Corsair Community

Blue screen of death on an Intel DX48BT2

jfuh

I have some serious issues, installing a brand new system using an Intel extreme series board DX48BT2 running a Intel Q9550 processor with Corsair 4GB of ram TW3X4G1600C9D G. Using default settings I get the blue spalsh screen of death on installation of XP. So I went back to look at the BIOS

I noticed that the ram was running at only 1066MHz with latency's of 7-7-7 20 at 1.54V. Bizzarely I can't find the memory on any support site are they fakes?

What's going on? Can anyone help? Or is my system incompatible??

I think you're missing some letters from the part number:

TW3X4G1600C9DHX

They're definitely compatible, but you need to set the speed / timings / voltage manually.

HOWEVER: Note that your CPU has an FSB of 1333 MHz. You can't run the memory faster than the CPU on an Intel setup, so you'll need to OC the CPU to run the memory at it's rated speed of 1600 MHz.

No, not missing any letters, the product id is straight off both the box and also the mems themselves it is indeed TW3X4G1600C9D G.

Call me an idiot, but how do I go about OC'ing the CPU to match the mem frequency?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Corsair Employee

To run the memory at DDR1333 or above the CPU would have to be over clocked and the modules would need to be in the BLACK slots.

ALSO::

Did you see this post on that MB?

Hi,

Try these settings, please:

Intel DX48BT2, BT1554P BIOS, QX9770, TWIN3X4096-1600C7DHXIN

BT1554P BIOS setup | Quad SuperPi 32M | Prime95 Blend

Good luck! :):

To run the memory at DDR1333 or above the CPU would have to be over clocked and the modules would need to be in the BLACK slots.

ALSO::

Did you see this post on that MB?

I ran kingston memory modules as recommended by the Intel support site that were at 1333MHz, the board fully recognized the modules but still the blue screen of death.

Seems like a faulty board?

Did you read that post I linked it will help make the board stable but yes it may have some problem. Do you have the latest MB BIOS?

Yes, it's nice to see someone else with the same board. I loaded up the newest bios but it still didn't worked. Intel is doing an RMA so I'll get back after the new board, hopefully not.

• Corsair Employee
That was from our Lab one of our Test engineers who helps develop new modules and how he made that MB run with DDR1600 memory. And please note with Intel chipsets you cannot run the memory faster than the CPU FSB so in your case you would be limited to DDR1333 unless you can over clock your CPU.

• 1 month later...

Thanks to the Ram guy and Wired both.

Well intel sent me a nasty response claiming that I had "cut threads" on the board and now refused to give me a good board back, within record time sending me back the MOBO overnight express.

Freaking hair thin scratches they claim to be "cut" - funny thing with those scratches, they weren't there when I sent out the board.

Well that's it for me and intel mobo's.

So before I buy a new board to replace I need your expertise. I'm looking at the Asus P5E3 pro board. Everything else of the system being identical, same memory, same video card, same CPU and same power source. Obviously this will involve O.C-ing to 1600MHz - thus the Corsair H50 water cooling unit.

My only question is is this compatible? Any known issues before? As you can tell I've become completely paranoid now about the same **** happening all over again.

Here's the story with the DX48BT2 motherboard. Their original specs said it would run 4 gig of 1600 speed ram, in 2 slots only. Originally they said the blue slots. One document says the blue slot closest to the processor should ALWAYS be populated.Then they changed the info to the black slots, which means you can't populate that blue slot!!! Several months later their spec sheet said the board could only handle 2 gig! Also, the 1600 speed ram has to be XMP! That was the ram I started with a year ago, and have tried 4 other speeds/brands/combinations/underclocking the ram, etc. Nothing worked. Intel tech support has been non-existent. They say the board is able to handle 1600 speed ram, but their own website does not list a single compatible manufacturer of 1600 speed ram. When you go to the Intel forum and try to find information, it is obvious that it has been "sanitized." I know this for a fact because I asked pointed questions that their tech support has refused to answer. My other questions on their forum have gone unanswered. The Corsair forum has been the greatest help of all. As for your bios speed of 1066, I asked tech support repeatedly why this was the case, never got an answer. I know that there are some people who have gotten this board to run with 1600 speed ram, but their settings don't seem to work on my setup. I am now testing 3 sticks of 1333 speed ram, (for the second time) and oddly, the 1066 in bios is now showing 1333. My personal feeling is that this board is VERY particular about the ram it uses, a little too particular. Another issue I have observed is that when the system is running flawlessly with correct ram settings, on first startup in the morning, if the system does the famous restart of itself, the bios settings will have changed on the ram! 9-9-9-24 becomes 9-9-9-20, and then the freeze-up follows after the OS loads.

Archived