Corsair Community

Memtest Error - XMS2 TWIN2X2048-8500C5

Vargess

Hello,

I think I may be having a memory issue as of last night. I was playing CoD4 and a BSOD occured, stating a crash dump had been created and something about my memory, but it rebooted too fast to read it. I don't know where to find this file in Vista Premium?

Anyway, this morning I get up and it won't post. I have an EVGA 680i SLI Mobo (A1 version) with the P28? bios. Haven't updated because it's done what I wanted/needed with no problems. Anyway, after changing memory slots a few times with both sticks, I kept getting the C1 error on the board.

Initially, I had the 2 sticks in slots 0 and 1. I was finally able to get it to POST with them in 2 and 4, only after putting BOTH sticks in. My rig won't post with just one stick. I find that to be odd in itself..

Memtest says:

#1 Memory error detected! Pair 135522681 does not store data accurately.

the 2nd: Memory error detected! Copying between 813e979 and 813e94a did not result in accurate copy.

Can anyone give me any info as to whether this is my memory or even my motherboard? I think it's my memory, but I'm not 100% on that because I had to switch slots and use both to get it to post. Any help is appreciated! Thanks,

Vargess

• Corsair Employee
Please make sure that you have the latest BIOS for your motherboard and then load optimized defaults and set the Memory Voltage to 2.1 volts and then set the timings to 5-5-5-15 (CAS-tRCD-tRP-tRAS) and then test the modules one at a time with http://www.memtest.org! Please allow memtest to run 2-3 passes on each module. If you still get errors, we will be happy to replace them! However, if you get errors with both modules that would suggest some other problem and I would test them in another system or MB to be sure.

Only one of the modules is giving me errors. I can put both mods onto the board and it will boot up if I have the bad ram in the secondary slot, but not the main. It will even read that there is 2 gig. I run memtest on the good ram, 0 errors. On the bad ram, it won't even start. Just gives me those same or similar errors.

First corsair ram I've had go bad on me in probably 10 years :[pouts:

I submitted a request for an RMA.

I'm guessing since it's a matched pair I need to send both for best results?

What's the best shipping method?

Ya, if you bought them as a matched pair (twin set) then you should send both back to them. It not starting with that ram stick in bank 0 tells ya its bad. It starting in second is normal as it wont bsod etc till ram fills first bank of mem and move to the next, that can take a bit of data.

Glad you figured the problem out and I hope you have good luck with the rma and replacements!

Well, I have the RMA number and the memory is packed and ready to ship out, but I have reservations about the turn around time that I am hearing about for this particular memory.

I am not happy or appreciative hearing it will take a MONTH to get my memory replaced that I paid $300 US for. I could have bought 8 gig of cheaper stuff for this same amount, but I wanted the upper performance.

** I just got off the phone with the RMA department and they have confirmed it will be a month before they can send any out. Now I am extremely UNHAPPY. :mad:

What is the next upgrade from the 8500 series? Above Dominators, because they are having the same issues.

• Corsair Employee
What is the next upgrade from the 8500 series? Above Dominators, because they are having the same issues.

You would need to talk to our customer service about that sorry.

888-222-4346 or 510-657-8747 Ext "0".

At least they told you the truth, I called 1/09/2008 and I was told it would ship on 1/10/2008 & 1/14-1/15/2008 I would get it , it was not until today I found out that I was lied to. The ram is out of stock and Corsair has no idea when they will replace my ram. Goes to show you the customer service will tell you anything to make you happy, even if it's a lie.

As I said before, I will never buy corsair again.

Well, I have the RMA number and the memory is packed and ready to ship out, but I have reservations about the turn around time that I am hearing about for this particular memory.

I am not happy or appreciative hearing it will take a MONTH to get my memory replaced that I paid $300 US for. I could have bought 8 gig of cheaper stuff for this same amount, but I wanted the upper performance.

** I just got off the phone with the RMA department and they have confirmed it will be a month before they can send any out. Now I am extremely UNHAPPY. :mad:

• Corsair Employee
At least they told you the truth, I called 1/09/2008 and I was told it would ship on 1/10/2008 & 1/14-1/15/2008 I would get it , it was not until today I found out that I was lied to. The ram is out of stock and Corsair has no idea when they will replace my ram. Goes to show you the customer service will tell you anything to make you happy, even if it's a lie.

As I said before, I will never buy corsair again.

Please contact our customer service at 888-222-4346 and dial "0", (510) 657-8747 or email rmaservice@corsairmemory.com to see if there are any options available to speed up the RMA!

• 2 weeks later...

Curious..

When dealing with RMA's, how does Corsair equate the value of ram?

ie I purchased my ram at about $300, but now they sell for little over $100.

When insuring a shipment, how much should these be insured for? My original purchase or current value? how does Corsair compensate, for example, if the specific ram cannot be replaced with the same modules, but instead have to replaced with similar mods?

Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, just to update and let everyone know what they can expect..

Sent my ram in on the 5th of Feb. Notified recieved on the 8th, and they are shipping out on the 15th. Decent turn around time. :):

Ram Guy, I just have one question.. In the email I recieved, it states I am getting back 8500C5 "G".

What does the G mean in that description? I am assuming a series of some sort, but the pair I sent in didn't have any designation like so.

Thanks.

Well, I got my memory in today. It's loads up fine, but stock speed is 800..

I paid the extra for the 1066 ram, not the 800. And yes, I know it's the same thing, just overclocked out of the factory.

I clocked it up to 1066, but I got 2 BSOD's for it.

I feel cheated.:sigh!:

• Corsair Employee
The fastest spec that is recognized by JEDEC for DDR2 memory is 800MHz, 5-5-5-18, at 1.8 volts. All of our memory that is tested more aggressively than these settings have their SPD programmed to boot at these values, and it is to ensure maximum compatibility across all motherboards. The tested settings will need to be set manually and for your modules they should be 1066MHz, 5-5-5-15 at 2.1-2.2v. Test them one at a time at this spec, and if you are still having failures then we will get them replaced ASAP.

Archived