Corsair Community

HG10 N980 & N970 Thread - Post Issues Here

TheDudeLasse

• Replies 928
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A never-ending pushed back release date and now a price hike? This is bull**** Corsair.

My thoughts exactly, a big fcuk you to Corsair.

I wish I could return the AIO cooler I bought for this thinking it would be released this year, but way past return policy at this point. Good customer support would be for them to buy it back, then I can go on without ever buying a Corsair product again.

If Evga had included the blower fan, I would have bought that kit months ago to go with my Evga card. Its to bad

Actually, I installed the EVGA kit on my friends card. As long as you have a reference card and not the ACX2.0, you reuse the existing blower. Not only that, with the EVGA kit, the shroud actually covers the entire card and cooling block. Meaning, the exhaust fan for the VRAM actually exhausts out the back of the chassis. As far as I know, the Corsair kit doesn't have a shroud that goes over the top to cover the whole card and cooling block, so the VRAM exhaust dumps into the chassis.

Can someone confirm?

Actually, I installed the EVGA kit on my friends card. As long as you have a reference card and not the ACX2.0, you reuse the existing blower. Not only that, with the EVGA kit, the shroud actually covers the entire card and cooling block. Meaning, the exhaust fan for the VRAM actually exhausts out the back of the chassis. As far as I know, the Corsair kit doesn't have a shroud that goes over the top to cover the whole card and cooling block, so the VRAM exhaust dumps into the chassis.

Can someone confirm?

Thats the problem, Ive got that acx which is also a reference card but doesnt have the blower cooler so I would have to find one somewhere

Thats the problem, Ive got that acx which is also a reference card but doesnt have the blower cooler so I would have to find one somewhere

I have the 980 Ti ACX 2.0+ reference clocked card too (managed to get it to 1530MHz @ 1.25v with a custom BIOS, hoping for 1600+MHz @ 1.28v with either the HG10 N980 + H80i/H75/H90 or the hybrid kit). I'm keeping an eye on eBay for any Nvidia reference cooler to pop up... just want that little fan lol.

It is only the blower fan and the 3 little screws I would need, right?

The problem with the EVGA cooler is that the radiator is too small. And that the cooler head is special-designed (instead of designing a bracket), so the EVGA bracket cannot be used with an h100i GTX.

So its much better to wait for the HG10 N980. Then you people with really large chassis can put a h110i GT/GTX on the GPU, and those with a bit smaller, can use h100i GTX. And even the h80i GT is better than the cooler that comes with the EVGA hybrid, since the h80i has a thicker radiator, giving more Surface cooling area.

And anything you will miss with the EVGA is Corsair Link. It will be very nice when my HG10 N980 arrives, when I will be able to monitor liquid temps and such even on the GPU.

And still no update on a release date from corsair?... Are we to assume that the idea has been shelved?

Well, we did have this a few days ago.

The N980 absolutely is happening. We have prototypes (and have had prototypes of varying quality) in house for a while now. The N970 is already shipping, N980 will not be far behind.

Will believe it when I see it.

Right?

Its a sad thing when info for a release date comes from a consumer rather then the company itself. The last date they gave was in sept and here we are in mid October will still no cooler or update from corsair

• Corsair Employee
Now my local shop got a new date:

2015-10-23

http://www.inet.se/produkt/5322438/corsair-hydro-hg10-coolingbracket-n980-edition

So the release is very near. Just 1.5 week left.

I have no idea where your shop got this date.

I do know they're having inexplicable yield issues with the N980, and unfortunately it may continue to be delayed.

You guys are being overly negative here.

I'm guessing none of you have experience in either product development or manufacturing.

With something like this it is easy for a small manufacturing problem to derail a project for several months, even in a world class organization.

They originally stated available in August, in their press release. They've only passed that launch date by 43 days. If they turn around and launch by October 23rd as suggested above, that is still a very MINOR delay.

Manufacturing operations don't happen overnight. Lets say - for instance - their vendor had a problem with a die used in the metal stamping process for the housing (I just made this up, I have no idea what is going on), and this wasn't discovered until launch quantities were delivered for final assembly. Let's also assume the stamping vendor doesn't have in house die machining. First they'd have to send it out to be fixed at an external machining house. Then it would need to be brought back in inspected to make sure all the dimensions are right. it might even need some sort of special coating, in which case it gets sent to a coating house, and then comes back in again, and is reinspected for dimensions and coating quality.

Now it needs to be installed in the stamping presses, and tested so there are no problems. There may even be process validation, in which case a procedure is drafted, gets passed around, is approved by the customer, quality engineer, manufacturing manager, manufacturing engineer, etc. etc. Once the protocol is approved, it has to be executed on the production floor. Test samples are collected during the validation run, and are then then measured/tested to make sure they are within specifications. Then all the results are documented in a validation result. Statistical analysis is performed on the parts to make sure that the process isn't going to produce junk.

Now a run chart system might be set up to keep control of process drift, etc. etc.

The stamped metal parts are probably powder coated, and painted with a logo. You'd want to get some of your new parts out to your powder coater, to make sure the painting operation still works as planned with the new parts.

Keep in mind, the production process is likely a shared one. So every time they need to run a test, or set something up on the equipment with the new die, they need to stop other production, so scheduling these tests into idle production times, likely adds time too. Also keep in mind that it is likely not th eonly project for whomever is writing the validation protocols and reports, and the production managers, quality engineers, manufacturing engineers, etc. They all probably have a pile of these documents on their desks awaiting their review, (or generation). If there are 5 approvers for a document, it might sit on each of their desks for 3 or 4 days before they get to even review it, and then they might have comments they need incorporated, in which case the review process needs to start over, to make sure nothing that was added is a problem to anyone else.

