Corsair Community

HG10 N980 & N970 Thread - Post Issues Here

TheDudeLasse

• Replies 928
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, at least my build is finally moving forward... Dual EVGA 4995's w/ backplates crammed in a 350D - it can be done! I'll try and get back to y'all with some temps soon.

http://oi66.tinypic.com/2444n7c.jpg

Nice,

I'll be trying to do this as well, dual 4995's with H90's, but I'm in a 750D instead, so I have a little more space to work with. Starting tomorrow, but with family responsibilities, it will likely take me a little longer.

Can you speak to any tips/tricks you used to make the backplates work?

I was having massive heating problems, 92+*C, with GPU1 whenever I ran Grand Theft Auto 5 & SW Battlefront (beta). I suspected my problem was mainly because I'm using a MicroATX case and board which resulted in nearly ZERO room between the cards for my SLI setup. Long story short, I heard about the HG10 last week and ordered one up from Amazon. The bracket came in to work today and before heading home to get the install going, I found this thread. After reading pages upon pages of issues, I was pretty discouraged to even attempt an install. But I figured I'd give it a shot and hope for the best. Needless to say, the install went smoothly and I feel extremely fortunate to have everything working as I had hoped; the temps are finally in range..76*C max. I ended up going with an H60 for the cooler, my first attempt at using an H20 solution. Phew! Good luck out there!

http://s1.postimg.org/hir8okhuz/Corsair_N980.jpg

http://s3.postimg.org/526nup2sf/Corsair_N980a.jpg

CorsairN980.thumb.jpg.6087ec55680fc29caf1254d8ca741f4e.jpg

CorsairN980a.jpg.ffe31bfd83bbfc7c98814cbcb5693b08.jpg

Edited by Mr. P
added images

Why i 90 degree fitting on the gpu unit? Straight fittings would be better....

I know it's intended to use a cpu-cooling unit and they all are 90 degree, but this application is not the same. To be able to make a good install there should be a straight fitting option for a cooler.

B_M

Edited by Big_Mazza

Based on what this thread is showing. It appears as though only the new models of coolers are having issues maybe? Seems like the smaller, older coolers are doing a lot better. Anyone have any good luck with coolers like the H80i GT, H100i GTX, or H110i GTX? Seems like all the luck is coming from the non 'i' models, which are the older models.

Based on what this thread is showing. It appears as though only the new models of coolers are having issues maybe? Seems like the smaller, older coolers are doing a lot better. Anyone have any good luck with coolers like the H80i GT, H100i GTX, or H110i GTX? Seems like all the luck is coming from the non 'i' models, which are the older models.

My H80i GT is working, just not getting better temps: idle 40°C Underload doesn't past 60°C

So, I have revised my plan on how I am going to approach this install.

I am going to Install my H90's using the HG10 N980 bracket, but I am planon supplementing the bracket by looping zip ties around each of the four arms on the AIO bracket, and zipping them through the holes in the board, to make sure the coolers have more intimate contact with the board.

It may seem a little ghetto, but there is a long history in the modding community of attaching AIO coolers entirely using zip ties, so it is not as crazy as it may seem.

I will let you guys know how it goes.

Sounds right for those clocks/volts. Enjoy! :cool:

Up from 1440 gaming stable to 1490 on my cards since switching from the air coolers. I can bench at 1510, (66/72 asics). The vrm fan is quiet even at full blast, yes. I've attached small heatsinks underneath the bracket for the vrm's. That should be better then a midplate (bog standard sheet of metal).

What ambient temps u have in the room btw? 20c? too cold for my skin:) I go up to 49/52 (2nd card has bad TIM apply) at 1.26v but my ambient temps are in the 23-26C range, idle at 26/28 currently.

I think my ambient temp is about 21'c or so.

Last night I ran at stock for the 4995 at 100% fans and I recorded a 34'c load temperature!! after 30 minutes of furmark. The HG10 just doesn't get the same contact to the gpu

I want to get heatsinks on my vrms so I can put a bios on my card to increase voltage.

