Corsair Community

No go on first power up!

Darren K

Just finished building my new PC.

I powered on for the first time, but got a "No Signal" message from my monitor!

Plugged mouse and keyboard to USB ports but there wouldn't light up.

Everything seems connected correctly. :confused:

It won't even beep!

Any ideas, please help!

when you first insert the power cord and switch on the power supply, do the fans spin up briefly?

Yes the fans all spin and the mb ligts up, as do the front panel LEDs.

All I get is a "no signal" message on the monitor and the system won't even beep.

I have tried swapping a 2GB stick from A1 to B1 - no change/no warning beep.

I have tried swapping video cards - still ´same "no signal" message.

I even pressed the CMOS clear button on the back of the PC.

I'm getting very worried now! This setup cost me alot of money.

If both sticks inserted singly give the same result then you very likely have issues external to the DRAM. You need to perform a testbed analysis by process of isolation. You are certain you have inserted the four pin power plug as well as the 24pin power plug? If so, remove the video card and insert another one, PCI, or PCI-e for isolation purposes. If you do not have the components to perform test bed analysis, then you need to take the system to a tech shop and have them do so.

You will lose time here but don't be worried. You are under warranty for all your parts if you bought them from a reputable dealer.

Yes the fans all spin and the mb ligts up, as do the front panel LEDs.

All I get is a "no signal" message on the monitor and the system won't even beep.

I have tried swapping a 2GB stick from A1 to B1 - no change/no warning beep.

I have tried swapping video cards - still ´same "no signal" message.

I even pressed the CMOS clear button on the back of the PC.

I'm getting very worried now! This setup cost me alot of money.

If both sticks inserted singly give the same result then you very likely have issues external to the DRAM. You need to perform a testbed analysis by process of isolation. You are certain you have inserted the four pin power plug as well as the 24pin power plug? If so, remove the video card and insert another one, PCI, or PCI-e for isolation purposes. If you do not have the components to perform test bed analysis, then you need to take the system to a tech shop and have them do so.

You will lose time here but don't be worried. You are under warranty for all your parts if you bought them from a reputable dealer.

Thanks Derek for the reply.

I've attached the 24 pin power cable from the PSU to the MB.

What do you mean about the 4 pin plug and the 24 pin plug?

I have already tried another video card, without any luck.

I can see myself playing about with this for days without getting anywhere. So I'll probably take the computer to a shop somewhere for testing.

This is so typical...for some strange reason I knew I wouldn't even get as far as the BIOS screen!!

You will find a 4/8 pin power plugin by the PS2/USB connector. The 1000HX has an 8-pin plug that goes in there. Some PSU's only have a four pin. Is it connected?

http://www.corsair.com/_images/products/hx_pci-e_8-pin.jpg

I've only connected the 24 pin connector to the white connection inbetween the edge of the board and the memory inserts.

Do I have to connect this other connector you marked on the mother board aswell??

I've only connected the 24 pin connector to the white connection inbetween the edge of the board and the memory inserts.

Do I have to connect this other connector you marked on the mother board aswell??

Yes, you do or you will not gain a power up. Your CPU needs more juice. I believe you would be well served to read your motherboard manual carefully before you do something to damage your system.

Yes, you do or you will not gain a power up. Your CPU needs more juice. I believe you would be well served to read your motherboard manual carefully before you do something to damage your system.

LOL Don't I feel like the horse's ***!!

I was clearly confused over this :o:

I see that 4 of the holes on that connector have been closed off with a piece of plastic.

Do I use all 8 holes or just 4?

Thanks again for the help mate!

The closed holes are for the power supplies that have only a four pin connector. This is so the holes do not fill up with dust. You need to take the connector off and insert the 8pin plug.

LOL Don't I feel like the horse's ***!!

I was clearly confused over this :o:

I see that 4 of the holes on that connector have been closed off with a piece of plastic.

Do I use all 8 holes or just 4?

Thanks again for the help mate!

Thanks to Derek I was able to get to the BIOS screen without any further ado :o:

Now I can't install windows XP or Vista.

With vista I get as far as the screen where you choose which HD you want to install to. When I try to select a HD it says "Windows is unable to find a system volume that meets its criteria for installation"

I have two HDs installed and get the same problem with both.

I have done clean installs on my old PC numerous times with both XP and Vista without any hassle before, so I don't understand what is wrong.

Are the Drives SATA or IDE? Have you made BIOS changes? If so what are the changes made?

Thanks to Derek I was able to get to the BIOS screen without any further ado :o:

Now I can't install windows XP or Vista.

With vista I get as far as the screen where you choose which HD you want to install to. When I try to select a HD it says "Windows is unable to find a system volume that meets its criteria for installation"

I have two HDs installed and get the same problem with both.

I have done clean installs on my old PC numerous times with both XP and Vista without any hassle before, so I don't understand what is wrong.

Are the Drives SATA or IDE? Have you made BIOS changes? If so what are the changes made?

The drives are SATA.

The only change I have made in the BIOS is in the boot sequence, I have the system booting from the dvd drive so I can install a OS.

Is your HD detected and shown in the BIOS when you first POST the system?

What controller or header is it connected to?

Yes, the HDs are both detected by the BIOS.

Sorry I'm not sure what your last statement means.

I'm going to try having just the one HD connected and see if that helps.

Also I noticed the Plug 'N Play was disabled in the BIOS. Shouldn't this be turned on so the OS can install hardware?

Yes, the HDs are both detected by the BIOS.

Sorry I'm not sure what your last statement means.

I'm going to try having just the one HD connected and see if that helps.

Also I noticed the Plug 'N Play was disabled in the BIOS. Shouldn't this be turned on so the OS can install hardware?

I can't see that being the issue but I always have the Plug n Play enabled while installing a new system. Once accomplished, I set to disabled.

Be sure that you are setting the drives SATA Ports to SATA 1 & 2. You really need to read your manual.

I can't see that being the issue but I always have the Plug n Play enabled while installing a new system. Once accomplished, I set to disabled.

Be sure that you are setting the drives SATA Ports to SATA 1 & 2. You really need to read your manual.

I disconnected all but one HD and was able to install a OS without any problems in the end. The two drives were indeed set to ports 1&2, so I'm not sure what the problem was.

I know I was careless with not connecting both PSU cables, but I have bothered to read the manual. :cool:

Thanks for your help thus far anyway

Archived