Corsair Community

Commander Pro Dead USB Ports?

slinki

Hi All,

I have a Corsair H150i Pro water cooler. Up until today, I had it plugged into the USB 2.0 header directly on my motherboard. Everything seemed to work fine (apart from the general unreliability of iCue in general).

A few days ago I purchased the Commander Pro. I plugged the Commander Pro into my USB 2.0 header on my motherboard, then plugged the USB of the H150i Pro, into one of the USB headers on the Commander Pro.

Now, iCue cannot find the H150i Pro.

If I use a stand alone USB cable to plug my H150i Pro into the BACK of my PC, my H150i Pro springs to life. If I plug my H150i Pro directly into the motherboard (like it was before) it springs to life.

Can the both USB ports (I tried both) on my Commander Pro be dead?

From some quick googling it seems people have been having this issue since 2017!

Should I try and RMA it or what are my options?

Im using Corsair iCue version 3.28.70 and Im on the latest version of Windows 10 Pro 64 bit.

Thanks.

Check the header at the commander Pro is not too far to one side when plugged in. Yes there is a block on the header so you cannot go wrong, but the space actually allows for you to be too far over... Make sure the block is aligned with the space for the pin and not the space inside the header housing...

Hope that helps.

I'm honestly more surprised you didn't get two of the H150i to show up after doing that. Check to make sure all the connectors are firmly seated as well. If that doesn't help then I would remove it, reboot then let it load up. Shut it back down and then reconnect the H150i. If all else fails, save your profile and use Revo Uninstaller to uninstall and then start with a fresh install of ICUE.

It' very easy to miss the correct alignment when plugging USB headers into the CoPro. double check it.

Did you reinstall iCUE again after you added the CoPro?

Baio

Edited by Baio

Hi guys thanks for replies. The AIO USB connector is plugged into the Commander Pro correctly. These are the kinds of things I triple check before posting. This isnt my first build. And yes I reinstalled the iCue software, which changed absolutely nothing. Which honestly didnt surprise me as this appears to be a hardware issue.

I have worked around this issue by plugging the AIO into the rear of my PC with a regular USB lead, and just routing the cable through the back of the case, however this is not acceptable in the long run so Im going to contact Corsair support. I had hoped they might have responded officially to this thread but no dice.

In addition to this, simply having the Commander Pro plugged into my USB 2 header on my mobo is giving me frequent USB disconnection messages, and appears as "Unknown USB Device (Port Reset Failed)" in Device Manager. So its fair to say there is something seriously wrong with this Commander Pros USB ability.

Depending on what board you have there will be one USB header that gives more power than the other one. Some have an older USB header 2.0 and some are 3.0. Next would be using REVO Uninstaller to uninstall ICUE and then letting it do the registry clean by using advanced scanning.

Make sure you didn't bend a prong by accident. You can also use the same USB header for 2 devices if you come up short.

Still makes me scratch my head why Corsair only gives 2 USB ports on a device that they know every single hardware item they sell needs a USB port. If anything they should include a 1 USB to 6 USB splitter in the package as well.

Hi guys thanks for replies. The AIO USB connector is plugged into the Commander Pro correctly. These are the kinds of things I triple check before posting. This isnt my first build. And yes I reinstalled the iCue software, which changed absolutely nothing. Which honestly didnt surprise me as this appears to be a hardware issue.

I have worked around this issue by plugging the AIO into the rear of my PC with a regular USB lead, and just routing the cable through the back of the case, however this is not acceptable in the long run so Im going to contact Corsair support. I had hoped they might have responded officially to this thread but no dice.

In addition to this, simply having the Commander Pro plugged into my USB 2 header on my mobo is giving me frequent USB disconnection messages, and appears as "Unknown USB Device (Port Reset Failed)" in Device Manager. So its fair to say there is something seriously wrong with this Commander Pros USB ability.

I suspect your CoPro does not receive enough power to make USB ports work.

If the AIO works when plugged into a rear USB port of your motherboard, try the same with the CoPro to see if with this connection the AIO is recognized through the CoPro USB ports.

I've been lurking this Forum for ages and never read about a CoPro USB dead port (fan ports can die, that's not unusual). What brand/model of mobo are we talking about?

Other question: how do you power your CoPro? Directly from the PSU or with a SATA splitter? If it's the second, remove the splitter, usually they are poor quality stuff and can even burn components.

Final solution could be picking up a USB Hub (like the one from NZXT), I'm using one in my build as I ran out of USB connections.

Baio

• 3 weeks later...
I suspect your CoPro does not receive enough power to make USB ports work.

If the AIO works when plugged into a rear USB port of your motherboard, try the same with the CoPro to see if with this connection the AIO is recognized through the CoPro USB ports.

I've been lurking this Forum for ages and never read about a CoPro USB dead port (fan ports can die, that's not unusual). What brand/model of mobo are we talking about?

Other question: how do you power your CoPro? Directly from the PSU or with a SATA splitter? If it's the second, remove the splitter, usually they are poor quality stuff and can even burn components.

Final solution could be picking up a USB Hub (like the one from NZXT), I'm using one in my build as I ran out of USB connections.

Baio

Would you be able to recommend what cable I could use to plug the CoPro's motherboard header into the rear of my PC as suggested?

Let's park the idea of dead USB ports on the CoPro for a second. As I said, "Leaving aside the fact the AIO isnt picked up when plugged into the CoPros USB ports, simply plugging the CoPro into my USB header on my Mobo causes the "USB device" not recognised". This happens when nothing is plugged into the CoPro, so its not having to supply any power to anything else. It falls over doing absolutely nothing other than being plugged into where it should be plugged into.

However - if I plug in my 3 corsair ML fans, and my 4 corsair LED strips, the CoPro powers all of these flawlessly, all the while reporting a USB fault (and dead USB headers on CoPro) so what does that tell us? Ive no idea.

I dont use splitters.

My motherboard is the ROG STRIX Z390-F GAMING.

I still havent heard jack back from Corsair support, but I guess thats understandable due to coronavirus. I did expect limited capacity though, no absolutely zero. I would have thought helpdesk would be a department that could work remotely.

I've been lurking this Forum for ages and never read about a CoPro USB dead port (fan ports can die, that's not unusual).

Baio

https://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=170885

https://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=172992&t=172992

https://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=174620&page=2 (Talks about Ryzen systems but I have an i7 9700K)

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1075727-usb-20-internal-ports-and-commander-pro/

Took me 30 seconds of googling to find those. So i'm definitely not on my own here with Commander Pro USB issues.

• 1 month later...

Same here with CoPro and Lighting Node Core.

Tried 2 of them, LNCs; 1 from QL120s, 1 from QL140s

The LNCs both work and show in iCUE when connected directly to MoBo.

I have a B450 MoBo and that chipset seems to show up in a few other CoPro issue threads...