Corsair Community

System Compatability

koz2237

I have an HP Pavillion a520N computer. The computer has an A7N8X-LA motherboard.( Apparently this is an a proprietary version of the A7N8X. The computer currently has 512MG's (2x256) of PC2700 @333MHZ installed. I am considering upgrading to 1GB PC3200 @ 400MHZ (2x512) Corsair Value Rate Dual Channel memory. There doesn't seem to be any question about its compatibility with PC3200, but it's not clear whether my system is compatible with dual channel memory. My question is: will installing the dual channell cause any problems if the mobo does not support it? Also, the BIOS on this computer is apparently watered down (for idiots!) and I have no way of compensating for speed and voltage if any corrections are required. I'm wondering if I wouldn't be better off using two 512's instead of the dual channel package. Also, I'm wondering what kind of improvement in performance I might see with this kind of upgrade? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks koz2237

• Corsair Employee
You will need to have matching memory if you plan on running in dual channel and this MB I would have to assume is an IGP version IE integrated Graphics, and if so then it may only support DDR333 as that is a chipset limitation! Not to mention, it will be based on CPU speed as well! If you have a 133/166 FSB CPU DDR333 would be suggested!

RamGuy, The specs say this mobo will support DDR400 but it is not clear whether it will support dual channel. Will the memory work anyhow? Also, as there are no memory settings in my BIOS, am I correct in assuming it should automatically select the appropriate settings? Thanks, koz2237

I installed the memory on the computer. The BIOS recognizes the 1GB but it reads it as PC2700 instead of PC3200. Also, when I ran a PC Pitstop comparison test, the scores were lower with the new memory. The following is the part # of the memory installed: VSIGBKIT400C3. Here are the test scores for you to compare: [url]http://www.pcpitstop.com/pcpitstop/Summary.asp?conid=11265541[/url] [url]http://www.pcpitstop.com/pcpitstop/Summary.asp?conid=11440534[/url] Thanks, koz2237

Archived