Corsair Community

Memtest 86+ errors with TWINX1024-3200XLPT

Diapolo

Today I installed TWINX1024-3200XLPT into my machine and ran Memtest 86+. I was surprised to see, that I got over 1000 errors and so I decided to higher the DIMM voltage to 2,7V. The next run with Memtest 86+ still showed circa 180 errors starting from test 5 on (I always chose "all tests"). The memory is brand new and it´s really a bit frustrating to see that behaviour. My system: AMD Athlon 64 3200+ (ClawHammer and C0 Stepping) ASUS K8V Deluxe (VIA K8T800 - Socket 754) with latest 1008 BIOS RAM timings are on Auto and are correctly detected as 2-2-2-5 (frequency is 400 MHz DDR) Are there some hints for me, what I could try or could the memory be defective? Please help! Edit: RAM Revision is 1.1. Edit 2: Tried RAM Slots 1 and 3 @ 2,7V, but still errors in Test #5 (before the modules were in Slot 1 and 2). I even tried the modules @2,8V but still some errors (not much, but too much) :(! Thanks, Diapolo

I tested the 2 modules seperately and onw shows Memtest 86+ errors, while the other does not. So it seems, that I have got a bad part here. I´ll try to contact my distributor for a solution. To bad ... the first time I have got a faulty Corsair part. Diapolo

• Corsair Employee
I doubt that you would be able to run 2 modules in this MB with tight timings! I would make sure they are in slots 1-3 and set the Dim Voltage to 2.8 Volts and set the timings as listed bellow and see if that does not solve the problem, but errors in test 5 would suggest the memory controller! [B]CAS Latency CL=2.0[/B] Row Cycle Time tRC [B]Bios Default[/B] Row Refresh Cyc Time tRFC [B]Bios Default[/B] [B]Ras# to CAS# delay tRCD 3 [/B] Row to Row delay [B]Bios Default[/B] [B]Min Ras# Active Time tRAS 6 [/B] [B]Row Precharge Time tRP 2[/B] Write Recovery Time [B]Bios Default[/B] Write to Read delay [B]Bios Default[/B] Read to Write Delay [B]Bios Default[/B] Refresh Period tREF [B]Bios Default[/B] Enable 2T Timing [B]Disabled[/B] Then test the system with [url]www.memtest.org[/url] and make sure it's stable! If you have problems, I would set Enable 2T Timings to AUTO and test it again!

But like I said, I tested [B]one module a time[/B] with Memtest 86+ 1.20 and one module shows errors, while the other one does not. So it seems pretty obvious to me, that one module is defective. Tell me, why should it be critical to have got 2-2-2-5 timings on the ASUS K8V, when the Corsair memory is specified for that timings? Before I had TWINX1024-3200LL which worked like a charm @ 2-3-2-6. I sold that memory and bought TWINX1024-3200XLPT to be able to use the 2-2-2-5 timings. Would be pretty bad if I won´t be able to use that :(. Diapolo

• Corsair Employee
Well that is not always the case, but I have no problem replacing your modules if you like! Please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it!

Thanks for your offer RAM GUY, but I have connections to COS Memory (Germany) and I sent them the modules back and will get a replacement soon. When the new modules are here, I will report if that fixed the errors. Do you think it could have something to do with the C0 Stepping of my A64? AMD optimized the memory controller with their CG Stepping of CPUs, so perhaps that could have caused the problem. By the way, where is the Datasheet for the TWINX1024-3200XLPT and which are the allowed voltages, so that the warranty will be valid? Diapolo

Also looking forward to your report because I have the same problem. The only thing that is different is that I get with both and with both in single installation errors running memtest+ (test 5). Prime95 also fails. I got an KV8-Pro from Abit and also the TWINX XL set. My cpu is an Newcastle 3200.

• Corsair Employee
You might try these settings with the modules in slots 1-3 or 2-3 and see if that helps! [B]CAS Latency CL=2.0[/B] Row Cycle Time tRC [B]Bios Default[/B] Row Refresh Cyc Time tRFC [B]Bios Default[/B] [B]Ras# to CAS# delay tRCD 3 [/B] Row to Row delay [B]Bios Default[/B] [B]Min Ras# Active Time tRAS 11 [/B] [B]Row Precharge Time tRP 2[/B] Write Recovery Time [B]Bios Default[/B] Write to Read delay [B]Bios Default[/B] Read to Write Delay [B]Bios Default[/B] Refresh Period tREF [B]Bios Default[/B] Enable 2T Timing [B]Disabled[/B] Then test the system with [url]www.memtest.org[/url] and make sure it's stable! If you have problems, I would set Enable 2T Timings to AUTO and test it again! However, if you are getting errors with both modules that might suggest some other issue, and I would test the modules in another system if possible!

Archived