Corsair Community

Hot temperatures with H70

nitewulf

I'm running an overclocked i7 1965 EE (4009.1) on an Asus P6T with 12GBs of Corsair Dominator running at XMP settings and 1600. CPU voltage is 1.425, Dram Bus Voltage 1.64 and QPI/Dram Core Voltage 1.37500. The overclock is stable and passes all tests (IBT, Prime95, OCCT, Memtest86, etc) with no errors. The only problem is the temperatures. I was not overclocking when I replaced the stock Intel HSF with the H70 so I have nothing to compare it with. I have read posts on this and other forums that similar users of the Corsair H70 and 965 overclocked are getting 57-60 under load. My room is fairly warm this time of year, mid to upper 70's F. I've tried the fans in both intake and exhaust (absolutely no difference). I idle at 43-44 and just ran the normal 5-pass IBT and the 4 cores maxed at 78-81-76-79. Prime 95 (smallfft, 10 passes) results in max temp/s in the mid to upper 80's C. Fan-Q is disabled in the bios so the pump is running at 100%. HWM reports it is running at 1400-1430. I removed the cooler from the cpu, cleaned both and replaced the TIM with IC7, single line method. The cooler appears to be tight and I tightened it down as much as I could. No difference at all in the temperatures.I realize that in gaming my temp.'s will not approach anything like Prime95 and I should be ok, but just wondering if the cooler is working as it should. I realize too that I could just have a hot i7 965. I have the fans running at the lower speed with the resistor cables.

Any suggestions? Should I RMA the H70?

Give it a few days for the TIM to seat in and your temps should drop. I had the same issue with the 50. But after about a week the temps dropped a bunch. If after that time it still hasn't dropped reply back and see what RamGuy has to say

I'm running an overclocked i7 1965 EE (4009.1) on an Asus P6T with 12GBs of Corsair Dominator running at XMP settings and 1600. CPU voltage is 1.425, Dram Bus Voltage 1.64 and QPI/Dram Core Voltage 1.37500. The overclock is stable and passes all tests (IBT, Prime95, OCCT, Memtest86, etc) with no errors. The only problem is the temperatures. I was not overclocking when I replaced the stock Intel HSF with the H70 so I have nothing to compare it with. I have read posts on this and other forums that similar users of the Corsair H70 and 965 overclocked are getting 57-60 under load. My room is fairly warm this time of year, mid to upper 70's F. I've tried the fans in both intake and exhaust (absolutely no difference). I idle at 43-44 and just ran the normal 5-pass IBT and the 4 cores maxed at 78-81-76-79. Prime 95 (smallfft, 10 passes) results in max temp/s in the mid to upper 80's C. Fan-Q is disabled in the bios so the pump is running at 100%. HWM reports it is running at 1400-1430. I removed the cooler from the cpu, cleaned both and replaced the TIM with IC7, single line method. The cooler appears to be tight and I tightened it down as much as I could. No difference at all in the temperatures.I realize that in gaming my temp.'s will not approach anything like Prime95 and I should be ok, but just wondering if the cooler is working as it should. I realize too that I could just have a hot i7 965. I have the fans running at the lower speed with the resistor cables.

Any suggestions? Should I RMA the H70?

I have an i7-975 @ 4.223GHz in an Asus Rampage III Formula. I can't recall all of my voltages but the CPU is at 1.432v. My RAM is Dominator GT @ 1,877 and 1.65v. My idle temps. are in the 50 range. With Prime 95 they will plateau at about 90. In the real word (everyday use with Crysis, Mirror's Edge, most of the COD series, etc.), my maximum temps. are in the upper 60s to about 70. So I don't worry much about it. It seems our two H70s are working similarly.

Thanks, G50EED. I'm beginning to think now with the i7 965 voltages that I'm using, memory configuration, ambient room temperature, etc. that this is about as good as I am going to get. I have found several o/c forums that report this is "one hot chip" when overclocked above 4 GHz with the voltages cranked up. Unless I start having stability or throttle issues (which I do not) I'm going to just forget it.

Kind of discouraged. I reseated my H70 for yet the third time today using new MX4 that just arrived. It seems my temp's are now a couple of degrees warmer and MX4 requires no cure time. I tried the fans at 2000, but the whine and noise is just too much. I'm just wondering if I should just try to RMA the unit and if the replacement is no better try some other cooling method.

Thanks, G50EED. I'm beginning to think now with the i7 965 voltages that I'm using, memory configuration, ambient room temperature, etc. that this is about as good as I am going to get. I have found several o/c forums that report this is "one hot chip" when overclocked above 4 GHz with the voltages cranked up. Unless I start having stability or throttle issues (which I do not) I'm going to just forget it.

I can personally vouch that 965s are HOT. I barely got 4.3GHz - 4.4GHz using a single stage phase cooler.

I can personally vouch that 965s are HOT. I barely got 4.3GHz - 4.4GHz using a single stage phase cooler.

Yellowbeard, i can certainly understand that they run hot. What concerns me is whether or not my H70 is working properly. Others with the 965 o/c'd to 4GHz seem to be getting much better temperatures under load.

Check out this review I found of a motherboard. They're using your i7 965 similarly overclocked:

http://www.guru3d.com/article/asus-rampage-iii-black-edition-review/9

You will note their temperatures are just like yours (and mine with my i7 975). Realize they're not even testing inside a case but out in the open air. And their temps are still that high. I really think our H70s are working properly and as long as we're going to pump 1.4v into our CUPs, they're going to run as they are.

Just trying to help.

Check out this review I found of a motherboard. They're using your i7 965 similarly overclocked:

http://www.guru3d.com/article/asus-rampage-iii-black-edition-review/9

You will note their temperatures are just like yours (and mine with my i7 975). Realize they're not even testing inside a case but out in the open air. And their temps are still that high. I really think our H70s are working properly and as long as we're going to pump 1.4v into our CUPs, they're going to run as they are.

Just trying to help.

Thanks. I've realized after doing some research, that the i7 965s definitely run hot, especially over 1.4v. I'm just going to stop worrying about it.

Archived