Once all this testing is done, and the validation report has been reviewed and approved by all stakeholders (some of whom are probably rejecting it, and sending it back for updates, improvements, etc. to make sure it is right), now they can start building launch quantity, which takes some time too.

Something like this could take many months, depending on the complexity of the part, and the level of quality requirements. And this example was for a relatively small problem. What if they discover they have a problem vendor and need to find a new one on short notice? That would cause even more of a delay.

Now the HG10's are neither brain surgery nor rocket science, but there are some delicate tolerances involved so people don't crush their GPU cores or over-flex their boards during install, and Corsair doesn't want a rash of "My HG10 destroyed my video card" complaints, so they are likely going to inspect and test these parts more carefully than you would a typical consumer part.

Also, consider that the business climate we are in means that these things are probably manufactured in China. So, US workday ends, Chinese work day begins. Chinese plant finds a problem, emails US customer. US customer doesn't see email until next business day. US customer responds to email. Chinese manufacturer doesn't see it until next business day. Rinse and repeat. It can take several days just to solve a relatively minor problem due to the time zone differences.

Another part of manufacturing in China (which is necessary, unless you want $300 HG10's, by the way) is that while remarkably good at turning around and delivering large quantities of manufactured goods at low cost, they aren't necessarily reliable. They can be, if you are Apple or Samsung and go to Foxconn, but if you are spending less money, producing smaller volumes, you are probably not hiring Foxconn. Companies can disappear and reappear overnight, or just not deliver on time, or deliver crap that needs to be returned or scrapped.

A third part of dealing with manufacturing in China is the shipping time. Air freight can be reasonable in time, but expensive, and there is no guarantee how fast something is going to get through customs. It may take a week or more. If instead you use typical freight (hiring container, or space in a container and shipping via sea) we are probably talking 3-4 weeks door to door, once customs are accounted for JUST FOR THE SHIPPING.

A couple of month delay due to a late phase manufacturing problem is well within expectations for something like this, and might actually be considered quite an impressive recovery.

All that being said, the part I think that is a little annoying is that no one from Corsair has drawn a line in the sand and said Date X is it. We will have recovered from these problems, and will launch at that time, 100% guaranteed.

On the other hand I realize I say this as a customer. If I put my manufacturer hat on for a second, you can't run your business by divulging everything internal to the outside.

The forum rumor mill, combined with the presumably little the Corsair forum reps are allowed to divulge on here is leading you guys to become very very negative and and ridiculously impatient in a hurry. it's kind of silly.

Take a chill pill, relax. Even if the delay goes on all the way until Christmas (which I doubt it will) it still won't kill you. It's just a GPU cooler. Your GPU came with one that will work just fine (albeit noisier, and with less overclocking) and support your gaming desires until you get it. And even if your computer wouldn't work without the cooler, is a couple of months without playing a silly game really going to hurt that much?

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy a good game as much as the next guy, but take the opportunity to go outside, see your friends, go dancing, watch a movie or something else instead :p

the vitriol is simply uncalled for. No company owes you a product by any particular date. They made a press release that said they'd launch by end of August, and they probably intended to do so. **** happens, and now they are 5 weeks delayed. No big deal.

Edited by mattlach

I have no idea where your shop got this date.

I do know they're having inexplicable yield issues with the N980, and unfortunately it may continue to be delayed.

Well thats not a date but answers the question well enough, time to go a different direction....

What technological advances will bring the n980 compare to the n970. Cause it seems like impossible task to manufacture n980.

What a name for a brand, who cant measure and drill wholes to piece of metal :D

Im going different directon too, waste of time ....

Holy wall of text.

TLDR; we are the consumer. That is Corsair's problem, it is not our problem. Nor do we, or should we, give a siht.

Exactly! It's not like Corsair haven't already produced 4 GPU brackets including the one for the Hydro GFX... which is essentially a 980 Ti with a slightly differently designed HG10 N980 slapped on (which seems like a bit of a slap in the face to be fair). In 2015, it seems to be completely unreasonable to want to give a company your money.

TLDR; if they can't be bothered to produce a ridiculously simple bracket, then I can't be bothered giving them my money, essentially. I'll produce my own.

Exactly! It's not like Corsair haven't already produced 4 GPU brackets including the one for the Hydro GFX... which is essentially a 980 Ti with a slightly differently designed HG10 N980 slapped on (which seems like a bit of a slap in the face to be fair). In 2015, it seems to be completely unreasonable to want to give a company your money.

TLDR; if they can't be bothered to produce a ridiculously simple bracket, then I can't be bothered giving them my money, essentially. I'll produce my own.

Makes me wonder if they have the product complete but want to send as many to msi for that card first to make as much as they can and arent very worried about the customer base

Holy wall of text.

TLDR; we are the consumer. That is Corsair's problem, it is not our problem. Nor do we, or should we, give a siht.

You don't need to worry about the details, that is true.

Corsair has someone on that.

(Or if they are organized like most places, they have a cross-functional team on that, with a project manager, an R&D engineer, someone representing manufacturing/supplier management, etc. etc.)

All you need to do is be aware that these things take time.

Throwing a temper tantrum on a public forum because a product you want is 5 weeks late, just makes you look kind of juvenile IMHO :p

It would be one thing if you'd paid for it already, but you haven't been promised anything.

Makes me wonder if they have the product complete but want to send as many to msi for that card first to make as much as they can and arent very worried about the customer base

They are of a different design. It's pretty apparent from the publicity pictures.