Corsair Community

I have the H100i, can i change the fans to rgb? And which fans are identicle?

Dyldonic

None of the RGB fans are identical to the stock H100i fans. The stock fans were designed to win a raw performance shootout, noise be damned. And that they do.

But the reality is that you get diminishing returns as fan speed (and noise) increase. Assuming that you have good case airflow, you may see an increase of 1 or 2C in coolant temperature (not CPU temperature; the fans don't cool the CPU, they cool the coolant) with the RGB fans ... maybe. Odds are you'll see less than that. The impact on CPU temperature is inconsequential. It will, however, be quieter and certainly look better.

No, the SP120-RGB are not a safe replacement, but only because they are 3 pin DC and you need 4 pin PWM motors if you want to power them from the H100i controller.

If you want RGB, the PWM models are ML120-RGB, HD120, and LL120. Take a look at the FAQ in Dev's signiture about RGB connectivity. You need an extra device for LED power section and an additional one if you want software control. It is manageable, but more than a simple swap out.

If you wanted one specific color (Red, white, or blue), there are ML120 LED fans (not RGB) that are a direct swap with the SP120L you have now, except they look better, perform better, and are quieter than what you have now.

No, the SP120-RGB are not a safe replacement, but only because they are 3 pin DC and you need 4 pin PWM motors if you want to power them from the H100i controller.

Very true! Thanks for that c-attack ... I keep forgetting about the SP-RGB fans.

Archived