Corsair Community

Where is the program data really stored?

ZeroOne

I've tried uninstalling the software, but the previous manual fan values stay the same. How can you cleanly uninstall the software, and reinstall fresh? I'm worried that some setting (besides the manual fan value) is stuck in the system somewhere, surviving a reinstall, screwing up the fan speeds and control.

Swapped to new fans (all pwm) and still can't control speeds properly. They run at their max value of 1200 when setting a manual RPM of 500. If I change the manual RPM to 4,000, they finally go down to around 600. (They have a range of 500-1200, tested with another controller, and the fan manufacturer specs.) This doesn't make any sense, and I'd like to reinstall.

Does any data stay in the corsair link itself?? Can I flush that out?

ZeroOne,

You are experiencing what we all are seeing. The Link will only control Corasir fans as advertised. It has a real hard time with any other makers fans. Ramguy says they are working on it but we still wait for a fix. Read through the forums here and you might find a fix for your problem but most of us have not.

After 4 months and nothing addressed at all, I'd call it an elephant in the room vs. a bug. The reality is, zerone, the settings from your very first profile never really go away. Even on a clean re-install. So, since it saves current setting on a re-start but not on a re-boot after shutdown, one would think that the original profile is saved in the link itself, not to a file on your computer. In fact, I can delete all profiles, re-boot, and I get the original profile I saved when I first got the link and boy do I wish I would have known those first settings were as important as I now know they are. sucks to be me.

begin rant.

It's unfortunate because I bought a corsair case because when it came out I thought this is what I have been looking for, for years, and then bought the link expecting it to be really special despite it's ridiculous over pricing. I also own an H100 and should have realized the complete miss on not being aware of mounting issues on certain motherboards indicated a lack of detail in the product development and support. Well, I don't own any corsair memory, run any fans, power supplies, or use any of their SSD's. That won't change anytime, at all, ever. My next water loop will go back to the tedious self made, the next case will be from another manufacturer I'm not allowed to list here because Corsair doesn't want to embrace the benefits of letting it's customers build systems, and the next fan control will be something different.

end rant.

rem "SAD"

I'm having sort of the same problem. Sort of. I have four scythe pwm 120 fans that work absoulutely fine, profile works, stays in memory (firmware), power up PC no need to open link UI, fans are controller just fine. Except for the Corsair fan on my H80, only using one, don't need the second. All was fine until a couple of days ago. 1st problem, turn off PC (power still on a power supply) turn on and reboot, the H80 fan loses profile and resets to some rally obscure speeds and temps. 2nd problem, after delecting all profiles, reseting to "default" setting up profiles again for all fans, the H80 fan will not maintain speed set in profile.

No clue what happened.

The profiles are saved under "C:\Users\[username]\Documents\Corsair\CorsairLink", and each profile has its own .XML file. You can open up the file and see most of the profile info, however is seems that not all of the data is stored here (such as custom fan curves).

I don't know if profile is actually saved into the Link Commander Module, or if there is onboard memory in the Link Module. Mine also always starts-up with the same random setting that I didn't create. However, the data stored in the XML file is correct, so if I go to File->Profiles and select my profile, the correctly saved profile is loaded.

I think the intent of Corsair was to be able to flash the Corsair Link (so that it works outside of Windows), and that the Corsair Link program only needs to be opened when you want to monitor or make changes. Unfortunately it doesn't work this way, since the profile isn't getting saved to the Link Module.

This is interesting.... I've definitely uninstalled the software, deleted the contents of that folder, and gone to the extent of setting a specific fan value, and then searching the entire registry for that value after uninstall, to see if anything stayed behind, settings wise. Nothing. It really does seem like the settings are staying in the Link. Wish there was a way to reset this...

When you create a profile and save said profile it will write it to the Hardware. The only way to reset the profile that is saved is to create another one or update the firmware.

No way to "reinitialize to factory values?"

When you create a profile and save said profile it will write it to the Hardware. The only way to reset the profile that is saved is to create another one or update the firmware.

Can a user reflash the firmware with the existing revision to clear hardware or saved profiles?

• 4 weeks later...
Small update.... after not being able to control the fans properly for quite some time, I recently moved. The computer was off for a few days, in a box. When it was hooked back up, the fans *seem* to be working properly again. Looks like the lack of power clears everything out? The issue survived quite a few reboots, but this is the first time with no power at all for more than a minute. Haven't tested much yet other than controlling the speeds manually, but that did not work at all before and now it does. Just an FYI for anyone interested.

• 2 weeks later...
Small update.... after not being able to control the fans properly for quite some time, I recently moved. The computer was off for a few days, in a box. When it was hooked back up, the fans *seem* to be working properly again. Looks like the lack of power clears everything out? The issue survived quite a few reboots, but this is the first time with no power at all for more than a minute. Haven't tested much yet other than controlling the speeds manually, but that did not work at all before and now it does. Just an FYI for anyone interested.

Are your fans still working correctly ZeroOne? I get a similar issue, where I turn on the PC, and about 5 minutes in the fans race up to max RPM, even when I manually set to 600RPM. Selecting Max RPM then drops those fans down to 600RPM, which is right on the low speed for my fans. After that I have no control, but the fans might spin up again after a while.

However, and the point of all this, if I have this issue I set my fans to max rpm to make them slow down, then I put it back on Custom. I then shut my machine down and start it up straight away, and it seems to work from there. Considering everything, I am happy to do a quick reboot to get them working correctly, until they sort out the software issues

Archived