Corsair Community

Are the temps decieving me?

MakeVio

Hi. I have an h115i Pro cooler on my 8700k. However, in Speccy, it's showing my temp at 63c, but in Cue, it shows 33c. Now usually I wouldn't mind if there was a minor difference, but this is huge in my opinion.. And I have the pump in the settings set to extreme if that helps.

Which temperature is showing 63/33?

Thank you for responding! Speccy is showing ~60c and I downloaded HWMonitor as well and it seems to report what speccy is showing. I can provide screenshots if need be. Cue is the only one reporting back at such a low degree. Even HWMonitor shows all core's at their temps and not even one is remotely close to ~30c

Still not 100% sure which values you are referring to. However, the only temperature shown in your iCUE screen shot is the coolant temperature to the right of the pump image (Temp 1 which is normally referred to as H115i PRO TEMP). That is the standard control variable for your fans. It is not a value most other monitoring tools can pick up and it is certainly not the same as CPU temp or any of the core temps you see in Speecy or HWMonitor.

The coolant serves as the waste dump and transport for heat coming off the CPU. It's temperature will rise with continued CPU activity, but it is slow to change in a healthy system and you are unlikely to see a change of more than +6C or so. That does not mean the system is not working and on any modern CPU, the limitation in performance will be voltage. The heat still has to pass through the CPU from pin side where it is created to exit through the lid, TIM, and then cold plate on the pump.

At idle with minimal voltage, your coolant temp cannot be lower than the general case temperature. You will most often see the H115i Temp and your motherboard temp sensor hang together and this is a decent approximation of the case temperature.

The temps aren't deceiving you; you aren't properly interpreting what you are looking at.

As c-attack mentioned, the screen shot from iCue shows your coolant temperature.

And your temps from HWMonitor don't look out of whack. What you aren't showing there is the vCore and that's pretty important to understanding your temperatures. Finally, temperatures change rapidly with current CPUs. You can vary 10-20C in under a second. So two different tools polling at slightly different times - at the microsecond level - can show very different temperatures. That's normal.

Not sure why you have the fans on full ... but whatever. That's your choice.

Still not 100% sure which values you are referring to. However, the only temperature shown in your iCUE screen shot is the coolant temperature to the right of the pump image (Temp 1 which is normally referred to as H115i PRO TEMP). That is the standard control variable for your fans. It is not a value most other monitoring tools can pick up and it is certainly not the same as CPU temp or any of the core temps you see in Speecy or HWMonitor.

The coolant serves as the waste dump and transport for heat coming off the CPU. It's temperature will rise with continued CPU activity, but it is slow to change in a healthy system and you are unlikely to see a change of more than +6C or so. That does not mean the system is not working and on any modern CPU, the limitation in performance will be voltage. The heat still has to pass through the CPU from pin side where it is created to exit through the lid, TIM, and then cold plate on the pump.

At idle with minimal voltage, your coolant temp cannot be lower than the general case temperature. You will most often see the H115i Temp and your motherboard temp sensor hang together and this is a decent approximation of the case temperature.

So then the temps I am seeing as normal, ~60c is that normal for having the h115ipro?

So then the temps I am seeing as normal, ~60c is that normal for having the h115ipro?

It'll depend on your vCore, which you aren't showing.

But yes ... it's not uncommon for it to get blips. The only way that you'll get lower than that consistently is if you delid. Focus more on your average temperatures and make sure your max doesn't go over 80 or so.

That depends on what you were doing at the time, put given the apparent Vcore of ~1.33 I would say low 60s is pretty good on a non-delidded 8700K. At that voltage, you can have an ocean sized reservoir and industrial radiator and it won't make much difference in the end CPU temps. The limitation is at the CPU. On the positive side, with a 280mm you can let your fans run slow and still get good cooling.

Archived