Corsair Community

First build in 20 years - fan speed help

Tobar26th

So I’ve built my first machine in a couple of decades. Performance is excellent but I can’t help but fee it sounds a bit on the loud side compared to what I hoped.

I’m using a triple pack of SP120 RGB Pro (though only two are spinning so far as I only have two, four pin fan headers on my motherboard...suggestions on that please!)

What’s the best way to control my fans automatically? I fee I’ve just got everything running on full blast 1000+rpm constantly.

The motherboard is MSI® B450M PRO-VDH MAX I’d that helps?

You can buy PWM splitter cables, to plug two or more fans on one PWM header.

if you look on amazon, search for "pwm splitter', you'll find a bunch :)

For fan regulation, you can go in the BIOS and set a fan curve, to set at what RPM they should spin depending on the CPU temperature.

By default these are pretty steep and the fans will ramp up a lot, making the computer very noisy.

Depending on your motherboard brand, there may be a program to do it from windows too. Maybe an MSI owner would be able to help you with that.

Another solution is to install a Corsair Commander Pro, and manage your fans from within iCUE. It has 6 PWM ports, so plenty to work with

SP-Pro are 3 pin DC fans, so voltage controlled. Any motherboard these days likely has auto-detect for PWM vs DC, but sometimes it makes a mistake and applies one to the other. Try setting the headers connected to SP-Pro fans to "3 pin" or DC, however the BIOS labels it. Also, many CPU/OPT headers are PWM only. That may not be a good case control header anyway with fan behavior designed for CPU air coolers (fast, twitchy response).

SP-Pro are 3 pin DC fans, so voltage controlled. Any motherboard these days likely has auto-detect for PWM vs DC, but sometimes it makes a mistake and applies one to the other. Try setting the headers connected to SP-Pro fans to "3 pin" or DC, however the BIOS labels it. Also, many CPU/OPT headers are PWM only. That may not be a good case control header anyway with fan behavior designed for CPU air coolers (fast, twitchy response).

To be honest I’ve got my CPU header being used for my CPU’s default cooler anyway.

I've used both before and definately felt there was a difference. Used to have a 570x which comes with SP120 fans and ML140 + 120s in my 280x before I changed my Mobo und put in a waterloop. In the 570x noise from the case fans were always present over GPU and CPU cooler fans. But in the end of the day, it's still a subjective impression and fans aren't cheap.

Here's a little more detail on the different types of fans

https://forum.corsair.com/v3/showpost.php?p=938290&postcount=7