 Volts will it pass http://www.memtest.org? And have you tested the modules one at a time to be sure one is not failing?

I don't seem to have any settings for this "CPU/QPI VTT"

I assume you don't mean the voltage for the core as I am not going over my 1.32v on that I know I am solid as a rock.

I have QPI frequency. I was also told the IMC voltages have something to do with the RAM.

Well I was the one that told him and it seems that his problem is solved, but you guys here stil l have not helped me! I Have an Asus P7p55D Pro board and I have no options that even come close to "VTT (or QPI/DRAM)", so I have no clue what setting to up. I have IMC and PCH and QPI Frequency (this one is in mhz) and it is all so different from all the other motherboard manufacturers setting. Please I want to run this RAM at its rated speeds and as of yet I cannot!

QPI/VTT on the new Asus boards must be the IMC Voltage. When leaving my BIOS settings at Auto and mem is detected by SPD, IMC voltage defaults to 1.10V with 1333-9-9-9-24 timings for the memory. When on XMP profile, the IMC sets to 1.15V and 1600-8-8-8-24 (I have the CMX4GX3M2A1600C8 myself). These settings are consistent with the default QPI values I have heard about so far. Therefore QPI = IMC (sorta). To be as compatible with other posts as possible, from hereon I'll still be using QPI though, keeping in mind that for us Asus P55 people we have to look at IMC.

However, for me, setting XMP produces very random freezes anytime from within 5 minutes after booting to several hours afterwards. When running MemTest for hours on end, no problems with either XMP (1600) and auto (1333) are observed. But after starting Windows, freezing occurs with the ram on XMP. I contacted TSX guys at Corsair and they immediately advised me to set QPI to 1.45V if it's not there. This seems strange to me because if 1.45V is the way to go, then why wouldn't it be in the XMP profile instead of the 1.15V? Furthermore, I have read reports that CPU temp is increasing too much when using a high QPI voltage and Intel themselves state 1.35V to be the max safe voltage for QPI. And here I am reading RamGuy advising the o/p the same thing immediately after problems arise with his DIMMs.

Why would Corsair support advise us on such a high voltage? After asking them for an explanation, TSX just came back with "request an RMA"...

Now that's not at all what I expected. I'm not even in the US so RMA'ing the DIMMS to Corsair directly would not be the preferred route (I've got warranty with my resaler right?) but I would want some answers first on where this 1.45V comes from.. I am not ready to subject my CPU to a potential "dangerously" high QPI voltage so that it might end up fried or something....

Perhaps setting the DIMMs to use the XMP profile and then manually increasing the QPI voltage to, say 1.25V would have to improve stability dramatically on itself? Then I would try that before putting it to 1.45 all of a sudden..

Please advise us on what to do, with a little bit more of an explanation perhaps??

FYI, Corsair has an RMA depot in your country (NL).

Ok, thanx... I would still try it through the reseller first I think.. But then I'd have to know that something is really wrong, not just take the DIMMs out, return them to the store, wait for new ones only to find out they manifest the same problem over again.. What good'd that do me?

I am hoping to find out if there a definite solution for the DIMMs I now have.. As they work PERFECTLY at 1333-9-9-9-24... I just don't want to have paid extra for a feature (XMP) I can't make use of... As I'm sure everyone will understand...

:sigh!:

Freeze occurred after running Prime for hours on end, when I finally thought I had a stable system... :[pouts:

So I'm going to try at 1.40 in a while, can't really have my system dying on me right now so I'm running 1333MHz for the time being...

@RamGuy: do you suggest me bugging Asus about this? You know they don't respond well to Ram-related questions "Is it on the Vendor list? No? Then don't bother us..."

Hello everyone :)

i have almost the same problem

Asus P7P55D Pro with Corsair CMD4GX3M2A1600C8

My pc is stable at 1333MHz but if I put on the XMP 1600MHz i can't play any games because of blue screens freezes etc .I ran memtest with XMP Enabled and so far no errors

I tested it with one module at a time with XMP Enabled and again blue screens freezes ..

Is my ram not working properly ?

apology for my bad English :)

I am having the exact same problem. CMX4GX3M2A1600C runs stable at 1333 with P7P55D Pro, but as soon as I enable the XMP, it can't even load the Windows. Sometimes it can't even get into the bios.

Any suggestions what to try? Thanks.

Archived