Corsair Community

HG10 N980 & N970 Thread - Post Issues Here

TheDudeLasse

Hold on, you have the EVGA 980 Ti SC+ right? So the blower fan just attaches to the heatspreader/mid-plate? (I think that's what you're referring to when you say front plate anyway).

I should correct myself. I have 4995s, ACX SC+, the fans for them are on the heat sink. That's not usable.

For the Hybrid kit, they have given a floating shroud. As per the instructions, if you use a stock card, the blower should be already on the card. I guess it should be on the front plate, I do not know for sure. Either way it's not on the Hybrid shroud.

I my case with Hybrid, I will have to mount/stick the fan on the front plate, black coloured plate similar to the back plate. Then put the Hybrid kit shroud on top.

• Replies 928
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I should correct myself. I have 4995s, ACX SC+, the fans for them are on the heat sink. That's not usable.

For the Hybrid kit, they have given a floating shroud. As per the instructions, if you use a stock card, the blower should be already on the card. I guess it should be on the front plate, I do not know for sure. Either way it's not on the Hybrid shroud.

I my case with Hybrid, I will have to mount/stick the fan on the front plate, black coloured plate similar to the back plate. Then put the Hybrid kit shroud on top.

Yeah, the SC+ is the 4995. We do mean the same thing with front plate and heatspreader lol, or more specifically, the VRM heatspreader/mid-plate. I've been considering doing it myself but getting the blower fan mounted onto the heatspreader correctly without it buckling is going to be a bit of a pain, are you planning on making your own mounting bracket and welding it to the heatspreader or something? Also, did your hybrid kit come with the new black and silver shroud, or the old ugly black and gold one lol?

Yeah, the SC+ is the 4995. We do mean the same thing with front plate and heatspreader lol, or more specifically, the VRM heatspreader/mid-plate. I've been considering doing it myself but getting the blower fan mounted onto the heatspreader correctly without it buckling is going to be a bit of a pain, are you planning on making your own mounting bracket and welding it to the heatspreader or something? Also, did your hybrid kit come with the new black and silver shroud, or the old ugly black and gold one lol?

I do not have experience with this, some 3M double sided tape or super glue won't do?

It black and gold alright.

Edit: I think it's a bad idea, that thing is heavy and spinning at 1000rpm. And the hybrid shroud does work with 4995, there are no mount points. I think I'll just put an extra fan blowing down on the cards. That should keep the VRM cool I guess.

Edited by DukeSan27

Well, I've thrown in the towel. Going to request a refund tomorrow. Already agreed to sell my cooler to my buddy for his CPU. Going to sell him my H80i GT and keep my H100i GTX for my CPU. EVGA Hybrid cooler is already on its way.

Really wanted this to work, but, after waiting 3 months for release, finally getting it, having the first one not work, RMA'ing that for a second one and having that not work, I'm done trying. I know the EVGA solution works as I've already installed it on a friends card and it works brilliantly.

Oh well, maybe Corsair will learn from this experience.

I also give up on this bracket.

I re-installed the EVGA hybrid kit and it does not even hit 55 on load, 10 minutes on Valley. Where's as the HG10+H80i was hitting 70+.

I suppose the fundamental problem is that does not mount directly on the PCB as the EVGA does, so will be mis-aligned unless you get really lucky. Not to mention the bent card.

I do not have experience with this, some 3M double sided tape or super glue won't do?

It black and gold alright.

Edit: I think it's a bad idea, that thing is heavy and spinning at 1000rpm. And the hybrid shroud does work with 4995, there are no mount points. I think I'll just put an extra fan blowing down on the cards. That should keep the VRM cool I guess.

Gutted lol :( I would have as many fans as you can blowing air onto the graphics card, just to be safe. I plan on going the G10 route though there are other alternatives, like the Arctic Accelero Hybrid II (which works well, just looks horrible), the EK Predator 360 with pre-filled QDC full cover GPU block, or just the reference 980 Ti heatspreader and shroud + EVGA hybrid kit.

I smell a recall.

Hopefully. There's a gap in the market for a well designed N980; the G10 lacks VRM cooling and restricts choice of coolers, the hybrid kit only works with reference cards, and the Accelero Hybrid II isn't widely available, is expensive, ugly and you're stuck with what comes in the box.

• Corsair Employee

So there are a couple of things going on here that you folks should know about.

First, regarding the N980: we were using prototypes with no functional problems. Contact with the GPU die was good on the H55 and H75 when I personally used it on a 980 Ti. That said, there's a very big warning:

You must only finger-tighten the thumbscrews.

Using a screwdriver will substantially increase the amount of warping the board undertakes and will negatively affect contact. The N980 is going to warp the board a little bit, but it straightens out and works perfectly fine when the card is installed in an expansion slot; the warping is purely cosmetic and an unfortunate byproduct of trying to mount a CPU cooler to a GPU die.

