Corsair Community

650TX getting very warm

noname069

Just put together a new system - i7 930 with stock cooler, 3 noctua case fans, asus board and 650tx psu. First noticed that my CPU temp is fairly high. Opened the case and right away felt the heat coming from the PSU. The fan was spinning, but since its very quiet its hard to judge the speed of it. The PSU itself was warm to the touch not just from the bottom facing the inside the case and CPU but also felt warm TRHOUGH the top of of the case - aka it warmed up the aluminum case. The rest of the case does not feel warm. There no heat emitting components next to the PSU except CPU which does not emit enough heat to warm up the PSU to that extend.

I requested an RMA last night but have not heard a response. I did so after reading several threads on this and other forums specifically regarding the 650 PSU's. I am suspecting that the sensor controlling the fan speed is not working properly hence the fan is not spinning up to the correct speed and PSU gets hot. I am somewhat puzzled that corsair did not add an option of manual or electronic fan control to this device.

• Corsair Employee

PSUs will not always run at the same temperatures from system to system, and some may run warmer than others. I would suspect that it is unlikely that a warm PSU could increase the temperature of the CPU, which feels warmer, the CPU heatsink or the PSU?

We can certainly try replacing the PSU for you, but there is no way we can guarantee that a replacement would resolve the problems.

Most definitely PSU is the hottest component in the case. I mean it radiates heat. I think the fan controller in it is not working properly and the fan is not spinning fast enough. Parts of the case that touch PSU are significantly warmer than the rest of the case.

Interestingly enough the CPU cooler is barely warm at all.

I got an RMA and sent a message regarding cross ship options but have not heard back yet. It would be somewhat of a hassle to be without that computer for a week plus that it takes to get the parts turned around.

• Corsair Employee
If you are worried about the fan speed, then lets go ahead and get the unit replaced. If the CPU heatsink is not very warm then its possible its not seated well on the CPU, you may want to try reseating it with a new layer of thermal material (wipe off the old stuff first) just to see if the CPU temps improve.

Replacement arrived. The new one is still very warm to the touch. I can see how this is less noticeable with new style cases where PSU is on the bottom with venting holes underneath which essentially masks the problem of slow fan by using additional means to cool the PSU. But in the "older" style cases (which are still widely sold) with psu sitting on top of the case right above the processor this is an issue. I saw that you mentioned to another poster that PSU is designed to cool itself, but I don't really see that happening. My guess the sensor detect the wattage being used and not the temperature of the device which imho is not good for the case related reason mentioned above.

Yes I can, and will take additional measures to cool my CPU but that does not make the PSU situation any better. Essentially now it became another component that I need to worry about cooling. This has never been the case before albeit I have not had to use anything above 350W.

Bottom line - I am disappointed. The least that Corsair could have done is allowed user control of the fan speed.

• Corsair Employee
I have not seen any issues caused by a PSU which was warm to the touch, or even hot to the touch. The PSU is designed to operate at its full wattage 24/7 at ambient case temperatures of up to 50C. While the PSU may appear to be warmer than your previous PSU, its unlikely that you would have any problems with it. The fan will turn on and spin up when the unit requires it.

That's good for the PSU but I cant say that I am thrilled about having an additional heat producing component in my PC. I now have to either add fans to the case or replace it. All because of one device that has a fan built in to it but not spinning fast enough for reasons of "saving energy". But if you think about it there is really no savings - I either dispose of my case and get new or add fans and use more power. :confused:

• Corsair Employee
With a PSU at the top of the case sitting right above the CPU there is a possibility that other heat from the system is contributing to the heat of the PSU. To test this I would remove the PSU from the case and see if it gets as hot running outside the case. You can also compare temperatures with it in and outside of the case and see if there is any significant increase in your case temps or CPU temp. I would suspect that any differences would be minor at best.

Archived