Corsair Community

Corsair Commander With Hydro Series Coolers

Nostalgist92

I've noticed a lot of threads around on the net where people have been complaining that their H80i/100i Coolers aren't working when using the Corsair Commander.

Recently resolved a personal friends issue where his H100i would rarely be detected by the Corsair Link software. His boot times were also affected (9-10 second boot to over 2 minutes).

The Corsair pumps have 2 ports in the side. One small one to go to the Commander and another that plugs directly into a motherboard USB header.

We had updated the firmware on the H100i. To do this you're asked to make sure the USB header is plugged in but not the Corsair Link cable.

Before and after the firmware had been updated my friend was getting terrible boot times and crazy issues with the Corsair Link software.

The fix was so simple yet so easy to overlook. I unplugged the cable that was connected to the motherboards USB header but left the Corsair Link cable connected to the Commander and voila. Everything came good after a restart or 2.

I can't remember off the top of my head whether or not Corsair tells you to make sure the cable to the USB header is unplugged when using the H80i/H100i with the Corsair Commander, I only ever remember reading that to update the firmware on the Hydro coolers, the USB header needed to be plugged in but the Corsair Link cable had to be unplugged.

Hope this in some way helps others that are having any kind of similar issue.

Thank you My friend All is well the commander is now doing what it should thanks to you!

Cant believe one lousy cable could cause all that heart ache.

I had to order this directly from corsair as no retailer in Australia had this item in stock when it arrived there were no instructions in the box why? Come on corsair put better instructions in the box YOU REALLY DROPPED THE BALL HERE GUYS!

I really hope this helps some of you

best regards

The fix was so simple yet so easy to overlook. I unplugged the cable that was connected to the motherboards USB header but left the Corsair Link cable connected to the Commander and voila. Everything came good after a restart or 2

But you do have the commander connected to the MB somewhere don't you? Unplugging the USB connection cuts all communications between the two units.

I can't remember off the top of my head whether or not Corsair tells you to make sure the cable to the USB header is unplugged when using the H80i/H100i with the Corsair Commander,

No they do not, and it shouldn't need be. Although, In the event your using multiple LINK devices, only one needs to be connected to a USB header. In your case with the commander unit, you should have a data cable from the cooler to the commander. And the commander should have it's own USB connection.

Just looking for some clarification on your cables because if you don't have at least one unit or the other connected to USB then your not getting any communication between the units. That could potentially just create more problems for someone else reading this thread. Not to mention there would be no way for LINK to communicate to the software.

From everything I have seen on the support forum you can only update the firmware on the H100I if it is connected via a USB header, not via the link commander.

I would love to be wrong as one of the reasons I bought the link commander was to save on USB header usage.

But as it seems with all Corsair products there is no decent documentation to rely on.

From everything I have seen on the support forum you can only update the firmware on the H100I if it is connected via a USB header, not via the link commander.

I would love to be wrong as one of the reasons I bought the link commander was to save on USB header usage.

But as it seems with all Corsair products there is no decent documentation to rely on.

your correct,it cant be updated if connected to the lc,it needs to be usb connected

I have noted on several posts that that IC2 cable and the USB Cable cannot be connected at the same time. But you are correct this should be mentioned in the manual...

Well, you can have the USB and C-Link connected at the same time, but the C-Link on the H80i should never be connected directly to the USB Commander when also connected via USB; that will confuse the heck out of the H80i and Corsair Link.

Use cases for the C-Link port on H80i and H100i:

* Daisey-chaining two H80i units with a single USB header

* Connecting AX power supply without a USB Commander

A proper manual would have been nice, but que sera, sera.

Archived