Corsair Community

HG10 N980 & N970 Thread - Post Issues Here

TheDudeLasse

where are you located? I'm in southern cali, and I know corsair is in northern cali (Fremont) probably corporate/wharehouse too. yep tracking has the package in my area waiting for Mondays delivery, I chose ups ground and somehow it said two day air when it shipped.

I am located in North Carolina. It still should not take 5 days to ship my order. I even paid $16 extra for the faster delivery.

• Replies 928
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No wrong doing on Corsair's part, but USPS is taking forever to get the package to me.

Ordered on 28th shipped 29th on Priority 2 day, was scheduled to arrive Saturday the 31st, shows it's in town, today says it will arrive tomorrow.

It feels like I'll never get my hand on the n980, lol. I've waited for a while I can wait one more day.

So ready to get this installed already.

I am located in North Carolina. It still should not take 5 days to ship my order. I even paid $16 extra for the faster delivery.

I ordered mine on the Oct 28th, shipped the Oct 30th, and is schedule to arrive today (11/2). I live in Maine for reference.

I ordered mine on the Oct 28th, shipped the Oct 30th, and is schedule to arrive today (11/2). I live in Maine for reference.

According to email/tracking data:

Ordered: 6:01pm EST Oct 28th

Listed as shipped: 7:58pm EST Oct 28th

Departure scan San Pablo, CA 4:33AM Oct 29th

Estimated arrival in Boston area: Wednesday Oct 4th by 8pm.

Sounds like UsableGamer07 experienced some sort of hiccup. Hopefully they will figure it out for you quickly. I know what it is like to sit waiting...

Got a surprise at work today! It's on after work today. Will post before and after temps of card as well as vram on the top of the Titan X. Excited!

attachment.php?attachmentid=23223&d=1446499939

I'm envious. Looking forward to your numbers.

Dustin: Might be a good time to remove "release date?" part from the title of this thread.

--*IMPORTANT*--

Make sure you guys are VERY careful if you use the standoffs for most of the coolers. I managed to snap the threads off one of mine : ( . Currently attempting to see if I can get replacement standoffs shipped, but Corsair's support site doesn't list the HG10 N980 as a part yet. I'll have to explore other venues to get the parts.

Also, note the location of the USB port on the pump BEFORE mounting it. I mounted it backwards and ended up needing to take it back off, clean off the already smudged / streaked thermal paste, and reapply new...at least I had Arctic Silver 5 for spare.

Meanwhile...I have to wait for spare parts.

what exactly did you snap. If you post a pic ive seen several fixes of all kinds which could get you back up and running in no time. Stand offs are pretty simple using hollow rigid tubing of some type, pen shafts ive seen used, stacked rubber washers, beads are great as they have a small hollow opening and non conductive and come in all shapes and sizes.

There is also waiting for official parts though :)

what exactly did you snap. If you post a pic ive seen several fixes of all kinds which could get you back up and running in no time. Stand offs are pretty simple using hollow rigid tubing of some type, pen shafts ive seen used, stacked rubber washers, beads are great as they have a small hollow opening and non conductive and come in all shapes and sizes.

There is also waiting for official parts though :)

It was basically a spacer standoff. Threads into the post and the top has more threads for the actual lockdown screw for the pump. I was going to attempt to make it work with something I had, but, the biggest problem is the threads are not standard and are really small. I didn't have anything that small, thread wise, that would be long enough to add a hollow tube to. Rather than break something or engineer my own fix. I'll see what Corsair can do for me with a few 5 cent screws.

Received two HG10-980's today and attempted to install them with H55 coolers. However, I am hesitant to proceed due to a potential issue with the standoff screws: It became immediately apparent after securing the pump/bracket thumbscrews that the PCB had become deformed to a significant degree. In fact, as soon as any pressure is applied to the pump the board will start to bend around the GPU.

I believe the standoff screws included with these HG10's are simply too short. What's more is that the diagram of the screw in the user manual would appear different and longer as well.

Having been waiting on these cooling brackets for a very long time it's even more frustrating to run into technical problems now.

I also snapped one of the standoff screws. I changed brackets to the AMD and was able to use a washer and standoff that came with the h75.

I don't think it'll work though because it idles at 32 degrees, but any load on the gpu and it shoots up in temperature up to 85. I don't think the cooler is sitting flush, and I think I might need to repaste because the paste on the h75 smeared when I snapped the standoff screw.

I will need to get a replacement standoff as well.

