Corsair Community

i200 and fan curve

christoph70

Since two weeks I'm owning a i200 and it's a fantastic machine with some problems with cooling of the CPU not obvious until you dig deeper into how it works. Here are my findings:

1) GPU cooling is perfect, never exceeds 66c (54c coolant) under 100% Furmark load with full system fan and GPU fan, but makes coil whine (which seems to got better over the last days ... let's hope). For the rest of the tests GPU is idle.

2) System fan curve says zero fan below 50c coolant temperature for CPU. This means your system slowly heats up until 57c idle CPU package (53c coolant) and ~400 RPM system fan, where it seems to stabilize. Isn't this too much?

3) If you go from 2) to full load with Prime95 CPU heats up to ~90c and coolant to 60c in few minutes (fan at max only at 58c coolant according to default curve) ... triggering blinking RED of overheating.

4) Using full speed fan custom setting for some time brings down temps to <40c CPU. Custom fan at 55% stabilize the system idle round ~43c CPU, 38c coolant. This is my new default.

5) Going from 4) full fan speed and Prime95 test it heats up much slower, but eventually reaches overheating (>60c coolant) again, it does not stabilize before overheating with full fan.

6) When outside Windows, e.g. in bios setup, or not logged in, the system fan doesn't seem to work at all. I stopped testing when my CPU temp in bios reached 70c without fan starting.

For me this looks like the cooling for GPU is fine, the one for CPU is undersized for the CPU built into the i200. Any comments?

Update:

I was able to get my setup stable at 58c coolant under full load with lower ambient temperatures, so I'm less concerned about this now. The default 55% setting for the fan (which falls back to default curve if higher) works very well.

However the main remaining issue is, that the fan curve is not working until you are logged into windows and iCUE is started for your user (verified also by setting a custom color).

Is there anything which can be done to it, at least that iCUE settings are applied directly after boot?

TLDR - iCUE is probably setting the fan speed to 0 RPM, therefore triggering thermal protection. Only Corsair is allowed to cook you computer by modifying fan profiles.

I ran into this issue recently with my a100.

Looking into the logs, I could see at some point it decided that for the default fan profile, it would set a 0 RPM fan speed for ALL coolant temps.

This would lead the system to trigger thermal protection at 60c coolant temps, and ramp the fan up to 100% until the coolant hit 59.9c. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling different versions of iCUE and it didn't help. I ended up setting it to 'Extreme' which is a fixed 100% fan speed

I asked support if I could add my own fan profiles to iCUE, and they said no because of warranty purposes. When I asked how do I fix the default profile... they said to reset the CMOS with a button that doesn't exist on this model.

I updated to iCUE v 3.31.81 today, and the logs are now showing a reasonable fan curve for the default profile