Corsair Community

Revision number doesn't change

genegold

Have two Force Series 3 CSSD-F60GB3-BK. On a laptop (Win 7/64), the update ran successfully, and after closing and reopening the field updater the revision number showed as 1.3. But with my desktop (Win 7/32), the green checkmark is there, but the revision number stays as 1.2. Have tried three times. Not the biggest deal, but wonder what might be going on. Thanks,

Can't someone help me with this? It may be a bigger deal than I thought, because yesterday I was getting lots of problems coming out of sleep mode and had to run chkdsk from XP's drive. Found several errors, mainly indexes. Had corrupted some app's settings and had to reinstall it from scratch. Also turned off sleep mode and there've been no problems since. Since the firmware revision deals with sleep mode issues, how do I know if the update was actually successful? Corsair?

It's a single-user set up. Just to be certain I ran it again just now as admin and same deal, green checkmark appears as if successful but on reopening the tool 1.2 is still there.

I could pull the drive (ugh) and run it as an external drive from my laptop. Does it matter if the laptop has Win 7 64-bit, while the desktop version is 32 bit? Thanks,

I hooked up the drive as an external to the laptop. While the file manager saw it, Corsair's updater tool didn't; it only saw the installed one (1.3). Guess that means RMA? I take it there's no advance replacement, so what's the turnaround time been?

Cleaning the BIOS didn't work either.

What I need to know now is how likely a clean install of Win 7 would be to fix this. I can clone the drive, erase it and then reclone it back, if that solves it. But I've just spent five days and untold hours setting up Win 7 and various apps, and I'm not inclined to do it again when Corsair can update the firmware itself on RMA. I've got XP on another drive and could still boot Win 7 from the clone on a third while waiting for a replacement.

Btw, does the operating system have to be installed to update the firmware? Thanks,

Did you changing SATA controller drivers as suggested in the .PDF instructions?

What specific driver did you try?

You can update the drive as attached storage. It does not have to be updated while running as the OS drive.

Do you have a friend or a local shop that could assist you?

It's a single-user set up.
FYI running AS admin is different than logging in with an admin account. Screwed up, I know.

I take it there's no advance replacement
http://www.corsair.com/support/warranty/

End users may request advance replacement but must provide a valid credit card to secure the shipment

Btw, does the operating system have to be installed to update the firmware? Thanks,
If you're going to erase it, SECURE ERASE it. The firmware update tool can only be run from within Windows, but it doesn't have to be installed on the drive itself.

I'd suggest putting the SSD into the laptop as the primary and only drive and run the firmware update on it and confirm it's there. Then secure erase it and pop it back into the desktop.

Don't know what I was thinking. Saw "controller" and thought of changing SATA port. There is a Gigabyte ACHI driver (http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3038#dl) and I'm in the process of creating a bootable USB stick to install it later (for some reason my floppy drive isn't seeing anything right now).

Wired: I knew what was meant by running as Admin (right click, run as Admin). Thanks for the info and warranty. Since there was no phone number, just an online RMA request, I assumed no advance.

Will let you know what happens. Thanks.

Update problem solved. Posted on the TweakTowns Gigabyte thread, explaining the problem and asking about updating the ACHI driver, and someone asked which headers I was using. For the SSD, the wrong one. It needed to go to a GSATA2 header and, as I discovered, apparently not just any one. On GSATA_0, startup hung, but when I switched it to GSATA2_1, everything worked out just fine. Firmware updated quickly and on restarting the tool, there was 1.3. Now, I'll have to see about sleep mode.

Thanks for your help and patience.

Archived