How did you attach your heatsinks? I bought these ones:

http://www.amazon.com/Cosmos-Aluminum-Cooling-Heatsinks-cooler/dp/B007XACV8O/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1447255807&sr=8-3&keywords=ram+heatsinks

The fit perfectly on the idividual mosfets but I'm having a hard time getting them to stick, it seems like its hard to get tape to stick to the back of those chips?

How did you get yours to work?

Last night I ran at stock for the 4995 at 100% fans and I recorded a 34'c load temperature!! after 30 minutes of furmark. The HG10 just doesn't get the same contact to the gpu

I want to get heatsinks on my vrms so I can put a bios on my card to increase voltage.

http://www.amazon.com/Cosmos-Aluminum-Cooling-Heatsinks-cooler/dp/B007XACV8O/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1447255807&sr=8-3&keywords=ram+heatsinks

The fit perfectly on the idividual mosfets but I'm having a hard time getting them to stick, it seems like its hard to get tape to stick to the back of those chips?

I think it should be fine to attach the heat sinks to the front plate, at least I will try that.

The way I saw it, the stock ACX heat sink on 4995 hardly even touches the front plate, its mostly attached to the GPU. Though it has a fan on it. The front plate does get very hot, so I guess it is transferring heat from VRMs and fan cools the plate.

can anyone tell me just how loud the N980 blower fan is at minimum speed?

I'm trying to figure out if I need to look into how to mod that too.

It may wind up being quieter under heavy GPU load, but most of the time my GPU's are at idle, and then EVGA's ACX 2.0+ coolers turn the fans completely off.

I guess I'm trying to determine if I will be able to hear it over my case fans.

• Corsair Employee
Dustin, big thanks for responding. A quick question:

- You mention only finger-tightening the thumbscrews. Does that mean that the other screws (mounting the N980 to the PCB) should be fully tightened? I think that myself and others perceived that tightening the mounting screws was leading to much of the bending.

The others should be tightened until snug.

Could you atleast honor the first shipment to the reseller inet.se in Sweden?

Negative, not with an outstanding issue that jeopardizes peoples' cards.

How long will it take Before the Product are released for shipment again?

We're working to get them released ASAP.

We've discovered that the screw kit included with the HG10-N980 is actually wrong and not to spec, and that's resulting in increased warping and poor contact between the cooler and the GPU. You might see better results by using the AMD mounts, but I'd recommend waiting until we've sourced the necessary kits. You guys are mounting these on $650 and $1000 cards, I'm not especially keen on seeing anything go wrong.

I would go for some quality 3m double sided thermal tape.

I'm using akasa thermal tape. They don't stick that good but enough to stay there if i'm carefull with the card. The vrm chips are very small so the contact point is not that great.

can anyone tell me just how loud the N980 blower fan is at minimum speed?

I'm trying to figure out if I need to look into how to mod that too.

It may wind up being quieter under heavy GPU load, but most of the time my GPU's are at idle, and then EVGA's ACX 2.0+ coolers turn the fans completely off.

I guess I'm trying to determine if I will be able to hear it over my case fans.

It's very noticeable, I have the same card and when I hooked up the hg10 I noticed it right away. The fan cannot be turned down below 40%, eventhough the EVGA card allows for that, it just won't go any lower even if you set your own fan curve. Apparently it looks like they've put a minimum fan speed requirement through the PWM.

My system in windows desktop was silient before I put the HG10 on so I noticed the fans right away. That was one of the selling feaures of the EVGA card, silent at idle.

I actually saw really good cooling results from my HG10, but the fan was so annoyingly loud compared to the stock acx 2.0 that drove me to get the G10.

To me, having a fan that is loud at idle removes the benefit of going for an AIO.

