The Corsair User Forums  

Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Product Discussion > Memory

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 59 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-10-2008, 05:05 PM
TotalAmnesia's PC Specs

POST ID # = 352797
TotalAmnesia Reputation: 10

Thanks RamGuy,

I know you are on the case and will try and find the correct RAM settings for this motherboard. I will see what I can do but my options are limited. The replacement motherboard is the exact same model but from a different supplier and should be the full version in a glossy Intel box rather than the bare bones package I went for before. My copy of Vista should not notice I have swapped the hardware so I won't have to re-install or re-activate over the phone, both of which are a bit of a pain.

You may be interested to know that the Intel tech doc for this motherboard contains a link to a list of memory certified for use on 'Intel Extreme Platforms' and Corsair are the only ones with 4GB modules. I am also very biassed in that I have always bought Corsair ram since they first made DDR.
http://www.intel.com/consumer/game/extreme-memory.htm

I can't get easily hold of another brand of X48 motherboard and from the other post on this thread it appears the ASUS and MSI motherboards are not guaranteed to work either. I've already instaled the chipset drivers so swapping brand would require a clean install of Vista. I did that last week and it's not much fun. I do however agree with your idea and will try it if this motherboard and the current ram both fail. Intel & Corsair hardware normally works first time like a mariage made in heaven. I've never had things fail like this before. Most perplexing.

Hopefully tomorrow I will be able to rebuild and start to identify if the problem follows the motherboard, the memory or the combination. If everything is golden then I will describe what works, of not I will RMA the RAM and try again. If that fails I will try another brand of memory and motherboard and if that fails I'm going to sit in the corner with a bottle of fiendishly strong alcoholic beverage, cradling my homeless CPU in my hand and cursing the day I ever heard of 'Intel Extreme Gaming' and gave in to the temptation

I presume the non-XMP versions of this ram, the vanilla TWIN3X/XMS3-1600C7DHX has the same RAM cells in it as the (IN) flavour and people can still get it to work with X48 motherboards. Do we know the 9 magic numbers for that?, should I try upping the RAM voltage to 2.0v or anything?

Thanks for your help so far, I will return with some results as soon as I have them. Anyone else trying the DX48BT2 and 4Gb 1600C7DHXIN combo, I would be gratefull for any clues. It's got to work for someone, it's been certified for heavens sake, that's got to imply at least some testing for mutual compatibility with the final end-user parts . This incompatability must just be bad luck or some BIOS setting.

Bye for now.

Last edited by TotalAmnesia; 06-10-2008 at 05:48 PM.

Old 06-10-2008, 05:59 PM
Corsair Employee

POST ID # = 352808
bachus_anonym Reputation: 10

Hi,

Try these settings, please:

Intel DX48BT2, BT1554P BIOS, QX9770, TWIN3X4096-1600C7DHXIN

BT1554P BIOS setup | Quad SuperPi 32M | Prime95 Blend

Good luck!

Old 06-10-2008, 06:44 PM
TotalAmnesia's PC Specs

POST ID # = 352817

Wow!, Nice!. I can see all the good stuff on the lower right frame. I Will try them out.

For anyone else reading this, these are some official RAM settings from XMP Profile1 for the same memory stick . See my hardware info for full spec.

Performance Memory Profiles Profile 1
Reference Frequency 400 Mhz
Memory Frequency 1600 Mhz

tCL 7
tRCD 7
tRP 7
tRAS 20

tRFC 88
tRRD 5
tWR 10
tWTR 6
tRTP 6

Memory 1.9v
Command Rate <Auto>

I have no idea why my motherboard can't see Profile 1 but I will deal with that tomorrow by swapping it for a replacement. These values aren't far off what I was guessing at, tRFC is a lot higher and I think the higher the value the more agressive the setting. Not sure though.

Jolly good show bachus_anonym!, can I confirm these memory sticks were the same model number as mine?. I am 99.99% sure your answer is Yes but I just want to be sure for the sake of any one else reading this. This is starting to look hopefull. Back soon with an update...

Last edited by TotalAmnesia; 06-15-2008 at 09:06 AM. Reason: Remembered to thank bachus_anonym

Old 06-10-2008, 07:09 PM
Corsair Product Guru

POST ID # = 352824
RAM GUY Reputation: 10

Thank you bachus_anonym, he has extensive experience with that MB so I asked him to post up his settings please let me know if you have any problems. bachus_anonym posted screen shots of the BIOS settings please set your exactly the same.