It was a pain to put in and will be a pain to take out to fix.\

The gpu board is also bending a bit.

attachment.php?attachmentid=23226&stc=1&d=1446527534

20151102_225401_HDR.thumb.jpg.40071f5a95e9647d60d58faa0c52870d.jpg

Edited by 2002whitegt

lol, I changed the fans on my 980 ti hybrid kit to a pair of corsair sp120's (push/pull), plugged in to my mb and set at 75%, and my temps under load are now 41C. I challenge anyone with an hg10 980 to beat that. That is with it running at 1.23V and 1400MHz core for everyday use. I also leave the reference fan at 45% (2,150rpm) blowing the air out the back of my case (as the shroud is complete, unlike this open one) to keep the VRMs and RAM chips cool using the original reference heat plate.

lol, I changed the fans on my 980 ti hybrid kit to a pair of corsair sp120's (push/pull), plugged in to my mb and set at 75%, and my temps under load are now 41C. I challenge anyone with an hg10 980 to beat that. That is with it running at 1.23V and 1400MHz core for everyday use. I also leave the reference fan at 45% (2,150rpm) blowing the air out the back of my case (as the shroud is complete, unlike this open one) to keep the VRMs and RAM chips cool using the original reference heat plate.

Challenge accepted! What's your ambient temp and ASIC score?

Received two HG10-980's today and attempted to install them with H55 coolers. However, I am hesitant to proceed due to a potential issue with the standoff screws: It became immediately apparent after securing the pump/bracket thumbscrews that the PCB had become deformed to a significant degree. In fact, as soon as any pressure is applied to the pump the board will start to bend around the GPU.

I believe the standoff screws included with these HG10's are simply too short. What's more is that the diagram of the screw in the user manual would appear different and longer as well.

Having been waiting on these cooling brackets for a very long time it's even more frustrating to run into technical problems now.

I found mine to be too tall. I need to get new ones, as I snapped one of them, but my suspicion is that they are too tall. I had the cooler completely installed and tested at one point and I was getting temps higher than with the stock cooler. Checked the pump and found that it wasn't even touching the die. Tried the cooler without the standoffs and I couldn't secure it. Seems the better way to secure the pump would have been directly to the card instead of a bracket fixed to the card, but that would eliminate the Hydro Series as being compatible.

Hopefully this isn't a common theme.

I also snapped one of the standoff screws. I changed brackets to the AMD and was able to use a washer and standoff that came with the h75.

I don't think it'll work though because it idles at 32 degrees, but any load on the gpu and it shoots up in temperature up to 85. I don't think the cooler is sitting flush, and I think I might need to repaste because the paste on the h75 smeared when I snapped the standoff screw.

I will need to get a replacement standoff as well.

It was a pain to put in and will be a pain to take out to fix.\

The gpu board is also bending a bit.

There are 2 holes on the side of the bracket. Before you take it apart, look through those holes at the die. When I did with mine, I could actually see the thermal paste between the die and pump, showing that the pump wasn't actually touching the die. I have an idea that this was the engineering issue they ran into. It's very hard to apply consistant pressure across the entire die when the pump isn't directly mounted to the card, rather, it's mounted to a bracket mounted to a card. This is why every cooler you find, whether GPU or CPU mounts directly to the board the CPU/GPU is mounted on.

I have a feeling Corsair may end up running into a lot of RMA issues on this one :sigh!:

There are 2 holes on the side of the bracket. Before you take it apart, look through those holes at the die. When I did with mine, I could actually see the thermal paste between the die and pump, showing that the pump wasn't actually touching the die. I have an idea that this was the engineering issue they ran into. It's very hard to apply consistant pressure across the entire die when the pump isn't directly mounted to the card, rather, it's mounted to a bracket mounted to a card. This is why every cooler you find, whether GPU or CPU mounts directly to the board the CPU/GPU is mounted on.

I have a feeling Corsair may end up running into a lot of RMA issues on this one :sigh!:

makes me reallyyyyy feel like cancelling my amazon order :(

I'll take a look after work, but something is obviously wrong because the temps are shooting up as soon as a load is put on the gpu.

The standoffs are also going to be a problem for many people I think. I'm afraid of removing and tightening them again because they can snap with little force, leaving the broken screw inside the bracket.

It's been a disappointing experience so far, and added to that fact is that my thousand dollar graphics card is in the balance.

--*IMPORTANT*--

Make sure you guys are VERY careful if you use the standoffs for most of the coolers. I managed to snap the threads off one of mine : ( . Currently attempting to see if I can get replacement standoffs shipped, but Corsair's support site doesn't list the HG10 N980 as a part yet. I'll have to explore other venues to get the parts.

Also, note the location of the USB port on the pump BEFORE mounting it. I mounted it backwards and ended up needing to take it back off, clean off the already smudged / streaked thermal paste, and reapply new...at least I had Arctic Silver 5 for spare.

Meanwhile...I have to wait for spare parts.

only tighten until snug, don't over tighten...my install went very well using the old h50

what is a snug ?

Well, that's the rub, isn't it.

Usually when I hear that, I think finger tight without forcing it.

So tighten loosely with fingers until you meet any change in resistance, then stop.

I will have to see for myself on Wednesday when mine arrive.