Corsair Community

Yen another BRICKED drive

MJK

Hi,

my f240 yesterday just turned into BRICK with no help from my side whatsoever... I left my Win7 machine working and 10 min later it was waiting at BIOS boot screen saying "no boot device" !!!!

and now it is NOT working even in external USB enclosure!

the drive is (or, at least was... ) firmware 2.0 from factory.

I am sorry to say but it seems these drives are EXTREMELY UNRELIABLE, they work 1-2 weeks with increasing amount of problems... and boom it's gone.

Corsair, I need to access some files present over there, how can I do that?

nope

I will try to do that, but for now this #$#$# drive remains undetected even in external (USB) box, which was working perfectly well previously with same ssd!

(and yes, I have checked the cables... ;)

I am really afraid it is BRICK now and I still need to grab some files from it!

Yep I have had both a P3 128 and F120 both gone way of the RMA. I thought by purchasing non mechanical drives (SSD) they would be more reliable seeing they have no moving parts. Wrong big time. I have had dozens of mechanical hard drives over the years and had about 2-3 fail me. Many drives with over 5 years of use and only replaced because of size issues. IMO, SSD drives are very unreliable and cost a lot.

Yep I have had both a P3 128 and F120 both gone way of the RMA. I thought by purchasing non mechanical drives (SSD) they would be more reliable seeing they have no moving parts. Wrong big time. I have had dozens of mechanical hard drives over the years and had about 2-3 fail me. Many drives with over 5 years of use and only replaced because of size issues. IMO, SSD drives are very unreliable and cost a lot.

I agree!

SSD at its current format will NEVER replace HDD. It's simply not reliable enough, it's a volatile memory and LOSES the data NO MATTER WHAT!

The other HUGE ISSUE is Data loss! IF you drive died, ALL YOUR DATA IS GONE (specifally if it's encrypted)! That's it! With physical drive, even if it physically was damaged, your data is STILL STORED and can be retrieved (at a cost).

50nm had 10,000 write cycles, 34nm SSD has 5000 write cycles, and the *NEW* 25nm SSD has ONLY 3000 write cycles, meaning after NAND is written 3000 times it loses charge, i.e. dead! So, all of this non-sense going to smaller die, etc... is to just drive costs down at expense of reliability. All the controllers just use TRICKS to make it look reliable. For instance, they dedicate some part of the NAND as reserve so as soon as the other NAND part died will move the data over.

In general, I think I will NOT trust SSD with my data, I would use one as boot drive along with an HDD, or in a laptop that is backed up EVERYDAY. Otherwise, it's totally not worth the risk.

IMO I don't think SSD are really designed for data storage. For long-term storage that's what we have the higher capacity (and better GB/$ ratio) HDD mechanical drives for.

SSD obliterate these drives in performance though, so they are excellent for expendable data (eg. a barebone OS or temporary location for working files when there is a high disk I/O intensity program)

Archived