Now, that being said, we're taking a few steps over here to investigate the problem further:

1. We're going to be investigating the standoffs snapping, so RMA'ed units with this problem would be appreciated.

2. We'll be shooting and posting a "How to Install" video specifically for the N980.

3. The Technical Marketing department (my department) is getting multiple production samples in for fitment/performance testing. We're not typically in charge of doing this type of testing, but we're on the hook to reproduce problems with parts that are in the wild.

4. For now, we're proceeding under the premise that when properly installed and the cooler properly mounted, the N980 does warp the PCB slightly but not significantly and is otherwise totally functional. We're definitely looking at alternative solutions for the longer term as well.

As a side note, I can understand concerns about the cards warping. It's unsightly and certainly worrisome for end users strapping these to $650 and $1000 cards. It's also remarkably difficult to actually work around from a mechanical standpoint; while on the A1 (290/290X) the GPU was a bit higher on the board and we could use all of the existing mounting holes to stabilize the card, NVIDIA's cards have the GPU lower on the board. We actually lose one of the main mounting holes in the process of trying to get a cooler installed. I'm not convinced there isn't a better way to do this, but tradeoffs were made in this design that led to the minor warping of the card. I'll be personally looking into it, though.

• Confused 1

Dustin, big thanks for responding. A quick question:

- You mention only finger-tightening the thumbscrews. Does that mean that the other screws (mounting the N980 to the PCB) should be fully tightened? I think that myself and others perceived that tightening the mounting screws was leading to much of the bending.

For reference on the issues I was seeing. Here are my details:

GPU: EVGA 06G-P4-4992 980 TI

Cooler: H100i GTX

Process: As the instructions stated, I used the standoffs. I first removed the thermal pads and manually applied them to the VRM and VRAM as to not hit any of the other, taller components. I installed the bracket putting minimal pressure on the screws (on the second bracket I received) to the point that they were barely tight. I installed the pump, tightening down the screws in a star pattern until there was minimal pressure on the screws.

While there was minor bending in the PCB, it wasn't very dramatic. The biggest problem I found were A) the pump was not sitting level on the card, no matter what order I tightened the screws and how much pressure on each side of the pump there was, I couldn't eliminate the gap. B) the provided standoffs appear to be too tall. There was at least a 1 or 2 mm gap between the die and the pump.

I'm not sure if the 2 pumps you guys tested with require the standoffs or not, but I think that is where the biggest culprit resides, is it possible that the standoffs are just too tall for the card?

I have already gone through the refund process, but hoping these details will help you find the issue for others.

For reference on the issues I was seeing. Here are my details:

GPU: EVGA 06G-P4-4992 980 TI

Cooler: H100i GTX

There was at least a 1 or 2 mm gap between the die and the pump.

I find this very interesting.

I have EVGA 4995 cards.

On one of them I used HG10+H80i, no stand offs, it sat well but I don't think I was able to align it, the temps were not good as I mentioned.

On another 4995, I used EVGAs Hybrid kit, although EVGA says the kit is not compatible with 4995, but its compatible with other EVGA cards with non-ACX cooling e.g 4992.

What I noticed while installing EVGA kit was that when the water block is flush with the GPU, the screws (M2x6mm I think) )which came with 4995 are not long enough to mount it as is. The screws came with springs, I had to remove the springs and then only the screws could reach the block (from the below the board). All installation videos I saw with non-4995 cards show the screws being used with the springs!

I think there are only two possibilities:

1. The 4995 screws are shorter than other EVGA cards

2. The GPU surface height is different for 4995 vs others

I looked at a videos and screw lengths "appear" to be similar. Which leaves point 2 open. Is that even probable?

The gap of 1-2 mm you saw, would be consistent with GPU height being lower on 4992 vs 4995.

• Corsair Employee

Just a heads up, we've stopped shipment on the N980 due to manufacturing issues.

That being said, for users that are having problems, please comment with the make and model of graphics card you installed the HG10 on, what Hydro Series cooler you opted to use, and what problems you had so that I can aggregate this information and bring it forward to engineering.

I find this very interesting.

I have EVGA 4995 cards.

On one of them I used HG10+H80i, no stand offs, it sat well but I don't think I was able to align it, the temps were not good as I mentioned.

On another 4995, I used EVGAs Hybrid kit, although EVGA says the kit is not compatible with 4995, but its compatible with other EVGA cards with non-ACX cooling e.g 4992.

What I noticed while installing EVGA kit was that when the water block is flush with the GPU, the screws (M2x6mm I think) )which came with 4995 are not long enough to mount it as is. The screws came with springs, I had to remove the springs and then only the screws could reach the block (from the below the board). All installation videos I saw with non-4995 cards show the screws being used with the springs!

I think there are only two possibilities:

1. The 4995 screws are shorter than other EVGA cards

2. The GPU surface height is different for 4995 vs others

I looked at a videos and screw lengths "appear" to be similar. Which leaves point 2 open. Is that even probable?

The gap of 1-2 mm you saw, would be consistent with GPU height being lower on 4992 vs 4995.