Old 06-10-2008, 07:12 PM
TotalAmnesia's PC Specs

POST ID # = 352827

Holy corporial excretion!, it boots first time into windows using 7-7-7-20 88-5-10-6-6. Now that is a very good omen.

Ram timings as detected by ZPU-Z are attached. It say it's running at 1T which is rather agressive. I guess that's what AUTO chose.

Under Vista64 SiSoft benchmarks this config at 8324Mb/s and detects it as 7-7-7-20 5-27-13-9 2T

I am about to run a few passes of Memtest86+ to see it it's solid. More info to follow.

EDIT:
Don't worry, I used the same timings as bachus_anonym, I was just observing that then Command rate is set to Auto like this, it appeas to be selecting 1T and not 2T according to CPU-Z. Also SiSoft's 4 extra timing parameters are cryptic and don't appear to relate to the 5 extra values in the Bios (so I am ignorring them).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CPU-Z Boot at 7-7-7-20.jpg (32.0 KB, 503 views)

Last edited by TotalAmnesia; 06-11-2008 at 08:41 AM.

Old 06-10-2008, 07:39 PM
Corsair Product Guru

POST ID # = 352833

Please go back and read what bachus_anonym set his BIOS to and set the timings the same.
I think you post the same time I posted.

Old 06-10-2008, 08:23 PM
TotalAmnesia's PC Specs

POST ID # = 352863

I'm back. I set my bios to the same settings as the screenshots. Also used the same settings but without the MCH and FSB voltage boost. In all cases there were some problems in Memtest86+.

First time I ran it I had an error in test 4 about 18% through the pass followed by screen corruption and a hang at 39%.

Re-booted and ran the rest again. This time Memtest86+ crashed after about 15% with some screen corruption and the message "Unexpected Interupt HalPing" (yes there was a spelling mistake).

On another run is found an error 23% in, at address 000B5A16880 in test 4, Good 3FE6EF07 Bad 3BE6EF07 Err Bits 04000000.
After which I pressed Escape as it was getting late.

I am currently in Windows writing this update and it is still running, though obviously there is somthing unhealthy going even if I can't see any immediate crashes.

The MCH/ICH was set to 1.45v, up from the original 1.25. The FSB was boosted to 1.3v, up from the original 1.25v

I think the RAM timings look very hopefull. It could well be I've got some dodgy hardware though. The new Motherboard goes in tomorrow, I will repeat all these tests and post the result. If you think the Memtest errors sound indicative of a hardware problem yu can point your finger at then I would be very interested as to your gut feeling.

I could also take the memory command rate from Auto to 2T but that would be a deviation from what the screenshots showed. Personanally I think 1T is a bit too fast but I was following the instructions.

Thanks for all this help. The machine is still not well but at least there is some progress.

UPDATE:
My replacement motherboard has arrived and it's a later revision than the previous, this one's an DX48BT2(B) so hopefully it has a better chance of being issue free. It's going in tonight, I wlll retest using the new BIOS settings found by Ram Guy & Co.

Last edited by TotalAmnesia; 06-11-2008 at 08:42 AM. Reason: Added update.

Old 06-11-2008, 12:57 PM
Corsair Product Guru

POST ID # = 352981

You will need to set the other Voltages as well or I am sure it will not be stable.

Old 06-11-2008, 01:18 PM
TotalAmnesia's PC Specs

POST ID # = 352988
Big Grin

Hi Ram Guy,

I believe I did use all the settings, all 4 screens worth, but I will double check most thoroughly after tonight's rebuild as I have to re-enter them any way. It was getting very late and I could have easily made a mistake after all.

Are you still happy with Command Rate set to Auto which appears to result in 1T ?

I can't thank you enough for findong out this rich selection of custom settings, they are exactly what I need and we know they work on this intel motherboard. I will post more results as soon as I have them...

Bye for now...

UPDATE:
The replacement DX48BT2 motherboard is definately a newer version. The assembly mumber on the label next to the PCI Express slot differs.

Old motherboard, ends with AA E26191-203, square capacitors next the CPU are black.
New motherboard, ends with AA E26191-204, square capacitors next the CPU are solid blue.