Edited by cpuovertime

We've discovered that the screw kit included with the HG10-N980 is actually wrong and not to spec, and that's resulting in increased warping and poor contact between the cooler and the GPU. You might see better results by using the AMD mounts, but I'd recommend waiting until we've sourced the necessary kits. You guys are mounting these on $650 and $1000 cards, I'm not especially keen on seeing anything go wrong.

Dustin,

First off, thank you for looking into and solving this.

Can you give us any idea what to expect from a screw kit replacement perspective, for those of us who already have the N980's? Should we be contacting support?

Also, I know you probably don't have this information yet, but when you do, I think I speak for all of us when I request that you please give us an idea of what your timeline looks like. A lot of us have been waiting for a while, and some of the natives are starting to get a little restless :p

Dustin,

First off, thank you for looking into and solving this.

Can you give us any idea what to expect from a screw kit replacement perspective, for those of us who already have the N980's? Should we be contacting support?

Also, I know you probably don't have this information yet, but when you do, I think I speak for all of us when I request that you please give us an idea of what your timeline looks like. A lot of us have been waiting for a while, and some of the natives are starting to get a little restless :p

This

For those of us that bought the HG10 N980, but haven't even opened it yet. How would we go about getting the correct screw kit? This better not be another 3 months of delay and waiting.

It's very noticeable, I have the same card and when I hooked up the hg10 I noticed it right away. The fan cannot be turned down below 40%, eventhough the EVGA card allows for that, it just won't go any lower even if you set your own fan curve. Apparently it looks like they've put a minimum fan speed requirement through the PWM.

My system in windows desktop was silient before I put the HG10 on so I noticed the fans right away. That was one of the selling feaures of the EVGA card, silent at idle.

I actually saw really good cooling results from my HG10, but the fan was so annoyingly loud compared to the stock acx 2.0 that drove me to get the G10.

To me, having a fan that is loud at idle removes the benefit of going for an AIO.

Hmm.

Yeah, that is a common problem with fans. Usually they have to maintain a minimum fan speed in order to overcome friction and keep spinning reliably.

In many applications having a fan stop completely would be undesirable as you'd wind up in a resonant cycle where less fan speed is called for, so the fan spins down, but dip below the point where it can no longer overcome friction, and it stops all together, then whatever you are cooling gets hotter and hotter until the fan spins on again, and you wind up with an annoying cycling on and off.

Intel's PWM spec states that fans should be able to reach a minimum speed of 30% of max, where they should be able to operate, and spin up from standstill. Intel leaves it up to the individual fan makers to decide what happens under 30%. They can either just have any lower PWM signal spin the fan at that lower minimum, or they can continue linearly down as long as they want to, some all the way down to 0.

The problem with the Intel PWM spec is that it is intended for motherboard/CPU applications, and even then there's nothing requiring anyone to abide by it, it's just a guideline.

Making fans that can spin reliably at lower percentages of max speeds requires the use of more expensive bearings, so the cost incentive drives most manufacturers to have a higher minimum fan speed.

As an example, I was unhappy with the minimum fan speed of the included fans that came with my H110i GTX, and ordered some similarly speced (from a max airflow and static pressure perspective) Noctua fans (140mm iPPC 2000).

These are great fans, they spin as low as 25% of max speed, and will shut off completely if PWM signal reaches 0% (so, 0%PWM=0%FANSPEED, 0-25%PWM=25%FANSPEED, 25-100%PWM=FANSPEED=PWM) but they also cost $27 a piece, and if included with a cooler would drive up the cost significantly. I mean, that would be $54 in fans alone, for the cooler.

So companies like Corsair have to walk a fine line between cost of fans and their performance and noise floor. With AIO coolers it usually isn't a big deal. For those who care more, they can buy their own fans, but with something like the blower fan on the N980, there really isn't much you can do to replace it yourself. You simply can't buy a standard GPU blower fan (at least not right now when I searched on Amazon)

You can test your fans to see how they behave at 0% PWM by shorting the (usually blue) pin 4 PWM wire to a black ground wire and see what happens. The fan should interpret this as 0% PWM and respond accordingly.

