Corsair Community

Troubleshooting CMD16GX3M2A1866C9 on ASUS Sabertooth 990FX R2.0

MBomberZ1

Hi guys,

I am looking for some suggestions on the next step in trying to get this memory kit stable. I am running a new Dominator Platinum 1866 2x8GB kit of CMD16GX3M2A1866C9 and having stability issues. I checked the manual of the motherboard and it says this kit is compatible so I hope there is just a few settings to get this working right. This is what I have tried:

1. Loaded optimized defaults on motherboard settings (loads to 1333mhz 9-9-9-24-33)

2. Updated bios to newest revision (Asus Sabertooth 990FX R2)

3. Upped voltage to 1.55v (didn't want to go any higher unless instructed to)

4. Ran memtest86 on both sticks individually after trying everything, still getting errors on both sticks.

What should I try next? My guess is that if I'm getting errors on both it must be settings related.. Thanks for any help guys, I am by no means a memory guru so I will give anything a shot.

Hi guys,

I am looking for some suggestions on the next step in trying to get this memory kit stable. I am running a new Dominator Platinum 1866 2x8GB kit of CMD16GX3M2A1866C9 and having stability issues. I checked the manual of the motherboard and it says this kit is compatible so I hope there is just a few settings to get this working right. This is what I have tried:

1. Loaded optimized defaults on motherboard settings (loads to 1333mhz 9-9-9-24-33)

2. Updated bios to newest revision (Asus Sabertooth 990FX R2)

3. Upped voltage to 1.55v (didn't want to go any higher unless instructed to)

4. Ran memtest86 on both sticks individually after trying everything, still getting errors on both sticks.

What should I try next? My guess is that if I'm getting errors on both it must be settings related.. Thanks for any help guys, I am by no means a memory guru so I will give anything a shot.

Hi MBomberZ1

Wend running CMD16GX3M2A1866C9 at 1886MHz did you set latancy to 9-10-9-27? The CMD16GX3M2A1866C9 kit is compatible with Intel Z77, X79, Z68 and P67 platforms at 1.5v. But on ASUS Sabertooth 990FX you may have to push voltage to 1.6 to 1.65 to get stable.

Hope this help

Sincerly yours

What should be the limit on voltage for the kit? I don't want to cause damage.

I just set the timings to 9-10-9-27 1886mhz T2 1.625v and still got errors.

Then jumped down to 1600 then 1333. Still errors in the first minute.

I ran an old corsair kit I have from my previous system in there last night and it came up clean for errors so I think the motherboard and processor are fine.

Thanks for your help

Adding some more info on my trial and error process to help figure this out.

All of these tests have been tried at 1333mhz

-Upped the voltage to 1.65v after reading around and seeing this was common

-CPU/NB voltage +0.2

-tried all kinds of combinations of speeds and timings that the kit should be able to run under with new voltages

-Different Dimm slots

Memtest really goes south on Test #6, getting a few thousand errors in it. I am starting to lose hope, I have my old dominator kit CMD8GX3M4A1333C7 back in my board waiting for something else to try.

Thanks guys. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Edit.

I came across a post on another site and decided to give these settings a try.

-----------------

"Ok there are alot of memory timings to set. And some of these don't make sense when compared to the XMP profile.

Obviously the first ones,

CAS Latency = 9

RAS to CAS Delay = 9

RAS Pre Time = 9

RAS ACT Time = 24

Now the weird ones

Read to PRE Time = 5

RAS to RAS Delay = 5

WRITE to READ Delay = 5

CAS write latency = 7

Write Recovery Time = 10

REF Cycle Time = 160ns

Row Cycle Time = 41 (this is what you meant by 41 yes)

READ to WRITE delay = 7

WRITE to READ delay (DD) = 2

WRITE to WRITE Timing = 3

READ to READ Timing = 3

Refresh Rate = 7.8ms

DRAm Command Rate = 2T (this is where 2T goes yes?)

"

It now throws way less errors on test 6 at 1.5v. If I go higher they start pouring out seconds after the test starts. I started testing the sticks separately again since there is a big change in errors. Both still erroring. But now I'm down to maybe 50 errors for all of test 6 not 3000

I am considering returning this kit and getting this 4x8gb CMD32GX3M4A1600C9, if these issues cant be resolved. Would that kit work for me?

Adding some more info on my trial and error process to help figure this out.

All of these tests have been tried at 1333mhz

-Upped the voltage to 1.65v after reading around and seeing this was common

-CPU/NB voltage +0.2

-tried all kinds of combinations of speeds and timings that the kit should be able to run under with new voltages

-Different Dimm slots

Memtest really goes south on Test #6, getting a few thousand errors in it. I am starting to lose hope, I have my old dominator kit CMD8GX3M4A1333C7 back in my board waiting for something else to try.