It would be interesting to know if bachus_anonym has the new AA ... 204 'blue capacitor' version.

I will begin the memory test tonight ( Thursday 12 June) and hopefully give you some results. Work in progress...

UPDATE2:
New Motherboard is in and working. The bios is now up to date. I will spend teh next few days testing it and come back with the results, I will be using EXACTLY the same settings as bachus_anonym suggested and see what happens...

Last edited by TotalAmnesia; 06-15-2008 at 05:28 PM. Reason: Added update

Old 06-11-2008, 02:22 PM
Corsair Product Guru

POST ID # = 352993

That should be set to 2t manually that is a bug in the BIOS most likely.

Old 06-12-2008, 09:14 PM
TotalAmnesia's PC Specs

POST ID # = 353211

Hi RamGuy,

I have just re-tested with the new motherboard using the BIOS settings bachus_anonym provided. Although the change of motherboard helped things a lot (it now boots easily when RAM is running at 1600) , I am still experiencing some errors in MemTest86+.

On the second pass I still get a failure at address 000B5A16880 (as described in a previous post). It's strange that this only happens in the second pass but it does happen consistantly if I re-boot and repeat the test.

There still do not appeat to be any XMP profiles detected. bachus_anonym was able to both see and then select profiles but I still don't get the option.

Would you say it's now time to change the RAM or is there something else you would like me to try?. I have contacted my supplier and he is happy to handle the RMA if you are of the opinion that the ram is acting strangely.

Is it usual to have any errors in Memtest86+ and is it unusual to not see XMP profiles?

Thanks RamGuy....

PS

I have updated my previous post to identify different versions of this motherboard. I think the 203 versions with the black capacitors do not get on at all well with this RAM (memtest fails on 1st pass and it has trouble booting) but 204 is a lot better.

Last edited by TotalAmnesia; 06-15-2008 at 05:27 PM. Reason: Clarifying.

Old 06-13-2008, 05:41 PM
Corsair Product Guru

POST ID # = 353317

Let's get them replaced, please use the On Line RMA Request Form and we will be happy to replace them.

Old 06-13-2008, 07:01 PM
TotalAmnesia's PC Specs

POST ID # = 353340

Thanks RamGuy. RMA in progress...

By the way, I really can't thank you enough for hunting down all these exotic RAM timings and BIOS voltage tweaks. Without them I would not have got this far and I bet scores of other folks with DX48BT2 motherboards are now able to correctly thanks to those screenshots.

I will keep you posted as to how things progress. Hopefully the end is now in sight.

Last edited by TotalAmnesia; 06-15-2008 at 09:19 AM. Reason: Moved question for bachus_anonym to another post.

Old 06-15-2008, 09:25 AM
TotalAmnesia's PC Specs

POST ID # = 353463

Dear bachus_anonym,

If you read this and have time, may I just ask about the MCH/ICH voltage tweak? is it that uncommon to override the default voltage on the memory controller to 1.45v like this?. I have never dared to over-volt before and was just curious. The bios warns you that increasing the voltages shortens the life of the chips but I guess in real life the motherboard becomes obsolete before then.

Also, I see from your screenshots that CPU-Z detects the XMP profiles. Very interesting. Mine doesn't so I guess the RAM is bad, perhaps the tiny ROM with the timings is mis-programmed. Hopefully the next set of sticks will work OK.

Do you have the 204 Version of the motherboard (the latest) with the blue voltage regulators next to the CPU?.

Old 06-16-2008, 05:49 AM
TotalAmnesia's PC Specs

POST ID # = 353530
Default Unexpected Interupt in Memtest86+

Hi Folks,

When my new RAM arrives I will need to retest it again. I am using Memtest86+ (latest version) and I have a question.

Is it normal after you boot into Memtest86+ for it to sometimes halt part way through a pass with the message "Unexpected Interupt - Halting" . Is this just the program tryign to say "Gosh your memory is bad. Giving up" ?

I read that this is sometimes caused by the motherboard issuing some lagacy USB interrupt, or not correctly telling the program which range of addresses to test. I only ask because I don't want to end the 2nd set of RAM back if it exhibits this same problem and it turns out to be some incompatability between Memtest86+ and the motherboard.

What do you think?