Corsair Community

RM850 Suspecting inconsistent +12v voltages

Ex Nihilo

Hi. I just built myself a computer 2 months ago, including an RM850 PSU and I'm suspecting the rm850 having insconsistent +12v voltages.

After setting up the computer, I've decided on running some games and stress tests. The +12v voltage on AIDA64 showed values between 12.030 and 11.730(especially when the graphics card was under load). I know that the softwares report wrongly calibrated results etc. but here's the problem:

After 2 months, I've decided on running the tests and games again and saw that the +12v never shows over 11.952 and sometimes dips into 11.448 . I haven't changed or added any parts to my system.

What bugs me is that AIDA showing acceptable voltages before and now they're way below acceptable margins. Is it something I should be worried of?

I apologize beforehand if I missed any details and happily provide more info if needed. I wish you all a great day.

• Corsair Employee

As you said, software readings are unreliable.

Are you experiencing problems indicative of poor power?

If you do suspect lowering voltages, double check all of your connections. Specifically the 24-pin. A look connection can cause resistance that will show a voltage drop.

As you said, software readings are unreliable.

Are you experiencing problems indicative of poor power?

If you do suspect lowering voltages, double check all of your connections. Specifically the 24-pin. A look connection can cause resistance that will show a voltage drop.

just opened the case and pushed the 24pin connector a bit more on both sides (mobo & psu), the idle voltage shows 12.024 again. Thanks!

btw is it considered normal to have voltage drops when load increases? i thought the voltage should be higher when it's under load but i also suppose that's what's being shown in efficiency graphshttp://images.anandtech.com/reviews/psu/2008/cooler-master-ucp-900w/eff-comparison.png..

I'm a bit illiterate when it comes to electricity in general..

I'd be glad if you could also enlighten me on this issue

• Corsair Employee

No. That's not what's being shown in that graph. Efficiency is the ratio between AC input and DC output.

Of course, software readings are tough to use. Since they're not taken at the PSU, they're going to be slightly lower than actual. And under load, it IS normal to see a drop in voltage. And that drop is going to appear even more extreme with 3rd party software because it's reading through many traces before it gets to the IC that does the actual reporting.

So ARE YOU experiencing problems or are you just being a little overly cautious?

No. That's not what's being shown in that graph. Efficiency is the ratio between AC input and DC output.

Of course, software readings are tough to use. Since they're not taken at the PSU, they're going to be slightly lower than actual. And under load, it IS normal to see a drop in voltage. And that drop is going to appear even more extreme with 3rd party software because it's reading through many traces before it gets to the IC that does the actual reporting.

So ARE YOU experiencing problems or are you just being a little overly cautious?

had 2 bsods while gaming on this fairly stable oc and now just giving it more time to see if it was because of that cable. Does it even matter why I seek the information - whether I'm being overly cautious or having problems? Also even if the software reports are inaccurate, being way off the range where it was before is "just" a bit more than being overly cautious.

• Corsair Employee
Does it even matter why I seek the information - whether I'm being overly cautious or having problems?

Yes. Because you can be on a wild goose chase due to known inaccurate readings.

BSODs can be anything from, yes.. power related, to bad RAM. I just hope your not focusing on the PSU just because of some inaccurate software readings.

Archived