Corsair Community

Overclocking Dominator Memory

apopilot

I just built my new rig with EVGA's 680i and E6600 Core Duo. I also purchased the TWIN2X2048-6400C4D memory. I love the system.

Now it is time to overclock. Where do I start? My primary question is do I need to overclock the memory to overclock the CPU? What is the maximum limit in terms of voltage and Mhz for this memory?

Thanks,

Abe

I just got the same with the EVGA 6800GTX video the same memory and xfi sound card but I have the extreme QX6700 quad core. I think the EVGA motherboard is very nice and the memory is nice I left most setting stock and my Nvidia monitor says my cpu is running @1867.027MHZ myFSB is @1066.832 I would like some help running this faster just to see how fast it can go! I know my cpu is running cool @26c when I first booted the system my board was 36c and MCP 42c so I should be good for higher clock.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just built my first PC and am new to overclocking but I got my E6400 up to a stable 3.2Ghz with 1600Mhz FSB at 1.17volts. Runs 41 idle and 52 under load.

Memory is Twin2X2024-6400C4 Rev 2.1. I was a little discouraged to see all the overclocking issues with this memory and the Promos chips but I tried mine for the first time this weekend and got it right up to 900Mhz at 4,4,4,12 and 1000Mhz at 5,4,4,12. Voltage in both cases is 2.0volts and I don't want to run it higher to avoid excess heat.

My only real question now is which of the above is actually faster in the real world, the 900Mhz or 1000Mhz?

My only real question now is which of the above is actually faster in the real world, the 900Mhz or 1000Mhz?

Grab yourself a copy of Memtest+ and check your memory bandwidth, as well as stability, at both frequencies. Then decide which is better. IMO, 900MHz with tighter latencies should give you more...

You can download and burn the Ultimate Boot CD, it has a ton of utilities for testing your system, not only Memtest.

For the download location, Google is your friend..

Good luck!

• 4 weeks later...
I find it funny when I look at my 1st post about this ram and EVGA 680i board. The bios would set my QX6700 at the wrong multipliyer by default. The bios update has fixed this. I also found that if you do a bios update the steps must be followed like shut down reboot with default bios settings then shut down and restart go to bios and setup the way you like. If you don't it gets funky when runing windows. Also if you have ram bought before Nov 28,2006 it has crappy chips and can hardly over clock if at all. The good thing is the company will trade up if you prove date of sale and pay cost of trade up. I think that's great but I bought mine then and had spent money to get good speed if I want it! Well not to be this ram I have is a dog although it's a nice looking dog! My cpu hardly gets hot so I know it's the ram.I feel it's still not fair to pay for a upgrade to the 8500C5D when I thought I paid for a good overclocker in the first place! I will also need to pay for shipping so it adds up, not too happy! I can say Corsair is still the best ram money can buy and sometimes things happen so that's it. I will post my overclocking when and if I get the new ram.

everyone that is complaining about not getting micron chips, has only themselves to blame for not doing enough research, what ever chip is used they are tested to meet the specs and if they don't, corsair will replace them with no probs...as for some getting "lucky" and getting them in medium priced memory, thats life...but if you want the best chips, to be sure of better oc'ing potential, then do the research and buy them..thats why they cost more.. and corsair went above and beyond by allowing the upgrade if you bought before a certain date. thats great customer service..

I found this ram on the net before buying and evreryone said great overclocker that's why it comes with the label? These are not cheap to buy and even today found a web sit claiming Corsair module to reach reliable performance at PC8888 or 1111MHz at CAS 4 settings. I can't do that so what did they do to get that from the ram they used? Is there someone who could show me where I went wrong setting my computer up. As soon as you try and overclock my system it has problems. My system runs cool so not a heat problem. That is a corsair ad that I got the info about how this 6400C4D can overclock to PC8888 or 1111MHZ AT cas 4 settings. I guess it is my fault if it looks like a hot rod and reads like a hot rod I should look the other way it's really a mean bad tuff looking slow ram made to be all show and no go! Like the guy on the street selling big speaker boxes that fell off the truck and for you today only $200. but when you get home they look great but are only 5 watts of power my fault for trusting a stranger.

I found this ram on the net before buying and evreryone said great overclocker that's why it comes with the label? These are not cheap to buy and even today found a web sit claiming Corsair module to reach reliable performance at PC8888 or 1111MHz at CAS 4 settings. I can't do that so what did they do to get that from the ram they used? Is there someone who could show me where I went wrong setting my computer up. As soon as you try and overclock my system it has problems. My system runs cool so not a heat problem. That is a corsair ad that I got the info about how this 6400C4D can overclock to PC8888 or 1111MHZ AT cas 4 settings. I guess it is my fault if it looks like a hot rod and reads like a hot rod I should look the other way it's really a mean bad tuff looking slow ram made to be all show and no go! Like the guy on the street selling big speaker boxes that fell off the truck and for you today only $200. but when you get home they look great but are only 5 watts of power my fault for trusting a stranger.

Can you please show me the ad that claims PC6400 memory will run at PC8888 speeds. FYI, Corsair did not make that claim and does not endorse false advertising regarding our products. That's why we publish our specifications ourselves:

http://www.houseofhelp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=264192#post264192

http://www.houseofhelp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52348

Archived