Thanks guys. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Edit.

I came across a post on another site and decided to give these settings a try.

-----------------

"Ok there are alot of memory timings to set. And some of these don't make sense when compared to the XMP profile.

Obviously the first ones,

CAS Latency = 9

RAS to CAS Delay = 9

RAS Pre Time = 9

RAS ACT Time = 24

Now the weird ones

Read to PRE Time = 5

RAS to RAS Delay = 5

WRITE to READ Delay = 5

CAS write latency = 7

Write Recovery Time = 10

REF Cycle Time = 160ns

Row Cycle Time = 41 (this is what you meant by 41 yes)

READ to WRITE delay = 7

WRITE to READ delay (DD) = 2

WRITE to WRITE Timing = 3

READ to READ Timing = 3

Refresh Rate = 7.8ms

DRAm Command Rate = 2T (this is where 2T goes yes?)

"

It now throws way less errors on test 6 at 1.5v. If I go higher they start pouring out seconds after the test starts. I started testing the sticks separately again since there is a big change in errors. Both still erroring. But now I'm down to maybe 50 errors for all of test 6 not 3000

I am considering returning this kit and getting this 4x8gb CMD32GX3M4A1600C9, if these issues cant be resolved. Would that kit work for me?

Test the 2 memory modual separately at a maximum ove 1.65 voltesto se if one ove them if defect. If no error willd running in single channel. The the issuse come from Motherboard or CPU that don't andle 1866MHz OC speed.

tHEN YOU MAY HAVE BEND A PIN ON cpu SOKET, HAVE REACH MAXIMUM SPEED FOR MEMORY WITH YOU cpu OR NOTHERBOARD IS DEFECT

Not necessarily! I have seen a few cases of these boaards/CPU's that for some reason don't like the Vengeance series modules. Before you go swapping MB/s i would try another memory kit or have your kit replaced to see if the results are different.

With AMD's there are no pins in the sockets !

• Corsair Employee
I am familiar with this setup as I run it at home. When you configure the memory, you have to ensure you are not overclocking the CPU (it'll manually do so if you increase the DDR3 speed to 1866). After you change the DRAM settings to 9-10-9-27 @ 2T, keep the DRAM voltage at 1.5V for now. Then ensure that your CPU settings are still at default and have not increased. If they have, you'll have to manually underclock it back to defaults. If you don't remember the default speeds (its listed in the BIOS), restore it back to defaults, copy down the values, and then re-adjust them after adjusting for memory.

Thanks for the reply ram guy. I am following what you are saying and will give this a shot here in a bit. The memory timings you suggest, if I leave everything else on auto default, it should be Ok? I am afraid I have tried this combo before but will give it another shot.

I am considering giving this a shot on my older MSI 890fx GD70 just to test and see if the motherboard might actually be the problem. Any issue running these sticks on an 890fx chip set?

Well no luck. I tried the above settings on 1333 - 1866mhz and no luck. Test 6 gives instant errors.

I have swapped in my old 1055t processor and tried again, same results.

I am now trying my 1055t with my old Corsair cmd8gx3m4a11333 kit. First stick is passing fine. Makes me think that it is not the processor or motherboard yet but I can't be sure. More testing to be done.

Edit.

I notice that with my older kit memtest correctly recognizes the speed and timings. With the 1866 kit, it says its running 1-3-3-3 and ddr2. Is this anything of importance?

EDIT #2

Well I exchanged the kit, after 8+ hours testing it and needing this sytem for work, I couldnt justify messing with it any more. I ended up getting the CMD32GX3M4A1600C9 32GB Dominator Platinum kit. Memtest hasnt finished yet but I am an hour in and no errors. Its looking good, I couldn't make it more than 2 minutes on the other kit. I was really afraid this kit would throw errors as well since both sticks of the other one were. But somehow it is running smooth at this point in the tests. Keeping my fingers crossed. I ended up jumping to the 32gig kit since my original plan was to give the other one a shot then eventually get another one to go 32 but after searching for a solution on how to get it running I saw multiple posts about only buying a 32gig kit as a whole and not combining or you can run into issues. So it seems to be working out well in the end. Thanks guys for your help. I will report back after I can let it run memtest for several passes over night. 32GB sure does take a while to test

I have the Saber Kitty and there is a way to pull up the Dominator Platinum Memory profile that you can pull up in the Bios.

Go into advanced, and use D.O.C.P. mode. Select the memory speed (top one), instead of the usual suspects (example 1866) go all the way to the last available choice and you should see a with the Dominator Platinum Specs. Choose that one, and you should be able to get at 1866 without overclocking. I am currently overclocking 4 dims at 1840.

Good Luck,

Sea

Archived