Corsair Community

H115i noisy fans

Flycaster

Hi,

I had my H110i give up the ghost and have now been sent a H115i as a replacement. It is certainly keeping my rig icy cold but the problem I have is that the fans are so noisy. I have tried to lower the fan speed in LINK 4 but nothing happens, it just keeps at the same speed.

Anyone know how to fix this?

Click on the fan speed reading in the H115i box on the Main panel or click the fan dial in the configuration panel. This should bring up a pop-up box with line graph. Under group, it should say H115i Temp. This is coolant temperature and is the control variable. Coolant temp is a slow to change, steady value and very efficient for fan control. However, it is very dependent on your room/case temperature. The fan curve you use in Winter is not the same one you want for Summer and vice versa.

Figure out your normal baseline h115i Temp and then see where it goes for your normal load (what you do, not stress tests). Then set those two values to comfortable speeds. Notice the 40C=100% fan speed on the default presets. There is nothing special about 40C. If a 22C room, 40C may represent a large increase in system heat. If the room was 27C to start and 35C in the case, it doesn't take much to get to 40C and it no matter what, you still can't make it cooler than 35C. You don't need a ton of fan speed. Set a relaxed curve with a sharp rise a few degrees later to let you know if things are out of bounds. Remember room temp is additive to coolant temp. So if your H115i temp in a 20C room is 26C, it will be 34C in a 28C room. Make yourself some seasonal presets.

c-attack Thank you for your post, I have tried everything that you have posted but in England you don't get the variables offered.

It seems that the H115i is no friend to changing the fan speed, I have changed everything but still get the same moaning from the rig.

Maybe I misunderstood. Are you able to change the fan speed at all with any of the Link settings? (Quiet/perf./fixed/%)

Or are the fans just loud/noisy/irritating? I am assuming you have the stock SP140L included fans on, although those most certainly are not a requirement.

No, PWM is fine and frankly should not matter since the fan controller is internal to the SATA powered H115i. However, I think we still need to clarify if you have the radiator fans connected to pump block (and its splitter) or if you connected them directly to the motherboard or another fan controller. It can be done either way, but this fact changes our answer to you.

OK, well leave the BIOS CPU header set to PWM. On the H115i, that lead does do much other than report half pump speed and prevent the CPU fan error. All fan control is through Link when fans are connected to the pump and all power comes from the SATA cable.

Swap positions of the two fan connector on the Y-splitter. It could be one has a loose speed pin/wire or sometimes if just helps. Only one of the splitter ends takes a reading, so swapping allows the other fan to be the "speed control fan".

How fast are you fans running? Do they still not change speed at all?

Archived