The PCB of the 1996, 4990, 4991, 4992, 4993 and 4995 are exactly the same though; all Nvidia built reference boards. The screws may be different on the completely reference cards though, but I assume that the HG10 comes with its own screws to mount the CLLC block?

The PCB of the 1996, 4990, 4991, 4992, 4993 and 4995 are exactly the same though; all Nvidia built reference boards. The screws may be different on the completely reference cards though, but I assume that the HG10 comes with its own screws to mount the CLLC block?

That leaves only screws being different then.

The HG10 has its own thumb-screws, but they mount the water block on to the HG10, not to the board. The HG10 is separately mounted on the board first.

That leaves only screws being different then.

The HG10 has its own thumb-screws, but they mount the water block on to the HG10, not to the board. The HG10 is separately mounted on the board first.

That's what I mean, if the HG10 comes with screws, you're not using the original screws that came with the video card so the screw length of them doesn't matter.

That's what I mean, if the HG10 comes with screws, you're not using the original screws that came with the video card so the screw length of them doesn't matter.

I meant, Iff (Note: iff), the GPU heights were different for 4995 and 4992, then Corsair could not have the same mounting height+plus screws which work for both 4995 and 4992. They would need two sets. But iff.

Just a heads up, we've stopped shipment on the N980 due to manufacturing issues.

That being said, for users that are having problems, please comment with the make and model of graphics card you installed the HG10 on, what Hydro Series cooler you opted to use, and what problems you had so that I can aggregate this information and bring it forward to engineering.

Hi Dustin, I have the N980 with a 80i GT attached. My unit is working and is assembled properly. Now, I get a idle temp of 40 and a max temp of 64. This is not good on this bracket. My is actually installed correctly and working. These aren't advertised temperatures. Now seeing as I did not get a faulty product and is working corrctly, you guys should do a recall. Even with mine working correctly, I am getting the same temps as my GPU on air cooling. This is not good. I ordered the EVGA Hybrid cooler and when it comes in the mail, I am returning this bracket and the cooler and expecting a full refund.

Hi Dustin, I have the N980 with a 80i GT attached. My unit is working and is assembled properly. Now, I get a idle temp of 40 and a max temp of 64. This is not good on this bracket. My is actually installed correctly and working. These aren't advertised temperatures. Now seeing as I did not get a faulty product and is working corrctly, you guys should do a recall. Even with mine working correctly, I am getting the same temps as my GPU on air cooling. This is not good. I ordered the EVGA Hybrid cooler and when it comes in the mail, I am returning this bracket and the cooler and expecting a full refund.

To be fair, advertised temps were using a H100i. Those temps are only slightly high. I'd be happy with them.

To be fair, advertised temps were using a H100i. Those temps are only slightly high. I'd be happy with them.

The EVGA kit idles at 18°C it hits 55 on a really high over clock. The kit is $100 and comes with a radiator. This kit should do be than these temperatures because of a thicker radiator.

Nvidia Titan X

H75

Besides the broken standoff on my first HG10, I could not get the cooler to make good contact, tried only hand tightening, varying tightness and order of tightness, idled at 32 and jumped up to 85 during games. Air cooler would top out at 81.

I tried installing the H75 with both the Intel and AMD brackets, tried 4 times, making sure the thumbscrews were placed in a cross pattern. Never could get temps to stay under 80 at load.

I received my G10s today. I took the HG10 off and replaced it with the G10 to compare. Yes I know no vrm or ram cooling, but with the mount on the HG10 I am not sure you're getting anything that will cool better than just air. I bought some heatsinks to go on later.

Anyway on to the results. I've installed on one card so far.

H90 push/pull in open case.

Corsair N980: 28'c idle, 55'c load stock clock (fans at 100%, 4995 card)

Corsair N980: 28'c idle, 63'c load overclocked (fans at 100%,+87mv,110% power, ~1450mhz)

kraken G10: 23'c idle, 39'c load stock clock (fans at 60 %, 4995 card)

kraken G10: 23'c idle, 42'c load overclocked (fans at 60%+87mv,110% power, ~1450mhz)

I think those results speak for themselves. It all has to do with the mount difference. The G10 gives a far better mount and you can see it in the results. I am blown away by these temperatures, they are from furmark for 30 minutes. I even increased my overclock and almost got to 1500mhz, on my low asic card.

Even better the fan is quiet and I can set it to zero rpm. I think I'll return my N980, sounds like corsair is leaning towards recall anyway.

Not a great execution but I hope they continue to push forward on PC development, one bad product isn't so bad.

Sounds right for those clocks/volts. Enjoy! :cool:

Up from 1440 gaming stable to 1490 on my cards since switching from the air coolers. I can bench at 1510, (66/72 asics). The vrm fan is quiet even at full blast, yes. I've attached small heatsinks underneath the bracket for the vrm's. That should be better then a midplate (bog standard sheet of metal).

What ambient temps u have in the room btw? 20c? too cold for my skin:) I go up to 49/52 (2nd card has bad TIM apply) at 1.26v but my ambient temps are in the 23-26C range, idle at 26/28 currently.

Edited by skkane