Asus P8Z68-V Pro Gen 3

i7 2600K @ Stock

750W PSU

AMD 6950 2GB

16 GB of CML16GX3M4A1600C9B with X.M.P. on in the Bios, 1.5v

Windows 7 SP1

Series of Events

- Installed system & windows

- Downloaded and installed numerous games while playing a game (NFS, COH, Crysis, etc)

- No Issues

- Was installing a software package into a VM of Windows XP running in Virtual Box, while playing Crysis and I got a BSOD / dump

- System rebooted and I got a BSOD / Memory dump

- Rebooted again and went into Safe mode. BSOD and the system rebooted but my screen remained black.

Cause

1. Video

2. RAM

- Checked Video connections, removed and replaced card. Still couldn't boot, and screen remained black.

- Removed 2 RAM modules, turned the system on.

- Booted with out issue.

- Plugged the 2 RAM modules back in, couldn't get the system to boot again. Removed them....System booted.

?? Is it the DRAM voltage? Bios is at 1.5, should I push it? Is the RAM problematic?

I looked closer at the RAM modules and of the two I pulled out one of them has a "nick" for a lack of a better word on it. Would that be a possible cause?

Also it should be noted that when I had all 16 GB installed I would see a "lag" in loading certain apps; i.e. VM Player, hence why I tried Virtualbox. With just 8 GB installed, I see no lag.

Options? Purchase new 2X4GB Pair? or RMA these 4 ?

No, that wont cause any problems. There is not any damage to the contacts themselves.

With high capacity kits you may have to add some memory controller voltage. I believe it's VCCIO in your BIOS. Just add small amounts until it is stable. but don't go above 1.2v.

It might be worth googling overclocking guides for your MB to find the specific settings needed.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?265074-Sandy-Bridge-So-what-does-VccSA-and-VccIO-actually-do

No, that wont cause any problems. There is not any damage to the contacts themselves.

With high capacity kits you may have to add some memory controller voltage. I believe it's VCCIO in your BIOS. Just add small amounts until it is stable. but don't go above 1.2v.

It might be worth googling overclocking guides for your MB to find the specific settings needed.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?265074-Sandy-Bridge-So-what-does-VccSA-and-VccIO-actually-do

Hmm, but with the RAM installed I can't even see the bios, because the system fails to boot. (I have tried this "damaged" RAM in the working slots, so it isn't the board).

Doesn't answer why the system suddenly crashed and now won't boot with those sticks in place (any of the slots).

I also seen on the motherboard you have there is a feature called MemOK!. You may want to give that a try if your having issues trying to post to test the ram. ill give you a link on how to use it.
hope that helps.

I tried that with the 16 GB (4X4) as the light was on constantly RED, but it didn't work. Have to try it again on the 2X4 GB that are not working.

Ram Guy -I ran the test on the first stick (the problematic one, or so I believe) and by MemTest 8 there were 9 errors. RMA ?Screenshot

Thanks

• Corsair Employee
The timings are not set properly according to that screen shot. Please go to BIOS setup and be sure that you have the latest BIOS version and then load setup defaults and enable XMP then disable legacy USB and test the modules one at a time

The timings are not set properly according to that screen shot. Please go to BIOS setup and be sure that you have the latest BIOS version and then load setup defaults and enable XMP then disable legacy USB and test the modules one at a time

Thanks Ram Guy...

I tried and tried to get the system to boot and finally did with the one stick (problem stick I believe) and ensured XMP was on.

Ran the test again, even worse results.

Screenshot 1

Screenshot 2

RMA?

Ram Guy

When I put the module in, I have to press the MemOk button just to get the system to boot. When the Bios Menu comes up I load defaults as you instructed and then go in and enable X.M.P. (Profile #1) exist, save changes and reset. Then Grub loads and I execute MemTest.

Just to clarify, when I run with 8 GB (2 of the 4 modules, and not the problem module) I get into windows, boot just fine, play games, surf the web, run virtual machines, etc no problems. When I try to boot the system with all 4 modules I can't even get the system to post (even using MemOk). If I remove all the modules and place 2 of the 4 modules back in, but this time using the problem module, the system again won't post even with MemOK. If I remove the good module of the 2 and reboot then I have to press memOk to get the system to post with that one bad module and sometimes it takes a few minutes but it finally posts and I do the work that I stated in the first paragraph.

I really don't think it is the board if 2 of the 4 modules always works, and the other 2 do not.

Thank you, and because I endeavor to be thorough, I retest every stick again, and the results were the same. The other sticks run in MemTest with no errors and the system Posts instantly (all tested in slot 0). But this one stick, takes a moment longer to post and instantly in MemTest errors appear.

Personally I wish I didn't have to RMA this, and I am tired of unhooking and reconnecting this system every time I test. :-)

I will wait for the email info. Appreciate your help

Thanks, but nothing yet. Check yesterday and got the message about one coming.

Update I picked up set of 2X4GB Kit (CML8GX3M2A1600C9B) for two reasons 1. to ensure that the board isn't the issue, and 2. Ensure I have some way of using my new system while I wait for the RMA process to complete.

Results: I was able to boot up and run with 2 Modules from the 16 GB Kit (CML16GX3M2A1600C9B) and this new Kit. Played games and loaded everything I have in Windows, plus ran 2 virtual machines and played DC Online & Crysis Wardhead (max settings) at the same time. No issues.

So I thought well lets check every module again including the new one just for kicks. The result was undeniable that the suspect bad stick is still the only one that comes up with errors.

Yes, on the qvl of the mainboard this type of memory corsair 1600mhz ( not the same but similar ) is listed with 1.65 v. i have tried to set up the dram voltage and this has worked...... have also installed the acpi driver from the mb dvd ( asus ai suite/probe/x64 ora x32).

Archived