Not quite sure what I am going to do about the blower fan. I am going to test it and see how loud it is compared to my other fans. I have lots of fans in my case, but they are all running at low speeds, so they arent very loud.

At idle I have 5 Corsair SP140's pulling air out of the case, turned down to ~5V using a fan controller. I also have two AF120 (silent edition) pulling air in the bottom at ~7.5V in the fan controller, and one of the 140mm corsair fans that came with my 750D case pulling air in the back, also at ~7.5V.

The PSU has never been audible. I also have two 3TB WD Greens spinning in an IcyDock FatCage in my bottom two 5.25" bays (top is taken by the 6 channel case fan controller)

Other than that, there's the H110i GTX fans, which - once I get the Noctuas in there - should be completely silent at idle and the two 980ti's which currently are silent at idle, but we'll see what happens when I install the N980's.

I was going to use the fans that came with the H90's for the 980ti's, as they seem to spin down to a much more tolerable noise level than the ones that came with the H110i GTX, but I am really liking the industrial Noctuas very much, as they have LOTS of power at full blast, but become completely silent when not needed.

Now the issue becomes what to do with those blowers.

Maybe I'll install a switch to manually turn them off at idle, only flipping them back on when I load up a game. Question is where to put it without it getting ugly. (You know, I never really use the rest button, I could rewire it to some sort of relay...)

What my setup looks like currently (click for larger)

22959278431_3bec127764.jpg

The H90's for the 980ti's are going to blow out the front in push pull with the existing SP140's

What it looks like all put together:

19967410200_6ac400daea.jpg 19929929986_b9ebf7c6be.jpg

And of course, it powers this:

19039313541_c888a20f99.jpg

Hmm.

Yeah, that is a common problem with fans. Usually they have to maintain a minimum fan speed in order to overcome friction and keep spinning reliably.

In many applications having a fan stop completely would be undesirable as you'd wind up in a resonant cycle where less fan speed is called for, so the fan spins down, but dip below the point where it can no longer overcome friction, and it stops all together, then whatever you are cooling gets hotter and hotter until the fan spins on again, and you wind up with an annoying cycling on and off.

Intel's PWM spec states that fans should be able to reach a minimum speed of 30% of max, where they should be able to operate, and spin up from standstill. Intel leaves it up to the individual fan makers to decide what happens under 30%. They can either just have any lower PWM signal spin the fan at that lower minimum, or they can continue linearly down as long as they want to, some all the way down to 0.

The problem with the Intel PWM spec is that it is intended for motherboard/CPU applications, and even then there's nothing requiring anyone to abide by it, it's just a guideline.

Making fans that can spin reliably at lower percentages of max speeds requires the use of more expensive bearings, so the cost incentive drives most manufacturers to have a higher minimum fan speed.

As an example, I was unhappy with the minimum fan speed of the included fans that came with my H110i GTX, and ordered some similarly speced (from a max airflow and static pressure perspective) Noctua fans (140mm iPPC 2000).

These are great fans, they spin as low as 25% of max speed, and will shut off completely if PWM signal reaches 0% (so, 0%PWM=0%FANSPEED, 0-25%PWM=25%FANSPEED, 25-100%PWM=FANSPEED=PWM) but they also cost $27 a piece, and if included with a cooler would drive up the cost significantly. I mean, that would be $54 in fans alone, for the cooler.

So companies like Corsair have to walk a fine line between cost of fans and their performance and noise floor. With AIO coolers it usually isn't a big deal. For those who care more, they can buy their own fans, but with something like the blower fan on the N980, there really isn't much you can do to replace it yourself. You simply can't buy a standard GPU blower fan (at least not right now when I searched on Amazon)

You can test your fans to see how they behave at 0% PWM by shorting the (usually blue) pin 4 PWM wire to a black ground wire and see what happens. The fan should interpret this as 0% PWM and respond accordingly.

Not quite sure what I am going to do about the blower fan. I am going to test it and see how loud it is compared to my other fans. I have lots of fans in my case, but they are all running at low speeds, so they arent very loud.

At idle I have 5 Corsair SP140's pulling air out of the case, turned down to ~5V using a fan controller. I also have two AF120 (silent edition) pulling air in the bottom at ~7.5V in the fan controller, and one of the 140mm corsair fans that came with my 750D case pulling air in the back, also at ~7.5V.

The PSU has never been audible. I also have two 3TB WD Greens spinning in an IcyDock FatCage in my bottom two 5.25" bays (top is taken by the 6 channel case fan controller)

Other than that, there's the H110i GTX fans, which - once I get the Noctuas in there - should be completely silent at idle and the two 980ti's which currently are silent at idle, but we'll see what happens when I install the N980's.

I was going to use the fans that came with the H90's for the 980ti's, as they seem to spin down to a much more tolerable noise level than the ones that came with the H110i GTX, but I am really liking the industrial Noctuas very much, as they have LOTS of power at full blast, but become completely silent when not needed.

Now the issue becomes what to do with those blowers.

Maybe I'll install a switch to manually turn them off at idle, only flipping them back on when I load up a game. Question is where to put it without it getting ugly. (You know, I never really use the rest button, I could rewire it to some sort of relay...)

What my setup looks like currently (click for larger)

22959278431_3bec127764.jpg

The H90's for the 980ti's are going to blow out the front in push pull with the existing SP140's

What it looks like all put together:

19967410200_6ac400daea.jpg 19929929986_b9ebf7c6be.jpg

And of course, it powers this:

19039313541_c888a20f99.jpg

Wow looks great.

One thing I considered with the fan was to hook it up to the motherboard (you will need a converter). That way you can cut power to it (on my Asus I can anyway, I think others are probably the same). Basically it auto turns the fan off.

The issue with that though is it will be linked to the CPU temperature and not to the GPU but I am sure your CPU temperatures go up when you are gaming. It would give you a way to control the fan when you're not using the video cards.

Wow looks great.

One thing I considered with the fan was to hook it up to the motherboard (you will need a converter). That way you can cut power to it (on my Asus I can anyway, I think others are probably the same). Basically it auto turns the fan off.

The issue with that though is it will be linked to the CPU temperature and not to the GPU but I am sure your CPU temperatures go up when you are gaming. It would give you a way to control the fan when you're not using the video cards.

Thanks,

Yea that is one way to do it.

On my particular model (Asus P9x79 WS) I can't set the CPU fan to voltage control, it only does PWM control, but I CAN set the case fan headers to voltage control.

I've never used those though. I wonder what they drive off of. Case temp diode? I wonder where that diode is on the board. Might actually not be a bad input.

I wonder if I have to split off the return RPM wire back to the GPU. Some systems throw a hissy fit if they don't see an rpm signal when they expect one.

Thanks,

Yea that is one way to do it.

On my particular model (Asus P9x79 WS) I can't set the CPU fan to voltage control, it only does PWM control, but I CAN set the case fan headers to voltage control.

I've never used those though. I wonder what they drive off of. Case temp diode? I wonder where that diode is on the board. Might actually not be a bad input.

I wonder if I have to split off the return RPM wire back to the GPU. Some systems throw a hissy fit if they don't see an rpm signal when they expect one.

I am not to familiar with that motherboard. It looks like it's compatible with fan xpert and ai suite.

The limitation I was talking about is that in fan xpert you only get the choice to link to 3 temperature diodes. One is the pch (chipset), cpu, motherboard temperature (not sure where the diode is). So you can link any header on the board to either of those three diodes.

on my motherboard the CPU is the only header that needs a fan attached or the system will error. You can remove this error though if you don't want to use teh cpu header. The others have no limitations

The problem with voltage control is that the rpm range is more limited. So you can often only go from 50 to 100 percent instead of 30 to 100. My Noiseblocker fansshow an interesting behaviour btw: They don't run at all if the pwm signal is below 25 percent.